VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a make shift backpack that I think was originally a school bag. This poor thing has had the absolute SHIT abused out of it. It tries tearing at a seam but I sew it back together like Frankenstein. The straps have fallen off midway through my walks/jogs multiple times and I sew it back on and fix it. The poor thing is holding on but I'm not sure for how much longer. It's had zippers broken off and lost in the war but I cannibalize zippers from other less vital parts of the pack to use on more vital parts. All in all this backpack has probably "died" about 10 times, but I keep bringing it back.

I need a new backpack. A durable long lasting one. It needs to hold a lot of weight and never break. Anyone got any recommendations? Should I just skip out on all of the typical consumer stuff and go straight into military grade?

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about jogging with it but I've had these:

Bough this one in 2008 and used it all the way up to Dec 2012 before I deployed. No issues and nothing broken.
JanSport Odyssey Backpack (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID491A/r … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought the below in 2012 for my deployment since my unit never gave us any backpacks (well they did a month before coming back and they weren't 72 hour bags):
5.11 3 Day Rush Backpack, Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019MPNNC/r … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this backpack. Expensive but well worth it.

I actually bought two. Multicam for the deployment and then black when I got back since according to the regs you can't have a multicam backpack with a non multicam uniform (most people don't care tho)

The black I use now for civilian and military and I plan to use the multicam as my bug out bag if I ever get around to packing it.

Both have plenty of pockets to lose stuff in. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For durability have a look at the "klettersack" style packs by any reputable company. This is an old alpine climbing design. No body zips to break. Compression straps to make the bag snug around its contents. They have long straps to the lid so you can 'overfill' it tall on laundry days, and/or capture a rolled-up item like a sleeping bag or pad there. The lid usually has a zip on outside and underneath, giving you two small-item pockets. Often you get one more zip pocket on the rearmost panel.

Currently have a 1980s Taiga brand one in the closet, containing my earthquake kit. Have a lot of miles on that bag, and it's basically intact and fully functional. If stolen, I'd get another.

FWIW I used to be something of a gear-head. Did stupid things like worked as a bike messenger in Toronto.

Reply 3 of 6, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
I don't know about jogging with it but I've had these: […]
Show full quote

Bough this one in 2008 and used it all the way up to Dec 2012 before I deployed. No issues and nothing broken.
JanSport Odyssey Backpack (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID491A/r … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought the below in 2012 for my deployment since my unit never gave us any backpacks (well they did a month before coming back and they weren't 72 hour bags):

I actually bought two. Multicam for the deployment and then black when I got back since according to the regs you can't have a multicam backpack with a non multicam uniform (most people don't care tho)

The black I use now for civilian and military and I plan to use the multicam as my bug out bag if I ever get around to packing it.

Both have plenty of pockets to lose stuff in. heh.

Ahah! The 5.11 Rush, that's the one I kept reading about but forgot the name of, thanks for the info

pewpewpew wrote:

For durability have a look at the "klettersack" style packs by any reputable company. This is an old alpine climbing design. No body zips to break. Compression straps to make the bag snug around its contents. They have long straps to the lid so you can 'overfill' it tall on laundry days, and/or capture a rolled-up item like a sleeping bag or pad there. The lid usually has a zip on outside and underneath, giving you two small-item pockets. Often you get one more zip pocket on the rearmost panel.

Currently have a 1980s Taiga brand one in the closet, containing my earthquake kit. Have a lot of miles on that bag, and it's basically intact and fully functional. If stolen, I'd get another.

FWIW I used to be something of a gear-head. Did stupid things like worked as a bike messenger in Toronto.

Interesting, never heard of these, will have to read about them more.

Reply 4 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW: I've had great success with a Briggs & Riley soft-side bag, and the company's warranty/service as well. The first one I originally bought sometime around 2006 was damaged by an automated baggage mangler (it looked almost brand new after 2 years of daily use before that), I sent it back to the company and got a replacement in the mail within a week or two (and it really was that simple from what I remember). The replacement has been solid ever since - not a single problem with zippers, clasps, etc and all of the fabric is still very crisp looking (it's all ballistic nylon on the outside). It stands up fairly well to weather too - I wouldn't call it entirely waterproof, but a little rain is nothing to fear for interior contents. It is not, however, a backpack. 😊

For hard-sided I've heard excellent things about ZERO Halliburton and Tumi, but I've also heard that fakes are unfortunately common, so make sure you're dealing with a reputable dealer. Unfortunately I don't really care for hard-sided, because you can't crush them into overheads, so I can't really speak from experience there (just going from what I've heard from other folks).

The only other thing that comes to mind is an external-frame Kelty - I've seen many examples from the 1960s and 1970s still in service (mine isn't quite that old, but it's certainly not new); they're very durable in my experience. But nothing I'd want to wear on a daily basis if I could help it.

Reply 5 of 6, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
I don't know about jogging with it but I've had these: […]
Show full quote

I

Throwin this a smidge off topic. I work for a railroad an go out of town every day an a half or so (lay over in a hotel). You guys think this would work well for my purpose? I carry a hand held radio, lantern, gloves, saftely glasses, couple folders (one is about 4 inches thick (rule book)). As well as a pair of shoes, change of cloths, assorted small items and a laptop.

Reply 6 of 6, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OGIO bags are really good from my experience. There are tons of small compartments in their bags purpose built and designed for electronics. They are built very well too...good quality all around.