Common searches

Windows 7 died

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't mind this so much if the recent Windows 10 previews weren't complete crap. When I initially installed 10 everything was fine and dandy, but a few updates in everything started going wrong:

• Desktop images show corruption (really unclear what's so hard about loading a simple image and tiling it).
  • The start menu becomes corrupt, or disappears altogether.
  • Windows explorer and other programs become completely non-responsive.

Hoping the update scheduled for this week resolves some of that, but since these things have persisted through a few weeks of updates I'm worried.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 21 of 37, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 Boy am I glad I was forced into using linux when XP reached the end of the line. There is no way in hell I'm ever going back.

Try Fedora if you get a chance Skyscraper, it's probably the best option for those new to linux up to a moderate user. If you need any proof about how good it is though the creator of Linux is using it, Linus Torvalds himself.

I'm with you though, I lived most of my life offline and I would be just as happy to disconnect again and go back to living offline.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

This has nothing to do with me hating Microsoft or anything like that but Im not very found of the "modern Internet" with APP stores, adds, bloat and massive information gathering. With an open source OS you at least have some control over the crap you are running, well if you take the time to read the docs that is.

I despise "modern design" both online and off. Where things are seemingly changed just to change them
and it appears that the designers only worried about looks and not functionality at all.

Bloat bloat bloat blah!

Reply 23 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For sequrity reasons, you need the latest software when dealing with money and such.
I would never ever use XP for that or an un-updated Linux.

When dealing with retro computing, then it does not matter.
As long as the machine is disconnected from the internet.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24 of 37, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

I've used old PC's (win 95) on the web. It's not that great anyway for modern websites.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 25 of 37, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I've used old PC's (win 95) on the web. It's not that great anyway for modern websites.

Modern viruses wouldn't probably even run 🤣

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 27 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We are talking about a PC for everyday use, not gaming. You do not really want to be running around on the internet unpatched. Win7 will continue to receive security updates for several years to come.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 29 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

We are talking about a PC for everyday use, not gaming. You do not really want to be running around on the internet unpatched. Win7 will continue to receive security updates for several years to come.

The issue is greatly overblown. Unpatched OSes are rarely a problem.
I put just about all my machines on the net with 0 issues. I just wouldn't do anything sensitive on an old machine

Reply 30 of 37, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirh wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Modern viruses wouldn't probably even run 🤣

You will still have to wait years for advertisements on a page to load. Assuming that internet exploder will open msn

Ayy LMAO

Reply 32 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ sure, general browsing seems fine(on 10.62/w.out kernelex), most of the time...

BUT logging in anywhere important has totally been messed with over the last year.... 😢

Started with some favourite webshops about 1 year ago bowing to the surfpad gods(redoing their webpage vs mobile units), and then suddenly GOG totally killed my account(no login possible!) over night this summer for the same reasons.

And as a bonus Christmas gift, my daily bank(!) has gone to the Dark side as well.... (and they have NO physical offices!)

The universe apparantly thinks I really need to get a new OS/browser/computer, pronto.... 😜

(yes, I DO know it is futile to fight 'progress', but still annoying...... 🤣 )

Reply 33 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote:
^ sure, general browsing seems fine(on 10.62/w.out kernelex), most of the time... […]
Show full quote

^ sure, general browsing seems fine(on 10.62/w.out kernelex), most of the time...

BUT logging in anywhere important has totally been messed with over the last year.... 😢

Started with some favourite webshops about 1 year ago bowing to the surfpad gods(redoing their webpage vs mobile units), and then suddenly GOG totally killed my account(no login possible!) over night this summer for the same reasons.

And as a bonus Christmas gift, my daily bank(!) has gone to the Dark side as well.... (and they have NO physical offices!)

The universe apparantly thinks I really need to get a new OS/browser/computer, pronto.... 😜

More like web designers keep changing things with bloat just to change them or "modernize"

Even when I am not using an old browser, I hate "modern" design

Reply 34 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:
^ sure, general browsing seems fine(on 10.62/w.out kernelex), most of the time... […]
Show full quote

So the rest of us should have websites requiring security for things like financial transactions remain compromised by older standards and protocols just because you refuse to upgrade for day to day usage? Someone that wants a dino for gaming or nostalgia is certainly understandable, but for real life tasks? Not every change is for change's sake alone.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 35 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the rest of us should have websites requiring security for things like financial transactions remain compromised by older standards and protocols just because you refuse to upgrade for day to day usage? Someone that wants a dino for gaming or nostalgia is certainly understandable, but for real life tasks? Not every change is for change's sake alone.

I can understand improving security for things like banking and purchasing. But a lot of change IS only for the sake of change.

For example the weather underground website. It used to be good but now it sucks.
Less intuitive and slower

Reply 36 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't get me wrong, I agree with all logical and rational opinions on this topic. Security is important, yes indeed.

- Still doesn't change the way I currently feel though... 😎

And I doubt the changes made to 'my' specific web sites had anything to do with security though. They all explained it with the mobile argument, getting more(LOL) user friendly and 'beautification'. Apparantly mobile units needs(?) some sort of 'overlay' login window to work properly ?? Which then clashes with my ancient browser's abilities. But then I am no expert on the technical side here, so this might as well be extra secure for all I know....

(this just being my very personal experience, which by no means imply that I want to impose security holes on all and sundry!)

Reply 37 of 37, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I agree with all logical and rational opinions on this topic. Security is important, yes indeed. […]
Show full quote

Don't get me wrong, I agree with all logical and rational opinions on this topic. Security is important, yes indeed.

- Still doesn't change the way I currently feel though... 😎

And I doubt the changes made to 'my' specific web sites had anything to do with security though. They all explained it with the mobile argument, getting more(LOL) user friendly and 'beautification'. Apparantly mobile units needs(?) some sort of 'overlay' login window to work properly ?? Which then clashes with my ancient browser's abilities. But then I am no expert on the technical side here, so this might as well be extra secure for all I know....

(this just being my very personal experience, which by no means imply that I want to impose security holes on all and sundry!)

Better mobile support is a reason. But IMO there should be a separate mobile site.
Regardless, I have no major problem with mobile even on older sites like this one

Another thing is websites that think they know best. Very frustrating.

For example, some sites I used to force the mobile site on older browsers with
m.<site>.com now automatically redirect to the heavy desktop site. Very stupid