VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all I was sitting using a few of my Windows 98 computers and it occured to me that my Packard Bell was the only one with a desktop wallpaper. I custom made one for it in blender3d but I was wondering what Desktop Wallpapers do you guys use? I'm sure there are some really cool vintage ones I'm missing out on. 🤣

(Please keep it clean, I don't want to see any naked women or stuff of that nature.)

Here is the Packard Bell Desktop Wallpaper I made, it looks a little weird on an LCD but it look great on a CRT.
vintage_packard_bell_desktop_wallpaper__800x600__by_mad_king_corduroy-d85h1zk.png

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I typically use landscapes and/or fantasy wallpapers that aren't a pain when looking at it. Every single rig I build gets it's own unique wallpaper, it adds to the personality of a build 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 25, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

None.

Reply 3 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can understand that I guess, I mean there is something to be said for just having a plain teal background. Personally I'm beginning to agree with Tetrium though that it gives the computer a little more of a personal feel.

Reply 4 of 25, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Historically, all of my desktop pictures have a lot of deep purple in them. Not intentional, just mostly ended up that way. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 25, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LSL-Love for Sail in-game wallpapers and some Lara Croft stills..🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 25, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My main computer cycles from over 1000 wallpapers (arranged thematically and dimensionally, controlled with DisplayFusion); I usually just grab a sub-directory or specific file that I like for an old machine. If said machine can run XP it can run XP's WP changer (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … s.aspx?id=18097) and I can just setup a folder with various options then; it isn't quite as full-featured as DisplayFusion, but it's still functional.

Reply 7 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my 486, CHESS.BMP from Windows 3.0.

On my 233MMX, plain teal background.

On my P3, the older 3Dfx logo (high res capture from RetroCompaqGuy's video).

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

On my P3, the older 3Dfx logo (high res capture from RetroCompaqGuy's video).

I can give you the original? 😉

Ooooh! Yes please!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Btw, do you mean from the 3DFX video or the logo shown in the intros?

The one shown in the intro is this file:
3dfx2.gif

For the video I don't think I have the original recording any longer. I have the file that I uploaded to Youtube, but I should recapture it in higher quality. I've learned a thing or two since I got my capture card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In period correction mode I just slap on a desktop theme I was using at the time. Unfortunately the desktop theme I was using at the time is MISSING FROM THE INTERNET and i'm going at many lengths to get it, going beyond archive.org, turning toward even the email protocol for getting to old webmasters!!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 25, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Gateway P200MMX, this thing I drew myself.

On my Toshiba 486 DX4/75, the same background as it was in this pic, only with Windows 3.1 instead of 95.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 14 of 25, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 486 (with Win95) I just use the opening museum attic shot from Fate of Atlantis (aspect ratio corrected and upscaled so it still looks crisp without any distortion or pixel-blurring). On my Win98SE Pentium machine I just use the default clouds background. Always loved it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 15 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a plethora of wallpapers that I use. Early Quake 3 shots are usually up to it, but I also use concept art or promotional 3D renders from video games (Heart of Darkness, Starcraft, Outcast...).

Reply 16 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah there's that brief period in late 2000-2002 where I used wallpapers of games, some games even cancelled, from GameWallpapers. Unfortunately this is also the post dot-bomb period where all those neat desktop themes sites died and one of the two standing were a spyware installer wrapper to all of them with an annoying affiliate program to shell itself as many different theme sites.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 25, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A nice, deep, calming teal.

Mmmmmm.

Reply 18 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Now that you say that I really have to agree. There is something about dark teal that is appealing and easy on the eyes.

Reply 19 of 25, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always use a wallpaper to match whatever graphics card I'm using at the time. Most of the time this is either a Nvidia or 3DFX wallpaper. Used to use fantasy or sci fi wallpapers but stopped because most of them make the screen look too cluttered.