Rank
l33t++

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Reply 2 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This whole "planned obsolescence" crap is borderline trash for paid software. I can understand it for FOSS stuff like Linux, but Windows? Don't they get enough revenue to continue support for even atleast XP?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yet another Windows-related date being completely blown out of proportion by idiots.

Windows 7 is entering extended support.

All that means is that it won't receive any new features, and tech support for retail store-bought copies is no longer free. That's it. It's still getting critical bug fixes, it's still getting security updates, and you'll probably still be able to buy it for a while.

Which is to say, dear Internet, please un-bunch your collective panties.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2015-01-14, 12:38. Edited 2 times in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 37, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come on, there will be five more years of security patches. As much as I'm sorry that XP is not supported any more working for a software company myself I understand that supporting several versions of your product at the same time is a big PITA. The actual problem is that compatibility is not good enough.

Reply 5 of 37, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mainstream support has ended for Windows 7, but Extended support continues for another 5 years. This means there'll still be security updates and product information updates related to Windows 7. There's simply no more free tech support for basic issues (which not a lot of people take advantage of anyways), no more new features, and no more changes to the overall design.

Also, their policy takes into account if it takes longer than expected to release new product updates. IE: If Windows 8 was only JUST being released, it wouldn't be until 2017 that mainstream Windows 7 support would expire, and 2022 for extended support.

I know it seems somewhat silly to arbitrarily set dates on how software support is addressed, but consider that many companies which produce software just up-and-up stop supporting older versions out of the blue without warning, which can be a rather annoying thing to go through, especially if you just recently bought an older copy of something. At least you get a minimum of two years warning with Microsoft, plus whatever lead-time you have on news of newer versions.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 37, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, have you read the What is the difference between mainstream support and extended support? section at the same page? They say the second lasts longer. OK, Microsoft, is that ALL the difference?

Reply 7 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They better come up with some really compelling reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 because they are still stinging from the mass rejections of Vista and Windows 8. Windows 7 was the only product of the last several years that was actually accepted by the masses. If Windows 10 turns out to be "teh suxx0rz", I don't know how much longer Microsoft can stop people from converting en masse to some flavor of Linux. Killing off support for Windows 7 without having a product on the market that people are willing to upgrade to may be the final nail in the coffin.

Reply 8 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But not adding more features is bad enough. The truth is Windows 8 sucks the big one.
Win 10 looks better so far but still nothing compared to 7.

If Microsoft keeps it up for long, they are going to drive people to Linux.
Once software devs start making more software for Linux, it is the beginning of the slide for MS

Reply 9 of 37, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Caa mon..
Are we really complaining?

Died? It's like you couldn't use it anymore.
But remember that windows 98 and XP installation CDs haven't been magically destroyed yet

smeezekitty wrote:

Once software devs start making more software for Linux, it is the beginning of the slide for MS

Or once wine is usable out of the box (which imo, isn't too far from happennng in a bunch of years)

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 10 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mirh wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Or once wine is usable out of the box (which imo, isn't too far from happennng in a bunch of years)

Last time I tried it, it still had ways to go. There is still a lot of unimplemented functionality.
Also, it was slow

Reply 11 of 37, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just upgraded from windows 7 to 8.1 a few mins ago. But its amazing to me how fast something can become obsolete.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 14 of 37, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nobody complained when XP's mainstream (not extended) support expired, nor did they when support expired for 95, 98, 2000, and so on.

But now suddenly everyone starts whining how the world is going to end now that Microsoft won't bring new features to a 6 year old OS and how everyone has to pay to get phone support now. The writing has been on the wall since the release date.

And somehow everyone is quiet about Google, which leaves millions of users in the cold after only 3 years without any form of prior announcement - while they are probably able to fix this flaw by pushing an update using Google Play Services, bypassing OEM's and carriers - but they don't feel like doing that.

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE

Reply 15 of 37, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3 years? At one point Android phones stopped receiving updates well before a 2 year subsidized phone contract expired. Patched ROMs can pick up the slack in some cases, but some phones have locked boot loaders (I'm looking at you Motorola Mobility).

Reply 16 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kaasschaaf wrote:

Nobody complained when XP's mainstream (not extended) support expired, nor did they when support expired for 95, 98, 2000, and so on.

But now suddenly everyone starts whining how the world is going to end now that Microsoft won't bring new features to a 6 year old OS and how everyone has to pay to get phone support now. The writing has been on the wall since the release date.

And somehow everyone is quiet about Google, which leaves millions of users in the cold after only 3 years without any form of prior announcement - while they are probably able to fix this flaw by pushing an update using Google Play Services, bypassing OEM's and carriers - but they don't feel like doing that.

When XPs support expired, there was an OS out that didn't epicly suck (Windows 7)

Now the last MS OS that doesn't suck is about to have mainstream support expire. It isn't about how old it is. Its about how many
users it has and how terrible its replacement is.

And people are hardly being quiet about Google and Android. Its all over the tech news sites.

Reply 17 of 37, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kaasschaaf wrote:

Please, don't start to compare ARM and x86 operating systems...
Things are really different there, not last update delivery.

And btw if you read your article it mentions that webview component can be remotely updated only since 5.0. So Google would be on its own for affected jelly been and below versions

smeezekitty wrote:

When XPs support expired, there was an OS out that didn't epicly suck (Windows 7)

By the time 7 was out, the majority of computers was Vista-level. compared to 3 years before...
And by the time 7 was out (and still today) Vista is nothing different than a diverse skin of 7

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 18 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the time 7 was out, the majority of computers was Vista-level. compared to 3 years before...
And by the time 7 was out (and still today) Vista is nothing different than a diverse skin of 7[/quote]

Right. But Vista really isn't that bad.
Heck I am running Vista now. Microsoft messed up by saying 512MB RAM minimum
because it led to lots of unusable machines being pumped out by OEM.

But Windows 8 doesn't have very much adoption

Reply 19 of 37, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought Windows 7 Ultimate retail.
I think it was the last OS I ever buy.

I have loads of Windows XP OEM licenses and perhaps 10 each of Vista and Windows 7 OEM licenses from different broken laptops and other dumpster finds. I will keep using Windows 7 with my online systems but when it isnt practical any more I will make the move to random nix OS.

This has nothing to do with me hating Microsoft or anything like that but Im not very found of the "modern Internet" with APP stores, adds, bloat and massive information gathering. With an open source OS you at least have some control over the crap you are running, well if you take the time to read the docs that is.

In the far future I think I will end up in a cottage in northern Sweden without Internet or a cell phone living a 100% offline life.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.