VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there! We're thinking of doing some IPX netplay retro gaming at the office, so I'm making a list of games that would be cool to play. I was thinking of Carmageddon and Death Rally, they have the benefit of being not too difficult for first-time players, unlike, say, Settlers II.

Anyone have any other suggestions? 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...your office has an IPX network with old computers on it? :O

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 12, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about the old Command & Conquer games? I seem to recall playing those on IPX. Also Warcraft: Orc's -v- Humans (1 & 2.) Were any of the DUNE games IPX enabled? Ack... I just don't remember 🙁 In case you haven't noticed, a bit of a RTS fan 😀 Though I prefer the fantasy ones for the most part.... Love the "sexual harassment" accusations in Warcraft II 😀 (You never touch the other elves like that...)

Feeding Dragon

Reply 5 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dune.......2000 is 😀

But as for easy to play without prior experience on IPX I don't think it gets more straightforward than Netwars
(not to be confused with NetWAR which is a subscirption-based 2d overhead soldier shooter released in 1997)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 12, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, was Archon Ultra IPX or Modem only? I used to have it, but never found anyone to play it against back in the day.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 12, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

...your office has an IPX network with old computers on it? 😳

We're gonna be using Dosbox 😉
I've got an IPX network at my home in Holland but I'm working in London temporarily...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think some RTSes are kinda hard to get into for beginners but it seems everybody who's interested has played Warcraft II at some point. 😀
Duke Nukem 3D is also a very good suggestion.

Reply 9 of 12, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not entirely sure, actually—my idea was to do IPX net emulation, that's what we've done in the past. It seemed to work well, but maybe there's a better way?

Reply 11 of 12, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can run Windows games Viper Racing had a fun IPX network play implementation. So did A-10 Cuba but it's not the kind of game you can just jump into.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 12 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I for one second playing DOOM. I had tons of fun when me and my friends used to use the library computers in our school to host death matches. 🤣

We also used to play Quake 1 and 2. Good times.

You could also play modern ports of old games like the Dark Engine for Quake, Eduke32 for Duke3d and OpenRA for a modern implementation of Command and Conquer. OpenRA is also available for most distro's of Linux. 😁

Oh on that note Total Annihilation is AMAZING and so you should definitely try the Spring engine with the XTA modpack.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!