VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw this while poring over the local Craigslist, had to share it. The ad is for what looks to be a 2003 HP Pavilion. (Bold text added for emphasis; original posting here)

Fresh, clean-slate installation of Windows 7 Home Premium!
Downloaded and installed all possible Microsoft/Windows Updates (has been sitting for a bit, so more updates are most likely available). Installed Flash & Java and also applied a customized advanced performance optimization for the system. Installed Google's Chrome Web Browser, Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareByte's Antimalware, Spybot Search & Destroy and CCleaner. Also, other various free software applications to cover the user's basic computer needs; such as PDF viewer, VLC Media Player, iTunes, Picasa, etc. Applied a performance tune-up to the system; start-up program/services management, temp/cache/cookie file clean-up, visual effects optimization and paging file optimization.

I cracked up when I read that. I love how it says "fresh, clean-slate installation" and then proceeds to outline all the ways in which the installation is completely FUBAR. How much you wanna bet the machine is missing actual essential software, like drivers? Silly used computer dealers 🤣

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not only likely missing drivers, but how much you wanna bet its slower than molasses. A 2003 era computer running 7 HP with MULTIPLE anti-virus/anti-malware applications (all of which probably have their realtime protection enabled)...good grief.

Reply 3 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I help people at work with their home computers. I make sure that they have Microsoft Security Essentials and the firewall running but no other real time protection.
When I now and then service these systems I often have to deinstall MCAfee, AVG and Norton all running along side MSE and slowing the otherwise fast computers to a crawl.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 10, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I help people at work with their home computers. I make sure that they have Microsoft Security Essentials and the firewall running but no other real time protection.
When I now and then service these systems I often have to deinstall MCAfee, AVG and Norton all running along side MSE and slowing the otherwise fast computers to a crawl.

The free version of Avast! has pretty decent real-time protection, and doesn't slow the machines to a noticeable degree.

I agree about nuking McAfee, AVG, and Norton. Those suck nards. TrendMicro isn't much better.

I ran Kaspersky for a bit (it came free with my laptop), but I don't remember if it slowed anything down.

Reply 5 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Avast isn't bad, and Comodo isn't supposed to be bad either; the problem is when you get McNubbins deciding that he needs all 17 popular anti-virus applications running all at once. For the most part anti-virus isn't wholly necessary if you can convince McNubbins to not click everything he sees, download everything he comes across, etc and practice better habits, but it's just easier to load MSE/Avast/etc on there and walk away.

AVG was nice 10 years ago, but anymore it's just a big piece of adware for the paid version.

Reply 7 of 10, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a ThinkCentre M58 with 4GB RAM and Core2Duo CPU as my printer server and it takes 45 minutes to boot and McAfee to finish scanning / updating before the keyboard / mouse even respond. It does print just fine whilst doing this though.

Reply 8 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I use a ThinkCentre M58 with 4GB RAM and Core2Duo CPU as my printer server and it takes 45 minutes to boot and McAfee to finish scanning / updating before the keyboard / mouse even respond. It does print just fine whilst doing this though.

That's abominable.

Reply 9 of 10, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Crap like that is why I switched to Linux. Linux often infuriates me in other ways, but at least it's fast. Sometimes I think Microsoft, McAfee, and Norton are in collusion to make new computers slow so people will have a reason to upgrade.

PCGames9505