VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone else giving Gabriel Knight HD a shot? I like the improved graphics (even with the wonkiness of Graces feet floating in and out of the stairs on Day One). I'm ambivalent about the new VO actor for Gabriel, since it's not gloriously over the top like Tim Curry's performance. I haven;t met Moseley yet, but I've got a bad feeling they;ve replaced Mark Hammil for the role. I do like the new actress for Grace Nakamura, since Leah Remini wasn't exactly up for the job.

Once I get a chance to play it all the way through (one of my favorite Sierra games of all time), I'll post a far more in depth review.

Anyone else playing it? Agree or disagree with my assestment? Feel free to chime in in the comments. Please try to keep the spoilers to a minimum for now.

Reply 1 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will be staying away from this thread in fear of spoilers 😊

I STILL haven't played the DOS original. The GOG.com version by the way has the complete ISO of the original CD version. Burn it and play it on your Retro DOS Gaming PC 😀

The price is a bit steep of the Anniversary Edition. So, as always, I will wait for a sale.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far, the remake seems to be very faithful to the original. But yeah, Tim Curry and Mark Hamill really sell the VOs in the original. Leah Remini is the weak leak in the chain. Honestly, the remake is almost as good as the HD remakes of Secret of Monkey Island one and two.

GK2 is OK, but it was one of the few FMV games that were worth a damn. The actor who played Gabriel in GK2 has a terrible accent. And avoid GK3 like the plaque. It was the worst game in the series.

Last edited by ElectricMonk on 2014-10-19, 01:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

I will be staying away from this thread in fear of spoilers 😊

I STILL haven't played the DOS original. The GOG.com version by the way has the complete ISO of the original CD version. Burn it and play it on your Retro DOS Gaming PC 😀

The price is a bit steep of the Anniversary Edition. So, as always, I will wait for a sale.

BTW, be aware that you'll need patches for the DOS original, since some puzzles are impossible to complete without the patches, due to timing issues with the CPU

Reply 5 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

BTW, be aware that you'll need patches for the DOS original, since some puzzles are impossible to complete without the patches, due to timing issues with the CPU

That shouldn't be a problem, my retro machine is on the level of a 386 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 8, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never played the original, but I'm about 5 hours into a 7 hour playthrough on Youtube, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Feels like they used The Sims engine to make this though.