VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 101, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going to throw in another post as some regrets come to mind. I once gave away a V3 2K pci to a friend who later threw it away back in 2007 then again to someone else I gave away a netbook sized pentium 4 laptop that would have been good for 98, and last but not least I had no choice but to throw out a server grade AT case that had two hot swap 300w power supplies. 🙁

I can already feel the shame as people feel how hard it is to source an AT case of any quality these days let alone a good one.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 61 of 101, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I regret throwing away my old Trinitron CRT monitor when I was moving out of my parents apartment.

That thing was able to do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz.

I threw it out because it was huge and heavy back then, but now I want it back! 🤣

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 62 of 101, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote:

I regret throwing away my old Trinitron CRT monitor when I was moving out of my parents apartment.

That thing was able to do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz.

Probably gave you such a nice tan, too.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 63 of 101, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus CUV4X-D with two 1100?? MHz Xeons. It even had the highly DOS-compatible 686B integrated audio. In my defense, the board was flakey as shit and eventually just stopped booting altogether, but yeah, I could have fixed it. Ah well.

I gave it to a high school student trying to build his own Folding cluster on a budget, along with a pile of networking gear & some P4 boards. Hopefully it found worthy purpose there.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 65 of 101, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sold this and the drives and a bunch of other cool stuff. But this tower was by far the coolest computer I've ever had. I traded a few DVDs for it on Craigslist a couple years ago. Did get a decent amount of money for the machine but still; look at how damn amazing it was. https://imgur.com/a/0O85a

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 67 of 101, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought of one more thing that I really regret getting rid of: A Dell Latitude CP M166ST laptop, I was lucky enough to find a working one at a cheap price on eBay back in 2012, it was wonderful until I got really pissed off at it because its hard drive died (I was too young to know that hard drives had a finite lifespan back then) and broke the keyboard and screen, after that I parted it out and sold the motherboard at RE-PC.

I really wish I knew better back then because I could've had my DOS/2D Windows 9x gaming laptop needs met with that thing now that I know the Crystal CS4237 codec has DOS drivers (I also didn't know about that back then) and it was one of the elusive TFT laptops from that time. Now those old '90s laptops are worth too much money to be worth the gamble and the only DOS-friendly ones I have are a '98 Toshiba with a shitty DSTN screen and an NEC sub-notebook with only an external CD drive (no floppy there 'cuz it can only use USB floppy drives) so here I am relentlessly looking for a good 486/Pentium 1/2/Early Celeron laptop with a TFT screen and DOS-compatible sound, I really hope I get lucky enough to find one at an affordable price. 😢

Reply 68 of 101, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My old floppy disks, including original Wolf3D registered and Doom II floppy disks that had corrupt disks that could have probably been re-imaged.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 69 of 101, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I regret giving away my original Adlib card to a friend back in 91 when I got my first sound blaster. Had I known what Adlib cards would go for today....yeah.... Good thing i kept my SCB-55 and still have my LAPC-I I guess?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 71 of 101, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking back I can't remember ever doing something like that. I'm a certified, card-carrying hardware/software hoarder, so here it either rusts away or temporarily mimetizes out of sight.

Now just ask the ladies how much they like it...

Reply 73 of 101, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Schneider labeled Amstrad PC1512 I got off a local computer forum for a box of beers.
Maschine had the 20MB HDD and was upgraded to 640 KB by using 1 MB of chips from a 286.
I lend it to my ex girlfriend for some text processing.
At the time I asked her for return she allready passed it to someone else.
All left are the manuals and the original software inluding GEM and some text processing.
Still have to check if it runs on a different XT class maschine

A Commodore Amiga 2000 I was given for free I sold in a local forum due to lack of interest in Commodore stuff.
Found ethernet and bridge-board adapters for the maschine later on local flea market.
Snatched both for a low price and sold them in the local forum as well.

A PPro 150 MHz maschine with ASUS baby AT board I gave to my brother and never got it back.
Reminds him to ask him for my Thinkpad T60 I lend him a year ago.

Reply 74 of 101, by Teggun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably have given away more stuff that i can remember, but off the top of my head there are two cases.

The entirety of my NES game collection was given away/sold to random people when i wasn't looking, along with the console itself too.
I gave away my PS1 to a friend as a present for their birthday with some games, since i already had managed to save up for a PS2 at that time, and it could play PS1 games as well, but i still miss it because of the way it looked, i liked the design, and of course because of the nostalgia factor.

No others come to mind right now but i'm sure there are plenty if i gave it some thought, pretty sure i have given away some computers as well, but i can't remember too well what was inside those PC cases, probably nothing exceedingly rare... probably.

Reply 75 of 101, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will never forget the time I junked our old Compaq Presario 433 when I was in my late teens; there was nothing wrong with it, I just though its worthless and just cullterring up closet space...longing for it actually brought me to retro computing in the first place!

Reply 76 of 101, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have more or less, bought the things again that I regretted giving away. What I am missing, is an Amiga1200 with GVP-TurboJaws-II 030 accelerator and SurfSquirrel PCMCIA-SCSI controller. I really miss that machine, and I regret giving it away. Actually I sold it for way too little money, and basically gave it away in that sence. All the rest of my previous stuff, have been repurchased.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 77 of 101, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leonardo wrote:
QBiN wrote:
snorg wrote:

My youth.

🤣. Now that's funny.

No it's not! 😳

I say the same.... Not funny. I threw my youth away, by living without any goal. Switching between jobs and different educations. I was allways busy working or other things, yet I did not live by any master plan. I wasted a lot of time on computers, and woman too. Oh well... At least it was a fun youth.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 78 of 101, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In 2002 I decided I was going to clean up my geek life.
So I recycled all my 486 computers and stuff from the 1990’s.
I only keep a couple computers with Pentium-3.
I got rid of all my UNIX computers too.

I did fine up until 2014 when I started buying old computer stuff.
I have much more and better stuff today than I had back in the 1990’s.
But I still regret recycling those old computers.

I am NOT really into these NEW computers.

I have a few Haswell based PC’s and some MacBooks and iPads.
I have had 16-core Xeon computers in the past but for now I am satisfied with quad core CPU’s.
I don’t do any video editing or rendering so I don’t need a powerful computer.

Actually, I think all you need for modern communications is an iPhone and iPad.

These old computers are just for playing old games and running old programs.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-05-30, 16:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 101, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does selling count? I regret selling my 2014 MacBook Air.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!