VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have my own image on hand, but I use a flagship Kenwood KA-9100 from 1977:

1789_image_5.jpg

Very beautiful design and high quality construction. I've been planing to rebuild it for a number of years. Unfortunately I'm not using it at the moment since it's a 60Hz unit and I now live in a 50Hz country (and I havent' gotten around to buying a converter).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 41 of 50, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
I managed to dig out another toy :) […]
Show full quote

I managed to dig out another toy 😀

The golden age for sure was the 70s but some nice stuff was made in the 80s and 90s aswell.
This is my favourite power amp, the ADCOM GFA-6000. Its a clean sounding unit with almost unlimited power delivery.

Its a 5 channel unit rated 3*100w + 2*60w RMS @8 ohm but the rating dosnt tell the whole story. The unit can take 1440W from the mains and the transformer is almost as large as a turntable. I have used it as a 2 channel system but perhaps I will use it as a multichannel system when I get my hands on a nice multi channel pre amp that supports something more fancy than dolby surround.

Awesome Skyscraper...very awesome. I love ADCOM gear...used to drool over it in old stereo magazines. I think 5 channels and dolby surround is more than enough for retrogaming, especially when you have such a great ADCOM combo like what you have there.

Reply 42 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

256wdhc.jpg found this at the transfer station today. It fully works and sounds good. Nice casio boombox. popped in a cd and let it play the whole way through.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 43 of 50, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dammit, its upside down

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 44 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Necro.jpg
Filename
Necro.jpg
File size
59.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have bought some new "old stereo" gear over the summer so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Out of the stuff I have bought this little receiver is the piece I like best. Perhaps someone recognises the make and model of the receiver?

New receiver.jpg
Filename
New receiver.jpg
File size
180.57 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 46 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

Is it Pioneer SX-1050?

Close, its a Pioneer SX-1250! 😀

A somewhat grainy image showing a Pioneer SX-1250.

Pioneer SX-1250.jpg
Filename
Pioneer SX-1250.jpg
File size
194.11 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 47 of 50, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I approve of this thread!

I was going to comment that some of that old Fisher stuff is coming back because even though their power-handling isn't the highest (because the voice-coils in the woofers are not very large), they did have 3-way arrangements with very large woofers. But they were held back by very inexpensive crossovers and "thermal overload protection" blah blah, crappy load resistors to keep you from blowing them up.

But now, people are building new crossovers for them, adding bracing to the sides and backs of the cabinets, and enjoying a whole new set of speakers for next to nothing.

I'll have to report back because I'm off to work, but I just acquired some new "old" stereo equipment, including some old GAS power-amplifiers.

Matthew

Reply 48 of 50, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really wish I had the time and money to get a good analog system, receiver, speakers, the lot of it. Right now in my dorm room I have to settle for crappy laptop speakers since my mom would only let me get a tabletop bluetooth speaker ( 😵 ) and that's just not worth my time and money at this point.

Edit: My dad made some Klipsch KG-4 clones when he was in high school with whatever parts he could find, and they are seriously the best speakers I have heard to date. We always joke about how he must have gotten so lucky that the woofers actually had the right specs for the case size 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 49 of 50, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Close, its a Pioneer SX-1250! :) […]
Show full quote
sf78 wrote:

Is it Pioneer SX-1050?

Close, its a Pioneer SX-1250! 😀

A somewhat grainy image showing a Pioneer SX-1250.

Pioneer SX-1250.jpg

Hey, I've got one of those! It powers my basement "home theater" system, which is used primarily for my old consoles, turntable, and Laserdisc player. The SX-1250 has some insane output. It drives a pair of Infinity Kappa 6 speakers and a passive Dahlquist subwoofer. When I fire up Jurassic Park on laserdisc, that old subwoofer shakes everything in the room, and it's completely powered by the SX-1250!

I'm also quite fond of my brand new, made-in-Japan Denon AVR-X6200W receiver. I use it upstairs to power a 7.2 channel system for Blu-ray, new PC/console games, and my non-vinyl music collection. With a pair of SVS PC12-Plus subwoofers handling everything below 60Hz, the modern system does dig much deeper and play much louder than the SX-1250/Kappa/Dahlquist combination. Heck, the modern system can even make the lights dim during the Super 8 train explosion scene. 😲

Now, when it comes to driving the old Kappa 6's and passive Dahlquist, the SX-1250 does outperform the Denon. Don't get me wrong, the Denon can drive the old speakers and subwoofer to surprisingly high levels. But the massive driver in the Dahlquist takes some power to run and the SX-1250 definitely does a better job of handling it.

But as awesome as the SX-1250 system is, I do enjoy the modern setup quite a bit more. Today's subwoofers definitely pack more punch than yesterday's, and the midrange/high frequency response of the new system is just as good, if not slightly better. Plus, Deadpool is so much more fun in surround sound!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 50 of 50, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Hey, I've got one of those! It powers my basement "home theater" system, which is used primarily for my old consoles, turntable, […]
Show full quote

Hey, I've got one of those! It powers my basement "home theater" system, which is used primarily for my old consoles, turntable, and Laserdisc player. The SX-1250 has some insane output. It drives a pair of Infinity Kappa 6 speakers and a passive Dahlquist subwoofer. When I fire up Jurassic Park on laserdisc, that old subwoofer shakes everything in the room, and it's completely powered by the SX-1250!

I'm also quite fond of my brand new, made-in-Japan Denon AVR-X6200W receiver. I use it upstairs to power a 7.2 channel system for Blu-ray, new PC/console games, and my non-vinyl music collection. With a pair of SVS PC12-Plus subwoofers handling everything below 60Hz, the modern system does dig much deeper and play much louder than the SX-1250/Kappa/Dahlquist combination. Heck, the modern system can even make the lights dim during the Super 8 train explosion scene. 😲

Now, when it comes to driving the old Kappa 6's and passive Dahlquist, the SX-1250 does outperform the Denon. Don't get me wrong, the Denon can drive the old speakers and subwoofer to surprisingly high levels. But the massive driver in the Dahlquist takes some power to run and the SX-1250 definitely does a better job of handling it.

But as awesome as the SX-1250 system is, I do enjoy the modern setup quite a bit more. Today's subwoofers definitely pack more punch than yesterday's, and the midrange/high frequency response of the new system is just as good, if not slightly better. Plus, Deadpool is so much more fun in surround sound!

Nice!

I see my Pioneer SX-1250 a bit like an investment in times of negative interest rates. It's a very useful investment though, it powers my Heco Mythos 700 speakers in the livingroom at the moment. It will be a dedicated 2-channel system för music but I need to get some better speakers as the Heco Mythos 700 is better suited as fronts in a home cimema setup.

I do have other speakers but it's mostly retro stuff from the 70s and when it comes to speaker design the 70s wasnt as golden as it was for stereo amplifier design. Of course there were good speakers in the 70s but they were expensive and the lower midfield consisted mostly of Japanese-brand "kabuki" speakers, todays lower midfield ($750 - $2000) is vastly superior. Your old Infinity Kappa 6 speakers looks nice though but I'm after full range floor standing speakers that can manage without a subwoofer, the Hecos ticks most boxes but simply arent good enough.

The SX-1250 is specced at 2x160W RMS @ 8 ohm with <0.1% THD which in reality is ~0.03% THD @160W, if in prime shape the amp tops out at ~200W continuous @ 8 ohm. With a 4 ohm load the official spec states 200W RMS with <0.1% THD and it should top out at ~250W continuous. It's safe to say that the the Pioneer SX-1250 has more power than most speakers and people need.