VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am looking for this piece of software which is a trial version available in the long defunct company called Vibrant Graphics.

se131374.zip >Soft Engine 3.74p2 for AutoCAD 10, 11, R12&R13

The internet wayback machine archives of the website happens to have some other demo trials available for download, but the one that I am looking for is corrupted. If someone happens to archive a working copy of the trial, please share it here. Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I manage to salvage the corrupted zip from wayback machine and put it to work under DOSBox. The same setup also runs under QEMU, but DOSBox superior graphics subsystem put QEMU to shame on the performance.

Ah... what a nostalgia.

Filename
acad_000.png
File size
33.56 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Another...

Filename
acad_001.png
File size
29.96 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's AutoCAD R13 DOS + Vibrant SoftEngine 3.74 DOS.
In the days of AutoCAD DOS, the ADI display drivers were what making the day and night experience and productivity. I still remember my 1997 Matrox Mystique shipped with DynaView ADI driver as a differentiator to most cheaper S3/Cirrus OEMs which mostly bundled Panacea TurboDLD ADI driver.

I suppose that sort of program really benefits from running on a fast machine under dosbox.

Not quite. The machine I have is more than 5 years old. Core 2 Duo E8400 Win7 32-bit 3GB RAM + GeForce 9400 IGP. It is 3X faster than SoftEngine referece system in the past (1996-1998), which was an Intergraph Graphics Workstation based on P90 + 64MB RAM and Diamond Viper PCI.

Obviously, if you have a more powerful machine, such as Core-i5/i7/AMD FX/Kaveri APUs, you get even better performance.

Reply 4 of 5, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What exactly does Soft Engine do for AutoCAD?

I've been using AutoCAD since release 10 and never heard of it...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a software accelerator and productivity enhancement add-on for AutoCAD R11,12 and 13 DOS. You can use Internet Wayback Machine to check it out at http://www.vibrant.com/

The Windows version is less appealing compared to the enhancements the DOS version brought into the picture. No doubt, eventually the company was bought over by Autodesk as AutoCAD R14 ended the DOS side of the story.