VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a while I have been using sound fonts with timidity. Then I bumped into an older game that didn't sound right with soundfonts. It actually sounded better with MS GM of all things. Of course that meant it would sound even better with VSC, and more so with an ol' SC-55/SC-55mkii/...SC-88(Pro)?

I guess my point is, have their ever been midi tunes that sound better on an old sound canvas compared to high quality soundfonts?
Do any of you prefer the SC-55mkii or similar to soundfonts when it comes to midi tunes, especially since midi music is often composed with it or the microsoft synth in mind?

Just like your two cents, that's all

Reply 1 of 3, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roland Sound Canvas is also just one soundfont... what makes it so special for us retro gamers is that Roland was sooo popular back in the day that the game developers / music composers composed the sound tracks for Roland Sound Canvas. The result is that the music sounds AS INTENDED by the developer when you use Roland gear for playback. But of course it doesn't mean that every track sounds best when played back on Roland gear. Good example is Doom..It was composed for Roland but many people think it sounds better when played back with Yamaha soundfont. That may be due to more punchy drums, etc. Many people think that the sound font from KORG is even better.. but not due to the drums but due to the overdriven / distorted guitars.

What I want to say.. It always depends on personal preference. One should always keep in mind that the composers of the old DOS games music had the Roland Sound Canvas in mind when composing their game music; so it is most likely that you get the most balanced music experience when using Roland gear. But you will miss some great alternatives. That applies to modern high quality soundfonts as well as to different alternative soundfonts from back in the day.

I'd like to invite you to listen to my wavetable recordings I made from many different soundfonts from the 90ies: http://www.amoretro.de/soundkarten-und-wavetable-recordings

Cheers
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 3, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with the above posts. It's really a matter of personal taste.. For me, I've always loved the sound of a 2MB Ensoniq SoundScape or Roland SC-55 General Midi, but my horizons have been widened after hearing DOOM/DOOM2 with my Gravis UltraSound Classic with the proper DOOM/DOOM2 patches. It's even cooler because you can change drum sets on the fly!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg