VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 42 of 101, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Unfortunately most of us regarded the boxes as a waste of space and threw them out as soon as we got them. 🙁

Most game boxes were useless outside of the fake art they used to get us to buy the games. But the old game had real manuals (lucas flight sims), company game catalog (SSI), maybe a copy protection lookup, some misc maps and game pieces (Ultima for one) and the box kept all that together. These days you get a small box that hold a DVD jewelcase and maybe a slip of paper to advertise something or contain your serial number.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 44 of 101, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A complete 486 with
4DPS pci motherboard with an Intel SX 33Mhz (why did I put that cpu on it I still don't know) with my Turtle Beach Monterey.

Gave the system to a friend because he wanted to "make music", eventually he gave the PC to his mother and left the country. 😢
That was in 1999, haven't found a Monty since then, looking at the manuals and stuff on the book shelf atm. 🙁

zida-tomato-4dps-v2-1-socket-3-mothreboard-amd-am486dx4-100-8mb-ram_251713019392.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 45 of 101, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First things first. 90s for sure

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 46 of 101, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First thing was a V-Tech Laser 200 (back in late 80's) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTech_Laser_200, soled it on a flee market.

Once I had an IBM PS/2 model 30, thrown away.

And than a lot's of Apple computers, Mid to end 90's models (didn't had the place back than to store). Even things as a Black Perfoma. Well mostly to new homes.

Amiga 500 Tiger design..... never came back from family member for fixing bad disk drive (well that was in 1993 or 94)

And I won't even start off all the 486 and Pentium stuff.

Reply 47 of 101, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My beloved MSI pro266td master lr paired with two p-IIIs 1400.
And a GA586DX.

I always think about them... Like beautiful girlfriends gone... 😢

Reply 48 of 101, by MrFixit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me it would have to be My first "build". I was always broke as a kid, so I was always running on computers that were well out of date. For instance I was using an IBM-XT until 1994 as my main computer. I had "upgraded it with a tiny turbo 286 card in 1992, but at 6mhz and an 8 bit bus, it was very limited in the era of 386 computers. In 1994 I found a 386-sx-16mhz board used at a local radio shack, and felt like I was the king of the world!

Finally, we get to the first rig I built. In early 1996 I bought a bare bones 5X86 133mhz computer with a new AT case. I loaded it with 8 meg of ram, and transferred my isa video card. THIS THING WAS ON FIRE compared to a 386-16 1 meg!

from 1996 to 2001 I loaded it down. Adding a PCI ATI All in wonder pro, a whopping 128 meg of ram, 3 hard drives of various size, and a even a CD burner. I over clocked the chip to 160mhz and it worked fine with windows 98, and early internet (I didn't get online till 1998 anyway, I was still using BBS's till the end)

Anyway I eventually upgraded to a K6-2 333mhz and reused the case from the 5x86 for it. Stupid me got rid of the M919 mainboard, and transferred all the other stuff over to my new computer. It was only a few years later that I started to miss my old computer, and not a day has gone by when I don't dream of rebuilding my ultimate system. That 5x86 was the first time I ever had a somewhat "current system" the P133 was pretty much top of the line at that point, so my P75/90 wasn't far from the front!

I used that computer to do video editing, video recording, play mp3's from napster. pretty much the same things any modern computer can do. The All in wonder card was the bee's knees! The only limits back then to video editing was hard drive space. You would have to edit up one part of your project at a time, and then burn it to CD, move to the next part, and so on. then when all the parts were done, you'd flush the hard drive, and copy all the finished parts back from CD to finish the project.

Seemed Ok at the time, and the 128K (A LOT for a 486 in win 98) made life a lot easier. I used MGI video wave to edit everything.

Anyway. that's my regret. one self built 5X86 160mhz M919 VIP mainboard with 256k cache slot, maxed out to 128K 72pin memory, a 4 meg pic ATI All In Wonder card, 4x CD writer, and 3 hard drives. 850meg,3.2gig, 2gig. windows 98, and a bunch of other software.

Reply 49 of 101, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFixit wrote:

For me it would have to be My first "build". I was always broke as a kid, so I was always running on computers that were well out of date. For instance I was using an IBM-XT until 1994 as my main computer. I had "upgraded it with a tiny turbo 286 card in 1992, but at 6mhz and an 8 bit bus, it was very limited in the era of 386 computers. In 1994 I found a 386-sx-16mhz board used at a local radio shack, and felt like I was the king of the world!

Anyway. that's my regret. one self built 5X86 160mhz M919 VIP mainboard with 256k cache slot, maxed out to 128K 72pin memory, a 4 meg pic ATI All In Wonder card, 4x CD writer, and 3 hard drives. 850meg,3.2gig, 2gig. windows 98, and a bunch of other software.

wow, so by judging your background I bet you are using a PIII by now ? just kidding. And welcome to the forum!

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 51 of 101, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leonardo wrote:
QBiN wrote:
snorg wrote:

My youth.

🤣. Now that's funny.

No it's not! 😳

Yeah, it really isn't, but what're ya gonna do? You make your choices and you spend your time how you spend it. Growing up I always had my nose in book or dicking around on my computer, well into my 20s.
From time to time I wish I'd pursued other things, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Reply 52 of 101, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember I threw out and sold these items

Thrown out In 2001
IBM PS/2 Model 30 then sold the original 14" VGA monitor for 50 pence at a car boot sale
IBM PS/2 Model 55 (which had 8MB ram!) along with the 12" crt monitor
Compaq Deskpro 386s with it's original VGA monitor
Amstrad PC3286
Amstrad ALT-386SX

Thrown In 2006
3 AT Cases with turbo and MHz display

Sold Around 2003-2005
Then sold 3 AT 486s £30 for all three of them which contained a Number nine VL-Bus graphics
A Complete Pentium 66MHZ Tower with the FDIV Bug and Creative Labs CR-563 2x drive for £12 at a car boot sale
More 486s with Mitsumi LU005S drives in them

Plus more than I ever remember. Photo taken back in 2002 with my first 2 megapixel digital camera.
Pcs.jpg

Reply 53 of 101, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this thread is old, and there are others like it from the time, but I wanted to resurrect it (if that's okay) anyway.

When I was single-digit age in the 90s, we had four computers I can remember fairly well: a Packard Bell (tower) with a Pentium 75 that came with Win95 out of the box, a custom all-steel ATX with an AMD K6-2 233 and an S3 Virge card of some sort (played Descent II patched for the S3 so much, it looked awesome!), a custom standard ATX with an AMD K6-2 350 and onboard everything, and in the late 90s, my parents bought me my own computer for the bedroom: a HP Pavilion 6530? I know it was a mini-ATX and had an Intel Celeron 433, 64mb SDRAM, onboard Intel graphics and sound, and two empty PCI slots -- one of which I later occupied with a Voodoo 3 3000. Shortly after we moved in 2000, we got rid of all those computers, either by donating to family or outright tossing them, although I did hang on to the Voodoo card.

Fast-forward to 2010, my neighbor brought over a bunch of old brand-name computers from the dump, all in good cosmetic shape, and some with a complete set of peripherals. Best that I can remember, they included:

Set of three identical HP towers (can't remember model no.) that seemed to be used for business / server purposes
- Intel Pentium P54CS S7 166
- 4gb WD SCSI HDDs (all three were failing)
- On-board SVGA, no sound

Compaq (can't remember model no.) full ATX for business / server purposes
- Intel Pentium Tillamook 266
- On-board SVGA and sound
- 6gb SCSI HDD
- 16x IDE CD drive

Compaq Presario 5170
- Intel Pentium II Deschutes 350
- 64mb PC100 SDRAM
- On-board ATI Rage LT Pro
- 10gb HDD
- 32x CD drive + ZIP drive
- Included original monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and printer!

AOpen custom PC, standard ATX
- AOpen AX63 Pro MB
- Intel Pentium III Coppermine Slot 1 500
- 128mb PC100 SDRAM
- 3dfx Voodoo 3 1000 w/ heatsink
- SB Live! Value
- 20gb HDD
- Creative 52x CD drive

When I got them, I cleaned them up and played with them for a couple months before heading back to college. Aside from the HPs, everything worked just fine. I left them with my dad in his shed on a shelf -- all the towers, all peripherals, etc. One day a couple years later, he asked if I wanted to keep them around, as he was about to clear out some of the junk from the shed. I opted to keep the Compaq Presario tower by itself; had upgraded it with an old Voodoo 3 3000 PCI I had from when I was a kid. Also kept the AOpen system, which I had upgraded with a Voodoo 5 5500, a SB Live! 5.1 Platinum w/ front plate, P3 933, and 1gb of PC133 (way overkill for Win98, of course). But I said nah to the rest, they're not really worth anything.

I don't really miss the HPs, but man do I miss that one full ATX Compaq, plus all the peripherals for the Presario. The HDD in that big Compaq sounded so epic; the wind-up was both slow and loud, but once it was up to speed, it was quieter than most HDDs I had heard from the era. Seemed reliable as well, and Win95 performed like a champ on it.

My dad also cleared out all the CRTs I had stored over the years as well, leaving me to this day without a CRT of any sort, sans a television. Thankfully I kept around the 4:3 LCDs I collected in the late 2000s, but as difficult / expensive as it is to get hold of old PC hardware these days, I dread when and if I ever try to get into CRTs. 😵

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 54 of 101, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Years ago I had this stuff that I gave away.

CPU collection - probably about 20-25 old CPUs. The oldest I think was an Evergreen 386-486 upgrade.

A few socket 5 and 7 motherboards

3 or 4 Sound Blaster AWE32 cards. I still kick myself every once in a while for getting rid of those.

A box of old video cards including a Voodoo 3 3500 that I had since it was new.

A Pentium II system in the type of case I really like for retro systems... Micron Millennium Mxe style. The older Dell towers were the same style.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 55 of 101, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few of the systems I had when I was a clumsy little kid, including: three NEC Versa FX/FXi laptops (one of them had a dead motherboard, and the other two had dead hard disks), a Compaq EVO D510 e-PC USFF desktop, and an iBook G3 Clamshell laptop. I'm lucky to have found another NEC laptop and a Compaq EVO D510 on eBay a few years ago so that's taken care of, I once bought another iBook later on, but that broke too due to the casing getting cracked during hard drive replacement, those iBooks are so hard to service. 😵

The motherboard I originally used for my Slotket build: an ASUS P2B-VT. On paper, the P2B-VT was a more advanced board than the P2B-VE due to having a VIA Apollo 133A chipset and integrated nVidia RIVA TNT graphics compared to the P2B-VE's bog-standard Intel 440BX and ATI Rage Pro Turbo, but that P2B-VT board was giving me so many problems in the past (including the loss of the detection of optical drives upon soft reboot, the integrated video being iffy, and Windows 95 not having APM/ACPI support for it) so I thought it'd be a good idea to ditch it in favor of a less advanced yet, more stable P2B-VE board. It's probably for the best of it because the disk drives I used on that build were naturally designed for ATA-33 speeds and I have a Voodoo2 to make up for the Rage Pro's worse 3D acceleration, at least I don't have to put up with having to hard reset to be able to use my optical drives anymore, but the more advanced specs are what make me regret getting rid of the P2B-VT. 😐

I also gave an ATI Radeon x1300 PCI-e video card to a fellow YouTuber a long time ago, back when I thought Intel graphics were good enough for my main system at the time.

Reply 57 of 101, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Some things you lose and some things you just give away

Deep.

I’ve given / thrown away heaps of old hardware over the last few years and every so often I have pangs of regret, but like someone said above you can’t keep it all. My most recent pangs are a socket 370 motherboard that I gave away 12 months ago and a HP Vectra that I’d found on a nature strip during the early days of my retro collecting.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 59 of 101, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Of all the things I've lost.. I miss my mind the most

🤣

Nice one, Cereal Killer.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder