Common searches

Your favorite retro apps?

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess to define retro here, I'm going to go with anything that is broken by Win XP/Win 7. If it runs on DOS/Win 3.11/95/98 it is fair game.

Some of mine: Deluxe Paint II, Fractal Painter, Corel Draw.

Reply 1 of 54, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ChiWriter. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 54, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's hard to say since most things can be resurrected with a patch or a wrapper or an emulator, but let's say anything connected to floppy drives. I still have a floppy drive on my Windows 7 machine and it works but most people find it hilarious so I'm guessing any related software isn't exactly up-to-date according to them either.

Reply 7 of 54, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dacow wrote:

I've always had a fondness for Bluewave Offline Reader for BBS'es 😀

This, plus Norton Commander. I can't do any work on my dos-based pc's anymore without using Norton Commander, trivial stuff become really tiring once you're used to it.

Reply 10 of 54, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*shrugs*

People have been saying "app" as shorthand for "application" since long before smartphones became popular.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 54, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, that's what they were getting at. I thought perhaps it was a "only retro games here, we don't need no stinking applications" type thing. And yes, I don't see anything wrong with the abbreviation either. Pretty sure that's fairly standard.

Reply 12 of 54, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

appwiz.cpl

😀 Of course, the word "wiz" makes me uncomfortable too. So at work I say "application wizard" and nobody knows what I'm talking about until I walk them through the whole concept of the Run box.

Reply 13 of 54, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never come across the word Apps in the past. We had programs, tools, utilities, games, software, applications. But happy to be proven wrong. You can dig out your old posts from 10 years ago and have a look what you used to refer to 😀 Or find Deluxe Paint being referred to as App.

To me App = mobile application.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 54, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only ten years? Too easy. Already commonplace in 2001 for example,
http://web.archive.org/web/20010808064555/htt … ww.app-art.org/
http://www.glish.com/archive.asp?file=2001_12_02_archive.xml

Reply 15 of 54, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok maybe 10 years isn't old enough 🤣

Those links are pretty weak sources.

Let's stick with Deluxe Paint and Corel Draw as a challenge.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 54, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite classic DOS application is 3D Studio r4. It was the most fully-featured 3D program available for the PC at the time and one of the most expensive at about $3,000 per license. I learned the basics of 3D with it and then moved on to 3D Studio MAX in the late 90s.

I also had fun with AutoCAD - used it to make some basic 3D renders with a raytracing plugin called Accurender. And Norton Utilities came in handy for defragging and recovering bad floppies.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 18 of 54, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, 3d Studio was a really neat application, especially when all you're used to is Povray. I was able to buy version 3 on a student license but couldn't afford the upgrade to 3ds Max. I've since switched to other software but sometimes get the urge to locate an old copy of 3ds and fire it up. I was way more productive with a polygon modeler, although I've learned to do what I want to do with the software I'm using now. 3d Studio running on OS/2 Warp at the time was just amazing.

Reply 19 of 54, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My all time favorite DOS PROGRAM ("App"??? BAH! :Rich_thumbs_nose:) was the good old Norton Commander for DOS... been using that since it's first v1.0 incarnation back in the day 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net