VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine recently gave me his old Core 2 Duo E8500 box, and it's a pretty nice machine. The only real problem it has is that it tends to run quite hot, and I would be tempted to just stick in a bigger heatsink than the POS stock cooler it has now, but it's in a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite case ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model. … x?id=C_00000216 ), so using a taller cooler isn't really an option. What do you guys recommend? I have debated simply transferring this system to my old desktop case, but I kind of like the smaller form factor, and I wouldn't have a readily-available case for my old Pentium Dual Core rig, since it uses a full-size ATX board.

If you're wondering how hot this thing gets, I've seen the CPU climb past 70c under heavy loads, using a Linux lm-sensors taskbar applet, though this is rather rare. The GPU reaches similar temps when I run FurMark. This is all with the case fans going full-speed, as they're wired right into the PSU with no manual control. 🤣

Reply 1 of 5, by TwOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to look about and I found two choices.

Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. It supports all LGA775 processors, and it isn't too high. According to Zalman's site it's 60mm high, and pretty quiet. You can find it now on NCIX for 34,99 CND$, plus 10$ mail-in rebate.

Cooler Master GeminII M4. Again a super low profile cooler, 59mm high. Again, supports all LGA775 processors. You might get some conflicts with high profile RAM. It's 32,28CND$ at DirectCanada.

LGA775 coolers are not that hard to come-by, but low-profile ones are quite a hard one.

A 90's kid reliving the 90's.
Win8.1: Core i5-4200H, GeForce 840M 2GB, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Win7: Athlon II X2 220, GeForce GT 610 1GB, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD
WinXP: Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 1.5GB RAM, 20+80GB HDDs

Reply 3 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Big Typhoon is *huge* - I highly doubt it will fit with the PSU installed in that case. But it is a very effective cooler (I have one on my Q9550). The pictures of that case show 40-60mm fans over the I/O shield and then right into the PSU. In my case I have a 120mm fan over the I/O shield, and the BT comes up pretty high on that fan - definitely would be taller than I/O + 60mm fan.

Reply 4 of 5, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TwOne wrote:
I decided to look about and I found two choices. […]
Show full quote

I decided to look about and I found two choices.

Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet. It supports all LGA775 processors, and it isn't too high. According to Zalman's site it's 60mm high, and pretty quiet. You can find it now on NCIX for 34,99 CND$, plus 10$ mail-in rebate.

Cooler Master GeminII M4. Again a super low profile cooler, 59mm high. Again, supports all LGA775 processors. You might get some conflicts with high profile RAM. It's 32,28CND$ at DirectCanada.

LGA775 coolers are not that hard to come-by, but low-profile ones are quite a hard one.

I like the way that Zalman cooler looks. I've managed to find the Extreme version of it on Newegg, and somehow it's $10 cheaper than the vanilla version on the same site. 🤣 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Ite … 8-127-_-Product