VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've read that Mprime is essentially the Linux equivalent of Prime95, but I've noticed that the two programs act somewhat differently. It could just be my machine, but I've noticed that Mprime seems to go through its stress tests faster than Prime95 does, so if I let it sit and run for an hour, it'll go through a larger battery of tests. Now, I've been using both of these programs, along with Memtest86, to test the stability of my desktop, and make sure it isn't throwing any weird errors from the overclocking I've done. What I am wondering, is if it's even worth running both programs, or if I could stick with just one. Prime95 is really simple to operate, whereas with Mprime I had to do some shell scripting so that I wouldn't have to manually punch it into the terminal every time, but Mprime has an advantage in that I can have "cat /proc/kmsg" running in another window, to see if the kernel itself is throwing any errors.

What do you think? Which program is better for stress testing an overclocked system, especially if you're doing heavy FSB/RAM overclocking?