VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, swung by the dump today and picked up a 1994 fisher studio standard stereo system. Its a pretty clean system. (i also got an original xbox, that works too). So I plugged in some newer sony speakers and fired up the stereo. It works mostly, I plugged my phone into the video input so I can listen to mp3's. However the FM tuner does not even display anything, there is a radio static noise, and the 5 disc cd player says no disc when there is a disc in it and its on the right number disc. If anyone knows more about this please explain, it might just be me doing something wrong.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 50, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

Hey, swung by the dump today and picked up a 1994 fisher studio standard stereo system. Its a pretty clean system. (i also got an original xbox, that works too). So I plugged in some newer sony speakers and fired up the stereo. It works mostly, I plugged my phone into the video input so I can listen to mp3's. However the FM tuner does not even display anything, there is a radio static noise,

Okay, very stupid question, but have you plugged FM antennae to the unit?

ahendricks18 wrote:

and the 5 disc cd player says no disc when there is a disc in it and its on the right number disc. If anyone knows more about this please explain, it might just be me doing something wrong.

Either the laser has worn out with time, or you inserted a bad disc. How many discs have you tried?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 50, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man you got me excited for a second. I thought you had gotten a 70's tuner. Those old tuners from the era of Hi-fi kick some serious ass. In fact that is what I have my Packard Bell hooked to.

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84emif.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 3 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I have not plugged in an Fm antenna yet.

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only inserted one, disc, Ill try another

Reply 5 of 50, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

and the 5 disc cd player says no disc when there is a disc in it and its on the right number disc. If anyone knows more about this please explain, it might just be me doing something wrong.

Either the laser has worn out with time, or you inserted a bad disc. How many discs have you tried?

Yes, either that or maybe the drive needs to be cleaned and needs fresh lubrication.

Reply 6 of 50, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

No, I have not plugged in an Fm antenna yet.

No wonder you only got static.

Procyon wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

Yes, either that or maybe the drive needs to be cleaned and needs fresh lubrication.

Indeed.

King_Corduroy wrote:
Man you got me excited for a second. I thought you had gotten a 70's tuner. Those old tuners from the era of Hi-fi kick some ser […]
Show full quote

Man you got me excited for a second. I thought you had gotten a 70's tuner. Those old tuners from the era of Hi-fi kick some serious ass. In fact that is what I have my Packard Bell hooked to.

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84emif.jpg

Ah, the golden era of audiophile! 😀 My Sansui is an integrated instead of receiver, but it's also from that era. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 50, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old stereo receivers (before they all went surround sound) are good for retro gaming systems with decent speakers.

I still keep an old Technics system from the early 1990's in the basement for music.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this is the Fisher unit I'm thinking of (it's a big cube that looks like separate components from the front), it's not worth the time/money to repair IMO. I'd probably just return it to the dump and get something better (and not an all-integrated unit - generally they're not of the best quality and a failure in one part tends to cause trouble elsewhere). I've seen a few of these in the past, and aside from not being anything special, problems with the CD changer and overall reliability aren't uncommon.

Reply 10 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Newer integrated crap can sound OK sound quality wise even if the build quality often is pretty horrible.

I use an integrated unit (Sharp xl-HP434) I picked up for 10 Euro at a thrift shop with my main PC at the moment. It sounds just as good as the fancy amplifiers I have used before, I use real speakers though. The SUBs are active (2x180W RMS) and the little integrated system has no issues with powering the rest.

Some data on the power amplifier in the system, I could only find DIN standard numbers.
I think the amp can deliver around 2 * 30W RMS with 0.1% THD at 8 ohm or something like that.

Musikleistung: 182 W (91 W + 91 W)
(DIN 45 324)
Sinusleistung: 100 W (50 W + 50 W)
(DIN 45 324)
Sinusleistung: 76 W (38 W + 38 W)
(DIN 45 500)

Pictures found on the net. (My unit dosnt have the ugly stickers)

169835069_3_644x461_sharp-xl-hp-434-h-muzykalnye-tsentry.jpg

19787.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 12 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try it upside down but now the thing is having issues. The light on the volume knob flashes and the thing pops on and off. Fuse looks fine. Wtf??

Reply 13 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I first tried a regular factory cd, Marty Robbins something or other.

Reply 14 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The clicking is likely from the systems protection circuit.

Either one of your speaker cables (or something else) is shorting or you are trying to power low impedance speakers with an amplifier that cant handle them or the system is damaged in one way or another.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 15 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'll look at the cables, but this thing is a real ass-pain.

Reply 16 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

Yeah, I'll look at the cables, but this thing is a real ass-pain.

Remember: it was in the trash for a reason... 😵

Like I said, I'd probably just return it to whatever hole you found it in, and get something that's worth the time and energy (e.g. that works and is high quality).

Reply 17 of 50, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would stay away from any modern stereo systems, they are absolute crap. I had an RCA surround sound system attached to my main computer years ago and it completely crapped out a while back. When I looked online apparently everyone else had experienced the same problem, they were basically designed to fail. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 18 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I would stay away from any modern stereo systems, they are absolute crap. I had an RCA surround sound system attached to my main computer years ago and it completely crapped out a while back. When I looked online apparently everyone else had experienced the same problem, they were basically designed to fail. 😒

Yup. 😵

Now of course there is modern equipment that's good, but it's usually pretty expensive, especially compared to older, used equipment. 😀

Reply 19 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yup. 😵

Now of course there is modern equipment that's good, but it's usually pretty expensive, especially compared to older, used equipment. 😀

I bought a fancy 2x 200w RMS @4 ohm integrated amplifier about 5 years ago.
It used class D but with very very very low distortion (0.003% THD @ 1W). The unit did cost about $600.

It survived about half a year powering the same speakers the micro system now powers.
To be fair the day it failed was a very very hot summer day and I had the monitor on top of the unit so it diddnt get much ventilation.