VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone tested any of the current open source free games out there on old hardware?

and I mean current ones, not old stuff like tuxkart, xbill and circuslinux. and by old hardware, I mean before GFFX/R300...

Games like:

BZFlag
Cube/Sauerbraten
Megaglest
Minetest
Nexuiz/Xonotic
OpenArena
Rigs of Rods
Scorched3D
Teewars
Terminal Overload
The Dark Mod
Spring
SuperTuxKart
SuperTux (latest builds)

Most generally use OpenGL, though some may be anal to (unrealistically) require 3.x and some could (ironically) require platform-regressive MSVC2010 libraries or worse, so kernelex is advised.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 12, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not familiar with the hardware nomenclature...GFFX? R300? Only R300 I'm familiar with is a MIPS chip.

I've run some of these but not on any hardware old enough to be retro. Unless you consider a P4 with GMA 950 graphics to be retro.

Reply 3 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've played Scorched3D on a GeForce FX 5200 card in a Windows 98 SE system running at 2 GHz (single core). It ran alright for the most part, though I completely forget what my detail settings were like. Also, this was YEARS ago, before I even started ADG, so no idea what would happen if you tried that with a more recent version, assuming Scorched3D is still being worked on. (Never really got into it.)

The GeForce FX series of cards as we know are fairly decent for the time for raw polygon output, but their fragment shaders are damn slow, so I imagine any game using fragment shaders will perform very badly. :P

I actually got Oblivion running on that old system of mine at one point thanks to KernelEx. If you turned all the shaders off, the framerate would be fairly decent, but of course, everything looked terrible. Turn the shaders on and suddenly the framerate would be 2 to 4. (BUT, it did actually render properly, which I thought was impressive given the age of the card.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You I considered installing linux on one of my slot 1 machines but I just didn't think it would be worth my time. That is to say, no I haven't tried that.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they say that Linux runs on "everything", why does it have such a hard time with older PCs? I installed Linux on a Pentium II system a few years back, and it didn't really go over so well. 🤣

Reply 9 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Oblivion isn't exactlu FOSS...

Yeah... but I figured it was worth mentioning all the same. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If with Spring you mean the engine that runs, for instance, Balanced Annihilation, put in a couple bots and it will even make dual cores slow down. I can't imagine Balanced Annihilation running well (with bots that is) on anything that isn't a dual core or more.

And "tanks" for mentioning scorched3d, I used to play Scorched Earth yeeaars ago on a Pentium 3 I think, never even knew it existed 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well don't get excited, it's not a very playable game by any stretch........but many clinged on it for the novelty of a third dimension (AND LENS FLARES AND SPHEREMAPPED WATER!!!) before Worms 3D (all the way up to Worms Ultimate Mayhem) showed you can't ever artillery games well in the third dimension.
Scorched3D has other design flaws though like using realistic models of vehicles which don't show well on the map (and most of the community development seemingly go into these, complete with drama etc). It's a video game not a military simulator 😒

apsosig.png
long live PCem