First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few gaming cases on my long-term wish list. For instance:

Antec P160W
Cooler Master Wave Master
NZXT Apollo

These would all end up housing builds that I have in various stages of completion.

Problem is, I can't seem to find any of them. Okay, I've seen a few NZXT Apollo cases for sale, but they've always been used and in pretty rough shape. Same goes for the Antec P160. Have yet to see a Wave Master for sale.

I have search alerts set up on eBay and Craigslist for these items, but they don't seem to be getting me anywhere. Any pointers on where else (or how else) I should be looking?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're not the most common things to find on the used market. Where I've seen them most commonly is on forums FS/FT ("for sale/for trade") sections (and on boards that allow it, you may try "want" or "WTB" ("want to buy") ads), and as part of complete/partial builds where you're getting additional hardware in the case, or more likely buying someone's old custom computer. The problem is, I'm not sure you can entirely automate searches for either of those in any sort of consistent and wide-spread manner, so it will require a degree of intervention/time on your part.

Something else to keep in mind on the Wave Master specifically - Thermaltake makes a similar-ish looking case, the Soprano, newer versions of which have better cooling options (120mm fan positions, filters, etc).

Reply 2 of 13, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Something else to keep in mind on the Wave Master specifically - Thermaltake makes a similar-ish looking case, the Soprano, newer versions of which have better cooling options (120mm fan positions, filters, etc).

Thanks for the tip. Too bad it appears to be discontinued as well 🙁

PCGames9505

Reply 4 of 13, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some people might say "craigslist" or name a few local stores, but to be honest 90% of their stuff they get off eBay. That's your best bet, you just have to be patient.

Reply 6 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zenn wrote:

If you're considering the Wave Master/Soprano, do also look at the Thermaltake Tsunami. It looks relatively similar to the Soprano.

Yes, had forgotten about those!

They're nice cases if I'm remembering right... 😊

Apparently not very expensive these days either:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261674889874

EDIT,

Also highly relevant:

An Antec P160:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321607731072

And there are also some Apollo look-alikes, like the Logisys 51W:
http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SK … S51WSL&DID=C001

Reply 8 of 13, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually my old large gaming cases came from Craigslist. They are so large and heavy that shipping costs more then the case (used ones anyway). If you just wanted generic mid towers then get one on Ebay from Newegg (they list a ton of them).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 13, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I am being somewhat picky here. A good case is going to be a $50+ investment no matter which way I go, so I'd prefer to get the real case (not a clone), and it had better be in good shape as well. (The currently listed P160 looks pretty used.)

I lucked out with the Antec Performance II SX630II I bought on eBay a while back. It was just the right case for the build, it was practically like new, and it came with everything I needed. Tracking down parts for the rarer cases could be a nightmare (5.25" drive blanks, mounting brackets, etc.).

PCGames9505

Reply 10 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

I guess I am being somewhat picky here. A good case is going to be a $50+ investment no matter which way I go, so I'd prefer to get the real case (not a clone), and it had better be in good shape as well. (The currently listed P160 looks pretty used.)

I lucked out with the Antec Performance II SX630II I bought on eBay a while back. It was just the right case for the build, it was practically like new, and it came with everything I needed. Tracking down parts for the rarer cases could be a nightmare (5.25" drive blanks, mounting brackets, etc.).

Pricing is relative - while some of my favorite cases are ~$400 aluminum affairs, others are $20 stamped steel specials. I get that this is certainly an aesthetic discussion rather than a pragmatic one, but I'd encourage you to look around at modern options, including those that aren't mega-bucks, as you may find something equally good.

I'd agree that that P160 has seen better days, but it doesn't look utterly ruined - some work could probably bring it back. All up to how much you want to invest. I'm not so sure you'll find a 10+ year old "gaming" case that's been used, lugged to lanparties, etc in pristine shape for $50 or less though.

Reply 11 of 13, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, guys, it's a Christmas miracle...

Just received my new in box Antec P160W! 😁

I got it for the minimum bid on an eBay auction. Paid about half what the case would have originally cost, so all in all, it was quite an incredible stroke of luck. Here it is with the original box and all the protective plastic films still attached:

I7KRzvMl.jpg

The funny thing is that around the same time, two other very good / like new P160s showed up on the local Craigslist. It never rains but it pours, right?

I'm now much more optimistic about my chances of tracking down the other two cases on my list.

Last edited by maximus on 2016-11-26, 20:04. Edited 1 time in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 13 of 13, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to replace the included 120mm exhaust fan with one of these guys:

Antec 120mm Blue LED 3-Speed Case Cooling Fan

Combined with the blue LEDs on the front of the case, that will be about the right level of flash for my taste.

This case will be housing the A8N32-SLI Deluxe and AMD FX-57 that I got for a stupidly low price in a for parts / not working lot. Both seem to work fine; I think I might have to call this the Lucky Build 🤣

My X850 XT PE will be taking up a permanent residence in this build as well.

PCGames9505