VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was browsing through Ebay looking for DOS software and found a copy of 3d Studio release 3 for DOS. I have been looking for a legit copy and I knew right then I should have bought it but I didn't, for whatever reason (having to dig out my paypal password being one of them).
Hopped back on later that night and sure enough, it was gone. I know I can probably find it elsewhere but it would have been nice to have a pristine, boxed copy.

Anyway, you snooze you lose I guess.

Reply 1 of 9, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back when I was actively buying hardware I was watching an eBay auction for a Yamaha SW60XG. I have a habit of not bidding until the final stages of an auction and this particular one finished on a Sunday afternoon. Anyway I was at the park with my family and of course forgot all about it. The auction finished at something ridiculous like £4 🤣

Reply 2 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In 2012 when I was unemployed and couldn't buy parts, it seems eBay was flooded with all kinds of great stuff I'd been looking for for years. Now that I am flush with cash the land of vintage computer parts is barren.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 9, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good timing on this thread - I just had a major screw-up today. The Sapphire 9800 XT I was watching just sold for $0.99 + $5.00 shipping, and I completely forgot to bid. Kicking myself so hard right now! 😠

My only consolation is that I probably would have been outbid anyway...

PCGames9505

Reply 5 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I rarely regret missing anything on ebay. If someone outbids me for something, they're paying more than I feel it's worth so it's no loss to me. Sometimes something good slips completely under the radar, but that's usually because it is not described properly by the seller so my saved searches don't pick it up and not because of a lack of vigilance on my part. It's disappointing when that happens, but because it's not through any fault of my own I don't lose sleep over it.

Reply 7 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only major opportunities I missed were not stocking up on duplicates back in 2001 when things were dirt cheap (including shipping). Had no idea some of this stuff would be worth major money down the road. Of course I have no idea where I would have stored it all anyway. I get outbid all the time anyway, being cheap will do that.

I joined ebay back in Mach 2001.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 9, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple years ago I saw a Matrox M3D listed for $4.99, the seller had no idea what it was. I didn't buy it because at the time I was under the impression that PowerVR cards were trash and I didn't know how rare they were until later. I wish I bought it so I could try out MechWarrior 2 on it 😵

Reply 9 of 9, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kicking myself in the foot for not having any cash when I saw these Australian releases of Jill of the Jungle and the whole Commander Keen series with no bids on them. They were sold for a very good price and I wish I took advantage of that, would have had a legal copy of Aliens Ate my Babysitter and of course Jill of the Jungle.