VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This "news" is almost a month old, but Youtube supports 60fps (and 50fps) for HD videos. I believe it it makes a great improvement for just about any kind of video that shows gameplay footage. I wonder if anybody is actively planning to take advantage of this, for example by including native 60fps gameplay footage in their videos? Anyone planning to revist their videos to put out something much, much closer to actual console and computer output?

For DOS games, one challenge is that VGA typically uses a refresh rate of 70Hz, which for DOSBox translates into 70fps videos. Ideally, a VGA capture device should as well. Youtube is not going to support 70fps anytime soon. I made a test video to demonstrate the best that Youtube could offer for VGA and SVGA DOS games :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-68JOw6URTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the video, I used VirtuaDub. It was fairly challenging because the proper gameplay uses a different screen resolution and frame rate than the menu screens. I do not know how well the menu stuff is in sync. VirtuaDub is probably pretty primitive and klunky compared to professional tools, but I do not know of anything else that is as friendly to low-resolution and color depth sources as it and the ZMBV codec. In my opinion, I would rather upload something crisp and fluid to Youtube than to have something butcher the gameplay footage and then be subjected to Youtube's own compression. Just because a game is in low resolution doesn't mean that it has to look like crap in a video.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 88, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm probably gonna stick with 30 FPS for now, at least until Blip updates their system to also support 60 FPS encoding. I'll do a test at some point and if it fails I'll poke them with a feature request. :B

Clint's already taking advantage of 60 FPS with LGR. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 88, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, unfortunately I encoded my videos at 30. So I need to regenerate many of them to take advantage of 60FPS (also presuming DOSBox can produce framerates that high for things).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 3 of 88, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolano wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately I encoded my videos at 30. So I need to regenerate many of them to take advantage of 60FPS (also presuming DOSBox can produce framerates that high for things).

It does.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 88, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. My uploads have been 1080p60 for a little while now. Some of them might have been before the switch was made. Videos with game footage take up so much hard drive space I have to clean up after every one of them, so I can't go back and rerender any older vids at higher resolution or framerate (my first few were in 360p, which is a real tragedy).

Of course at the rate I get things done (it's like, semi-monthly now) I may only have a few out.

Reply 6 of 88, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm probably gonna stick with 30 FPS for now, at least until Blip updates their system to also support 60 FPS encoding. I'll do a test at some point and if it fails I'll poke them with a feature request. :B

Clint's already taking advantage of 60 FPS with LGR. 😀

When you mix live action and in-game footage, it can get really annoying since the video generally assumes one frame rate and there is much less incentive to record live-action at 60fps than video games. Of course, your videos are mostly gameplay and not talking head.

I do not know if Youtube's new feature will now become another feature box for other streaming video sites to tick. I really hope so, even if the footage will be required to be in HD. I believe you use DOSBox to record your footage, which naturally uses a high frame rate of 50-70fps. Does Blip convert your frame rate for you? If so, you could put an HD 60fps version on Youtube and an SD 30fps version on Blip. Wishful thinking I know 😀

AidanExamineer wrote:

Yes. My uploads have been 1080p60 for a little while now. Some of them might have been before the switch was made. Videos with game footage take up so much hard drive space I have to clean up after every one of them, so I can't go back and rerender any older vids at higher resolution or framerate (my first few were in 360p, which is a real tragedy).

If they were uploaded before October 29, 2014, then they would be converted to 30fps. Youtube supports really low resolutions. Its 144p resolution would be perfect for my Game Boy.

I do have a small rant though. Why should high frames be limited to 720p or 1080p? Standard definition videos can benefit from a high frame rate. Because they don't need to be upscaled at the source, standard definition videos (576p or less) would take less bandwidth and storage space.

philscomputerlab wrote:

I will upload all new videos in 60 fps format and also render in 4k when possible.

Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't support 2160p@60fps, so we will see either higher resolution or higher frame rate.

Reply 7 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't support 2160p@60fps, so we will see either higher resolution or higher frame rate.

That's annoying...

EDIT:

I uploaded a 4k 60fps video and it offers 720p60 and 1080p60 but not 2160p.30. I was hoping you could get to choose between the two but this isn't the case 🙁

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 88, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

When you mix live action and in-game footage, it can get really annoying since the video generally assumes one frame rate and there is much less incentive to record live-action at 60fps than video games. Of course, your videos are mostly gameplay and not talking head.

Actually, many camcorders record at 60i to mimic the standard television format. Mine does. :B

Thus you can just add in 60i -> 60p deinterlacing. ;)

Great Hierophant wrote:

I do not know if Youtube's new feature will now become another feature box for other streaming video sites to tick. I really hope so, even if the footage will be required to be in HD. I believe you use DOSBox to record your footage, which naturally uses a high frame rate of 50-70fps. Does Blip convert your frame rate for you? If so, you could put an HD 60fps version on Youtube and an SD 30fps version on Blip. Wishful thinking I know :)

Well, with services like Twitch and Hitbox, they recommend 30 fps, but because they're just transmitting your stream as it is you can just transmit a 60 fps stream and it'll work. :B

The trick is the higher the framerate, the less bits are available per frame, which leads to more artifacts at lower bitrates. It becomes a tradeoff between quality versus framerate. The other trick too is that not every device can render 60 fps footage, even at lower bit rates, because the decoding process doesn't change at al; 60 fps burns twice as much CPU/GPU power as 30 fps, because it has to decode twice as many frames. This is why 480p on YouTube is staying at 30 fps, because the theory is that the only reason you'd want 60 fps is because your computer can render it, thus it must be powerful enough to handle HD at the least. :P

As for Blip, there was a time when it would downconvert 60 fps to 30 fps and I don't presently know if it still will. It MIGHT be possible to get around this by encoding an FLV file manually at 60 fps and uploading it, thus bypassing Blip's conversion system and taking advantage of their legacy video support before it switched to the MP4/M4V formats, but there's so many unknowns with doing this that I don't want to risk doing it, especially since 60 fps footage was never supported or recommended in the past when Blip accounts could be opened by anyone.

EDIT: Speaking of Blip and new accounts, I noticed that Blip still isn't accepting new registrations, but Maker Studios (which is what Blip is a part of) now accepts registrations through DailyMotion and not just YouTube... not that DailyMotion is an escape from digital fingerprinting systems similar to YouTube's Content-ID, but I like that Maker's not just restricted to YouTube for content submissions anymore. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 88, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have mentioned this already in the vga capture thread. I have uploaded all my videos to a new channel such that they get reencoded and YT offers 60 fps for them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm7iR0Kcp4VfmzWDEfHIqMg

All new captures will go to my usual channel.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AidanExamineer wrote:

Game footage looks great in 60fps. But the rendering times drive me crazy. 😁

Haven't noticed much of a difference. Rendering in 4K does take a lot more time however 😀

Reply 13 of 88, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AidanExamineer wrote:

Comparing my render times in WMV with 30 vs 60 frames, and other settings the same, it takes about 50 percent longer.

I did a quick run and yes, it does take longer 😊

4k however takes a LOT longer.

Reply 16 of 88, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

I cannot for the life of me get 1080p60 videos to play without dropping frames. I've got 3Ghz quad core and a Radeon 7770. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Hardware acceleration might be disabled in your browser or Flash settings. You're GOING to need that to handle 1080p @ 60 FPS. Using different browsers might help too. It's also possible your graphics hardware configuration isn't set for optimal performance. It's also possible your hard drive sucks and can't keep up with the amount of I/O necessary to both receive all of that data and transmit it to the GPU simultaneously, in which case, if you have enough RAM, you should disable the browser disk cache. (Only really a good option if you're using a 64-bit browser.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 17 of 88, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

I cannot for the life of me get 1080p60 videos to play without dropping frames. I've got 3Ghz quad core and a Radeon 7770. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

YouTube prefers WebM/VP9 now, that means no hardware acceleration. AMD and nVidia still only care for H.264 and H.265.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 18 of 88, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

YouTube prefers WebM/VP9 now, that means no hardware acceleration. AMD and nVidia still only care for H.264 and H.265.

I can safely say that turning hardware acceleration off in any of my browsers decreases my framerate on YouTube significantly, even at 480p, and I'm on a more powerful system than mockingbird is. :P

Hardware acceleration isn't just for decoding. You also have to draw the frames to the screen and filter them and CPUs, plain and simply, are terrible at doing that in comparison to GPUs. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 19 of 88, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware video encoding\decoding is incredibly buggy on some cards and some drivers... Hell even trying to use the GPU to encode video frames to send to twitch.tv can result in a blurry or complete inoperable mess.

Someone told me the 60 FPS thing on Youtube is for Google Chrome only, is there any truth to this statement?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων