VOGONS

Common searches

early 90's rpg suggestions?

Topic actions

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys! Ill be done building my 386sx-33 in a few days when my parts arrive in the mail. I know of a couple games like Ultima Underworld and TES Arena that are good but Id like some suggestions on similar games. Abandonware sites have tons but I don't know what's good and what's not. Also I'm interested in some racing games and maybe puzzle games. Thanks

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 28, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dragon lore looks amazing, but it needs a 486dx.

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 28, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Try Betrayal at Krondor. Should work with your 386SX-33.

Another RPG you can try is Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

For racing games, the original Test Drive is a good start.

And even though they're strategy games, also give Master of Orion and Warcraft: Orcs & Humans a try.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 to Betrayal at Krondor. That was my favorite way back when. Of course I was playing it on a 486DX2-80 so my system was kind of overblown for that game. I've never tried playing it on a 386 so can't comment on the performance at that speed.

There was a hardcover version of Krondor The Betrayal that came with the game on CD. If you can find that, you can not only play the game but read the book it was based on. The Riftwar Saga is Raymond E. Feist's best work.

Last edited by sliderider on 2014-12-25, 06:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 28, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm gonna play all those! They all look epic!

Reply 9 of 28, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Riftwar Saga was an amazing read. I read that back in December 2000 and I stil remember most of it. Never played Betrayal at Krondor, it is on my list.

Reply 10 of 28, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SSI RPGS, such as the FRUA Engine games, and if you are into more AD&D, then go for Dungeon Master and Eye Of The Beholder series. And perhaps I am seriously going old-school , but give The Bards Tale I to III a go, and if that is something you fancy. Then go for Dragon Wars after you have played BT, cause Dragon Wars is compatible with the BT series (characters can be imported to Dragon Wars).

Reply 11 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beholders are an obvious choice as well as Lands of Lore. Then you have Ultimas to play with, 1~7 will be OK for a 386sx.
You could also try the Ishar trilogy and the first Realms of Arkania games.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

The SSI RPGS, such as the FRUA Engine games, and if you are into more AD&D, then go for Dungeon Master and Eye Of The Beholder series. And perhaps I am seriously going old-school , but give The Bards Tale I to III a go, and if that is something you fancy. Then go for Dragon Wars after you have played BT, cause Dragon Wars is compatible with the BT series (characters can be imported to Dragon Wars).

If we're going really old school, then Wasteland. It's like Fallout before there was Fallout. Sadly, it's also one of those games that everyone wants so the prices are high. There are some compilation bundles out there that have it, so that might be the best way to get it.

Reply 14 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does Krondor run well on a 386? I was was pretty sure it needed a 486 to run decently.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 28, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got all my hardware the other day, however I am awaiting a new PSU to arrive soon because the old one was dusty and smelled nasty and the AT connectors, you had to wiggle them to turn on or else the psu would make a whine noise. I tested it on another mobo but no dice. I've concluded that it was the PSU.

Reply 16 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does DreamWeb count as RPG or is that Adventure?

Regardless it's AMAZING you should definitely play it.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 18 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... What? There is one spot in it where you come into a room where a guy is doing it with a woman and he covers up almost immediately and she crawls under the bed. Besides the whole perspective is top down... Makes me wonder whether you played it at all.

Besides how can you say that as a guy with an avatar with huge brests. 🤣

Also it's the game that influenced the developers of Hotline Miami, and that game is awesome too but not quite for the same reasons.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 19 of 28, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does DreamWeb count as RPG or is that Adventure?

RPG and Adventure often mesh.

... What? There is one spot in it where you come into a room where a guy is doing it with a woman and he covers up almost immediately and she crawls under the bed. Besides the whole perspective is top down... Makes me wonder whether you played it at all.

😜 That's enough for me to not want to play it. Too creepy