VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Topic actions

First post, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In what I hope is relevant to this forum, since it's technically part of a "new system". If not, kindly tell me to go pound sand.

Has anyone downloaded the technical preview of Windows 10? If so what are your first impressions?

I loaded it onto a VM. Here are my initial reactions.

- A Microsoft account is required to install the OS, this is crappy, IMHO.
- OneDrive is enabled by default, turning it off is "not recommended", (need to look into this some more)
- If you don't customize the initial install, all of these options are enabled by default. I give you the "Wall 'O Snoop". I left everything on so I can play around with it.
[img]http://synthetica_media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/win10_wall_o_snoop.png[/img]

- After some simple, colorful screens you're presented with your desktop. Here's one with IE
[img]http://synthetica_media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/win10_desktop.png[/img]

- Here's one with the new "Start Menu" (edited my name)
[img]http://synthetica_media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/win10_start_menu.png[/img]

Reply 1 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't downloaded Windows 10 yet.

Are you sure about the account requirement?

I know with 8.1 you have to click "Create account" but at the bottom of the screen is a option to create a local account.

Even if it's not in the GUI I'm sure there is a workaround.

Does it come with DX12 yet?

Download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 84, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Are you sure about the account requirement?

I know with 8.1 you have to click "Create account" but at the bottom of the screen is a option to create a local account.

You are correct, sir. You can bypass.

DosFreak wrote:

Does it come with DX12 yet?

Not yet. According to this post on the developer blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/ … windows-10.aspx

DirectX 12 will ship when Windows 10 ships.

Reply 5 of 84, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Feeling nervous:
file.php?id=15757

Attachments

• Filename
    Win10.png
    File size
    34.87 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 84, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was wondering how the roll-out of this will work. I know there was a MS lead from India indicating that users of Windows 8 would be able to upgrade to Windows 9 for free. Then they announce that it will be Windows 10 instead of 9, and I was unclear if the two facts were related (i.e. sure you can upgrade to Windows 9 for free, cause it won't exist).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 10 of 84, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Hey, gl1zda, is that windows 7 you're running?

Yes, it was 😉 It took some time to upgrade (it's a ThinkPad X120e with AMD E-350 and 4 GB - a fast netbook, but still a netbook), but it seems WTP works quite well. I had to update the graphics driver (just clicking update in VGA properties worked) and reinstall Hamachi, but everything else seems to work. It looks like WTP is requiring less memory than 7, which is good - looks like they really optimized it for all the small tablets with Intel Atom. And, last but not least, no MS account is required.

EDIT: Okay, so there's the first problem: No XP Mode even after upgrading from Windows 7 (It seems it didn't work in 8 either).

Reply 11 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:
dosquest wrote:

Hey, gl1zda, is that windows 7 you're running?

Yes, it was 😉 It took some time to upgrade (it's a ThinkPad X120e with AMD E-350 and 4 GB - a fast netbook, but still a netbook), but it seems WTP works quite well. I had to update the graphics driver (just clicking update in VGA properties worked) and reinstall Hamachi, but everything else seems to work. It looks like WTP is requiring less memory than 7, which is good - looks like they really optimized it for all the small tablets with Intel Atom. And, last but not least, no MS account is required.

EDIT: Okay, so there's the first problem: No XP Mode even after upgrading from Windows 7 (It seems it didn't work in 8 either).

that's correct, xp mode doesn't exist since windows 8 anymore.

you'll have to use vmware workstation or client hyper-v (addable through add windows features in control panel).
and: get rid of your crappy old xp software 😀

Reply 12 of 84, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:

that's correct, xp mode doesn't exist since windows 8 anymore.

you'll have to use vmware workstation or client hyper-v (addable through add windows features in control panel).
and: get rid of your crappy old xp software 😀

Well, the problem is, I'm running this software because it is old. These were old MSDN Library discs - 16-bit apps. I hope DOSBox will finally support running Windows 3.1.

Reply 14 of 84, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
miljo wrote:

- OneDrive is enabled by default, turning it off is "not recommended", (need to look into this some more)

I can't imagine how disabling OneDrive would mess up OS functionality. :P

Though... thinking about it for a moment, it may simply be referring to OneDrive integration using a Windows account, thus allowing you to access it directly through the OS instead of having to go through the OneDrive website, and that disabling it would disable to ability to use those features, thus making OneDrive less convenient to use. *shrugs*

Just guessing. I don't use OneDrive or cloud storage in general.

miljo wrote:

- If you don't customize the initial install, all of these options are enabled by default. I give you the "Wall 'O Snoop". I left everything on so I can play around with it.

There's a similar page of settings on Windows 8. I've disabled them ALL. :B

2fort5r wrote:

Someone at Microsoft doesn't like the number 9?

I've heard two theories. One is that it sounds too negative in German. The more likely theory though is to prevent confusion with Windows 95/98, specifically in regards to search results.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 16 of 84, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the did very well in this case!
Windows 8 already messed the search results when searching for "blah blah windows 98"!

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 17 of 84, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard they skipped windows 9 because there are a lot of old programs out there that just check the version string for 'Windows 9' and assume its either 95 or 98.

Eplained further here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/geek/comments/2i0g19 … windows_10_and/

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 18 of 84, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

...sounds too negative in German

Gemini000 wrote:

The more likely theory though is to prevent confusion with Windows 95/98, specifically in regards to search results.

DonutKing wrote:

I heard they skipped windows 9 because there are a lot of old programs out there that just check the version string for 'Windows 9' and assume its either 95 or 98.

philscomputerlab wrote:

OS X

Occam's razor in effect?

Reply 19 of 84, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Eplained further here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/geek/comments/2i0g19 … windows_10_and/

Makes about as much sense as "because seven ate nine" 😉
MS isn't *this* gung-ho about backward compatibility, and even if they were, they'd just keep the "Windows 9" name and represent that "version" string differently. It's not like they've ever cared about consistency between the marketing name and the internal name, so why start now.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]