VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the past few days two of my videos on YouTube, which have been up for quite some time now, have become unmonetized pending online proof that the publishers of the game footage used allow video game footage to be used in other people's monetized videos. They never will be monetized again though because they're for games who's publishers have long since disappeared thus I have no means to prove anything. x_x;

Me personally, I don't particularly care. While YouTube tends to pay more per ad impression than Blip does, most of my viewership is on Blip anyways, and even then, ad revenue has never been substantial in any way and is a tiny fraction of what I get compared to direct support from Patreon. Heck, if YouTube keeps this up I may just unmonetize my entire channel out of spite. >:P

But, this has me worried for the people who are far more popular than me and rely on YouTube as a primary or secondary source of income. The thing is, YouTube reserves the right to unmonetize ENTIRE CHANNELS if they feel too many of your videos cannot be monetized or have been unmonetized due to a lack of proof of being allowed to monetize. Plus, YouTube's demands for how to prove usage rights requires that the publisher have a page on their website that specifically spells out that videos of their games can be monetized, and as most of us know, there's only a very tiny handful of game companies which explicitly state this on their websites.

I've stated before how it's virtually impossible to make a show about video games without showing video game footage. If this kind of crackdown on video game footage becomes the norm it's going to be nothing but a bad thing not just for video producers, but YouTube in general. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any idea why they are doing this?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is I mentioned this to you already but you keep ignoring it and wondering why your videos get flagged.

Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal. Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value.

Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization.

Your videos hardly SHOW anything specific. It's really a radio podcast with game play footage running in the background and you talking more or less non stop. For 90% of the video what you talk about is not related to what is on the video.

Just could just sit in front of the camera, talk like you already do and when you talk about something specific that have footage for, do a PIP to cover it.

The other option is to not monetize your videos, as the revenue is indeed peanuts and focus on Patreon.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 7, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ad revenue question is a very sticky one.

Certainly you can use game content for commentary and criticism, but many people use game music as a backing track, and that starts to blur the line. The whole thing is an ugly mess. 😀 Might as well have a good time until you get completely shut down.

Reply 4 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

The thing is I mentioned this to you already but you keep ignoring it and wondering why your videos get flagged.

Except there are thousands of channels that mainly/only use gameplay footage, and aren't just riffing to that footage.

LGR and AVGN for example.

The issue isn't the content that people like Kris upload, the issue is that the automated heuristic processes they use can't reliably distinguish between a video with good review/analysis/commentary voiceover, and a video with minimal voiceover, or no voiceover at all. Never mind being able to recognise the speech and make a judgement call on the actual content of that speech.

The trouble is that Youtube receives 100 hours of video content *per minute*. No army of outsourced labourers is big enough to apply the objective eye necessary to get all of these calls correct. Being that large, they have pressure to police copyright infringement with an iron fist, and that's what's happening.

It's easier, logistically, (and perhaps legally) for them to accidentally blacklist some percentage of good content, and fix it posthumously, than to not block some percentage of illegal content, and potentially be sued for millions.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fact that thousands of others are doing it doesn't change the fact that his videos are clearly against the policy. These other people are likely getting issues as well.

LGR does show a lot more "real footage". Be it showing hardware, booklets, box art...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

The fact that thousands of others are doing it doesn't change the fact that his videos are clearly against the policy. These other people are likely getting issues as well.

LGR does show a lot more "real footage". Be it showing hardware, booklets, box art...

By percentage, most of it is game footage, and it's clearly not "now I'm jumping up here, that was an interesting jump!" type stuff. It's analytical, like good reviews should be.

They aren't "clearly" against the policy. Kris' videos aren't "simply showing a user playing a video game" (the words you highlighted). Not by a long stretch of the imagination. Then also say "may" not be monetised, indicating that the whole thing is very subjective (and rightly so). Here is where the automated processes fall down, because machines are shitty at being subjective.

That rule exists to stop people from simply uploading a beginning-to-end capture of their CoD round from last night, and collecting revenue on it. No effort, no added value, no commentary, no review, just footage, making them money from nothing but InfinityWard's game assets. That is "simply showing a user playing a video game". Not Kris' reviews.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think everyone's missing my point here... These two videos that have been unmonetized so far have been monetized for SEVERAL months now, and then it's just all of a sudden, NOPE. And here's the thing, monetizing them again isn't difficult, YouTube just wants to know three things and you're back in business:

1. The name of the game.
2. The name of the game's publisher.
3. A link to a webpage on the publisher's website that explicitly says video game footage can be monetized.

...it's that last one which is the crux because most game publishers don't explicitly state this anywhere because if they DID, it opens the door to the kinds of videos they DON'T want put out, like full play-throughs with zero commentary. Most game developers though WANT people to talk about their software and showcase bits and pieces in the process, because that's a part of how viral marketing works and it's free publicity for their products. Not to mention it doesn't help that a number of the game's I've covered don't exactly have websites that can be looked up anymore. :P

The thing is though, we're arguing a point that's taken us two steps backwards in our progress as a civilization.

The first point: Many of us use computer programs on a regular basis to create things like artwork, music, stories, webpages, even more computer programs. The program we use gives rise to something new. When we play a video game, the exact way the game is demonstrated is vastly different for every person and every session. The performance is, in and of itself, a creative work. For a long time, this was held true, but now thanks to those rare players in game production who hate video game footage being posted online, the notion is that this form of derivative work shouldn't be acceptable despite the time and effort it takes. It's actually similar to how the music industry works in that you can't legally perform someone else's music without paying the owner of that music to do so, and people have taken issue with that for the longest time even before YouTube existed. (This is a part of the reason why some blatantly obvious songs like "Happy Birthday" go unused in television shows and movies.)

The second point: Reviews of entertainment such as video games and movies have been around for ages in video form thanks to television programs. Now, one could argue that those programs would need to get permission before they could show anything, since in the music and television industry you need permission for EVERYTHING, (and you often need to cite the exact points in time when those elements will be in use), but then, who's going to say no? If a company DID say no, the television program would then be like, "We wanted to do a review of Death Laser Space Warriors, but the publishing studio has declined our request to review their movie, so instead, here's the movie Stellar Laser Wars from a different publishing studio." Denying a request from someone to review something is shooting yourself in the foot because they can turn right around and use your denial as ammunition to hurt your sales. A scathing review is actually BETTER, because people don't always agree with a reviewer and may be curious to try something themselves just to see for themselves how bad it is, whereas if the reviewer says they're not allowed to review something, that actually discourages people completely from giving it a try.

MY point: Unless there's some major changes in the future, we're heading down a dark path in terms of video game related content on video services and there could very well come a time when no one will ever review anything without explicit permission, which will hurt many game developers and publishers as they struggle to get their legal experts to agree to put these clauses in their websites. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg