SB Audigy RX ms-dos compatability?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I am wondering if anyone has purchased the AUDIGY RX?

I'm now interested in this card, not because of MS-DOS, but because it seems to be the latest and greatest Creative card that still supports XP as well as all the new Windows versions. I'm assuming it has full EAX support under XP and through ALchemy under Vista+

Looing into it more, It is the latest but not so much greatest 🙁
Looks like its based on the older EMU10K1 like the Audigy vs the X-Fi's EMU20K2
If that really makes a difference is another thing.

Reply 21 of 29, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

>Duffman, keenmaster486
can you please test the Audigy RX with latest MPXPlay http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/#download under DOS?
It doesn't need any extra driver, it's built in MPXPlay and it should support all EMU 10k2 family (I use it with Audigy 2)
I don't expect it will work with old creative dos drivers but it may be added to libao and wss to support a few modern dos games/refresh like Qauke/Qauke2/Hexen...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 22 of 29, by ITzTravelInTime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have one, and i have created a modded version of the kx audio driver to let it to work on the latest mac os versions and it basically runs using the same driver code of generic 10k2 cards inside the kx audio driver and works better when using audigy 4 (sb0610) specific driver code in it, the dsp seems to be almost the same, so basically it should work using the code for the 10k2 audio processors if the bridge chip is not an issue to let the card to be detected, if you tell me what to do i can try it on an athlon 64 dos testbench machine to see if it is detcted by mxplayer, but i do not know how to use that player, or any software for the audigy series on ms-dos, i own this card mainly for his mac os compatibility and continue to develop the mac os driver for it

Reply 23 of 29, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi try to download latest DOS MPXPlay 1.61 here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mpxplay/MP … 1G.ZIP?download
unpack it on your DOS machine and run mpxplay.exe
Soundcard should be automatically detected, no command line options needed. Don't use any DOS SB drivers it's all built in. The player will start in interactive textmode UI, simply navigate to some directory with music and select some mp3/wav/wma... file to play. You should hear the sound (try both front and rear outputs, maybe only one output will be active) and you should see live spectrum analyzer and elapsed time on screen. In the top right corner you should see detected type of soundcard - something like "SBA" for SB Audigy family.

The PCI-E/PCI bridge on the soundcard should be fully transparent. PCI-E cards works the same as PCI on software level (PCI config space registers, bus-dev-func addresing scheme, etc.)

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 24 of 29, by ITzTravelInTime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RayeR wrote:
Hi try to download latest DOS MPXPlay 1.61 here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mpxplay/MP … 1G.ZIP?download unpack it on yo […]
Show full quote

Hi try to download latest DOS MPXPlay 1.61 here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mpxplay/MP … 1G.ZIP?download
unpack it on your DOS machine and run mpxplay.exe
Soundcard should be automatically detected, no command line options needed. Don't use any DOS SB drivers it's all built in. The player will start in interactive textmode UI, simply navigate to some directory with music and select some mp3/wav/wma... file to play. You should hear the sound (try both front and rear outputs, maybe only one output will be active) and you should see live spectrum analyzer and elapsed time on screen. In the top right corner you should see detected type of soundcard - something like "SBA" for SB Audigy family.

The PCI-E/PCI bridge on the soundcard should be fully transparent. PCI-E cards works the same as PCI on software level (PCI config space registers, bus-dev-func addresing scheme, etc.)

i have tried it on my i7 rig for a first test and it does tells me that i does not find the dos extenger in both extended and conventinal memory modes

Reply 25 of 29, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Copy dos4g.exe to same directory as mpxplay.exe or into system path.
http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/DOS4G261.ZIP

Reply 26 of 29, by ITzTravelInTime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

after downloading the dos extender it works fine! so you have a pcie card which works under dos like the audigy 2/4 cards and works on an i7 pci-e only rig with ms-dos 6 (i have usen ms dos 6 from the sd card i use in my p3 system with an ide adapter) so enjoy!

Reply 27 of 29, by ITzTravelInTime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

another updfate, i have tryed the audigy12 driver on the audigy rx and it's not detected by this driver, maybe it can detect those cards with some mods, it can work using generic 10k2 driver code, the only thing to mod in the driver is to add device ids for this card inthe audigy 12 driver if i am correct, to let the driver to detect and try to initializate the card

Reply 28 of 29, by ITzTravelInTime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Well, still, no way this card will work in DOS in any way shape or form. If does I would be shocked.

i got mine audigy rx to work on mpx player like a regular audigy 2 or audigy 4

Reply 29 of 29, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for testing. Currently I use SB Audigy as I still have 2 PCI slots but it's good to know there's solution for PCI-E only MBs.
You can also try Quake2 for DOS - it use similar drivers like MPXplay so it should work.
https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/
(it needs original game data files)