VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I am trying to collect early Japanese MS-DOS (DOS/V) or Win95 games for PC.
Especially those with MT-32, GM or GS soundtrack.

I found games but most of the time it's kind of erotic adventure games (True Love, 3 Maids, Three sisters Story, Nocturnal Illusions, Fatal Relations, Mad Paradox, Cobra Mission, Knight of Xentar, Marble Cooking, Metal and Lace, VG Fighters, Xchange, Viper Games ...etc...)
I like to find shoot'em up, visual novel or action game that runs under DOS or Win9x with only a P166 Mhz.

I found Rusty, a kind of CastleVania, Pure Fighter Erika...
logo.png
If someone has some advices...

Last edited by DataPro on 2014-11-04, 15:23. Edited 1 time in total.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 1 of 25, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to suggest the "Fox Ranger" games I knew about as a kid until I looked up info on the developer and found out they were made in South Korea... still, 2D shooters as opposed to adult interactive novels... ;)

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/fox-ranger-series

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks. It seems it worth the try thanks !

Some adult (or not) interactive novel have good MIDI music 😉

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 3 of 25, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure how many of these will run on PC, or can run with emulation, but give it a look:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/JPNcomputers … ecomputers4.htm (it does mention Rusty so I figure it's probably at least in the ballpark for you; Rayxanber specifically came to mind and is mentioned).

You might try search terms like "shump," "STG," "bullet hell," "rail shooter," or "danmaku" for additional searching if your goal is shooting games. Just to show this in action, I tried "windows 95 + danmaku" and this was the first result:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Torte_Le_Magic (I don't know anything about this game, but from that page it looks like it's on topic)

Reply 4 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately the PC88-98 PCs had so much foothold in the Japanese market it's rare to see a proper IBM compatible DOS release from them beyond a few localized visual novels, wargames and H games, giving the false impression that's all the Japanese ever had for computer entertainment.

It wasn't until Win3.1/95 that changed all that 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a list of great Win95 games from Japan, you're welcome.

Reply 6 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found some insteresting games from Japan :

First an adaptation from an old PC98 game
Corpse Party :
http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_corpsepar … pc98/index.html
PC98
screenshot_03_pc98.png
PC
screenshot_01_rtxp.png
The game exists also on Sony PSP
731936-corpse-party-psp-screenshot-some-doors-and-windows-just-seem.jpg
There is also an anime.

Second, I've discovered that Clower Tower (a well-known game on PlayStation) exists in a Win95 version.
The game is a bit different because it's not 3D graphics but bitmap.
You can find an english translated version.
CTPC1.jpg

This version comes from the first Super Famicom game.
m5rc7zkJrteDGEN-Gy3OPYA.jpg

Reply 7 of 25, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity, wasn't there on this post or somewhere else a non very revealing screenshot of an eroge FM-towns game ? I swear I can't remember its name no matter how hard I try

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 8 of 25, by Magnuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After reading the post, I was so interested in playing them that I tried searching all over the net.

And I came across this :

Edit : Link Removed.

Would appreciate it if any of the forum members can enlighten me
if the page is providing the download links for the full games or just the music.

Thanks.

Last edited by Magnuz on 2014-12-03, 05:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't own an FM Towns and I don't read Japanese texts... maybe it's one of theses :

subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Out of curiosity, wasn't there on this post or somewhere else a non very revealing screenshot of an eroge FM-towns game ? I swear I can't remember its name no matter how hard I try

Ikazuchi no Senshi Raidi
578131-ikazuchi-no-senshi-raidi-fm-towns-screenshot-werebat-before.png
Angel Halo
575687-angel-halo-fm-towns-screenshot-making-sophia-outs.png

Last edited by DataPro on 2014-12-03, 08:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Magnuz wrote:

Would appreciate it if any of the forum members can enlighten me.

That page has emulator news from 2008, and nothing to do with the topic. I'm hoping you simply pasted the wrong link.

[EDIT]: Oh okay. What your Google search is twigging on is the hoot whatsnew, I think.
[Tool] hoot 20080427
hoot is a game music emulator. It executes the sound code (music and sound effects) to all kinds of games, both arcade, computer and console. It's pretty unlikely hoot would have been linking to the full version of any of those games in their whatsnew log, instead usually INI/XML files and sometimes snippets of copyrighted code/music extracted from the games, and almost never the full game - but I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

[EDIT AGAIN]: What you are looking at there are game EXTRACTION tools, to extract content like music files from within the games themselves, not the actual games. So such as it is, I believe hoot is completely legit (aside from mixing and matching various parts of emulators with possibly incompatible copyright licenses).

Finally, Magnuz, we don't support abandonware here, so you're better off not talking about hunting for downloads or asking where to download full games.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Magnuz wrote:

I thought being so old, these games would be free for all by now.

Are movies, music, and books from the same age and era free for all by now?
They're not? You don't say.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 25, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DataPro wrote:
I don't own an FM Towns and I don't read Japanese texts... maybe it's one of theses : […]
Show full quote

I don't own an FM Towns and I don't read Japanese texts... maybe it's one of theses :

subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Ikazuchi no Senshi Raidi
578131-ikazuchi-no-senshi-raidi-fm-towns-screenshot-werebat-before.png
Angel Halo
575687-angel-halo-fm-towns-screenshot-making-sophia-outs.png

Thanks. I really like the 256 color-esque kind of manga style PC-9801 and FM-towns games seem to share in common

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 17 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am also a fan of this low color graphic style.

This one is awesome :
The game is Atlantia on PC88 :
alantia15.png
alantia74.png
Intro04.gif

Too bad, there's no DOS port 😢 😢

Reply 19 of 25, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah guys, really impressive how one can manage to make things look so fantastic with such a limited color palette. It seems as if it were something almost unique of japanese developers/platforms.

More please

DataPro wrote:
I am also a fan of this low color graphic style. […]
Show full quote

I am also a fan of this low color graphic style.

This one is awesome :
The game is Atlantia on PC88 :

Too bad, there's no DOS port 😢 😢

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png