VOGONS

Common searches

Adware and AdBlock on browser gaming

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Browsers themselves have now become gaming platforms, from simple soduku to complex Unity 3D gaming.
Yet advertisements may be a problem by itself. You know, ads above, on the side of, or below, the game, some even show ads inside the game itself and require you to wait to continue playing.

Adware, or advertisement software, is malware that injects extra advertisements to pages, thus in turn, sites that should be ad-free will appear to have ads, and ad-supported sites will look cluttered.
Over time you may see the ads from the adware appeal more to you, because it records your browsing habits, including passwords, just to customize the ads. Your password, which is tracked by the adware, can get stolen by cybercriminals. This may also affect browser gaming, as sometimes the ads block your game.

AdBlock, on the other hand, is the opposite of adware, removing advertisements, so sites that should be ad-free will be ad-free, and sites normally supported by ads will also be ad-free. If however you want to support sites that use non-obtrusive ads, use ABP, that whitelists some ads.

AdBlock and ABP may be referred afterwards as simply AdBlock, although unique from each other. If the word AdBlock is enclosed in brackets, it only refers to AdBlock.

To hunt for adware browser extensions you should get AdBlock, then disable all extensions except AdBlock. Refresh an open non-HTTPS page. Then enable an extension, refresh the page again and so on. Once you get to the culprit, disable or delete that browser extension.

AdBlock may prevent some web games from working, but you can whitelist their site.
ABP: Click the ABP icon, then Options, go to Whitelisted domains, then type the site you want whitelisted.
{AdBlock}: Click the AdBlock icon, then Options, go to Customize, then click Show ads on a webpage or domain, then type the site you wanna whitelist.

Get ABP: https://adblockplus.org
Get {AdBlock}: https://getadblock.com

Note: AdBlock does not prevent all web games from working.

Follow me on Twitter @kristoffer_jose
https://twitter.com/kristoffer_jose

Reply 2 of 34, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

I am pretty sure we are all aware of what AdBlock is here... *shrug*

It's also about its opposite, it's enemy, adware, whose job is to inject more advertisements. Adware is dangerous and should be treated like a virus.

Reply 7 of 34, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:

All the browser games I have ever played have ways of detecting when you're blocking the ads that support the game. If you're not a paid player and you're blocking the ads, then you're stealing their server time and will be banned before too long.

Sites that deny you access to content when an adblocker is detected usually force you to see the annoying privacy-invasive ads. These sites usually use an anti-Adblock script. I hate sites that do that. Perhaps subscribing to the AdBlock Warning Removal List will help.

For ABP:
Click the ABP icon, then Options, then mark the checkbox for AdBlock Warning Removal List.
For {AdBlock}:
Click the stop hand sign icon, then Options, go to Filter Lists, then mark the checkbox for AdBlock Warning Removal List.

To stop ads on smartphone games, turn on Airplane Mode.
iOS: Click the Settings app, then drag the Airplane Mode slider to ON.
Android: Press and hold the power key, then select Airplane mode from the pop-up menu. The Airplane mode indicator in the pop-up menu must be like an airplane with a slash or an X, or an airplane flying in diagonal position, otherwise you are turning it off. If you see an airplane in the status bar, it means Airplane mode is already ON.

The mobile game may have to be closed and run again for the ad to disappear.

Reply 8 of 34, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

All the browser games I have ever played have ways of detecting when you're blocking the ads that support the game. If you're not a paid player and you're blocking the ads, then you're stealing their server time and will be banned before too long.

Well I can see that happening, guess they don't really want me as a customer either.

I will just add their web address to my hosts file and redirect to localhost instead.

They can share the dungeon with my other favorite tracking sites, Facebook and Twitter.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 9 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:
Well I can see that happening, guess they don't really want me as a customer either. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Well I can see that happening, guess they don't really want me as a customer either.

I will just add their web address to my hosts file and redirect to localhost instead.

They can share the dungeon with my other favorite tracking sites, Facebook and Twitter.

So you think it's too much to ask that in exchange for using their server time that you allow a few banner ads to rotate periodically while you play? Don't forget, it's those banner ads that are keeping the server up. If they don't get the ad revenue they expect from those ads, the game goes away and then what will you do? Oh, yeah, I already know the answer to that. You'll go leech of someone else's game server until they have to shut down from lack of revenue, too. You realize that after a while game companies will be forced into eliminating free to play altogether, right?

Reply 10 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't buy most of the shit I see in browser ads anyway, so I figure I'm not really doing any harm by blocking them. Besides, they waste MY time and bandwidth, and provide another conduit for malware to get into my PC. I'm perfectly content with having a slightly crippled web experience in exchange for not having to deal with ads. If I really have to use a site that won't load properly with ads disabled, I use another browser profile without an ad blocker and return to my normal one as soon as I'm done. Most of the time however, I don't bother with anything that requires ads to work.

Call me entitled, but Internet ads suck. There are plenty of other people who don't block ads and put up with them... they're also more likely to be the type of people who will actually buy things featured in those ads, and thus provide revenue.

I should also mention, aside from the occasional dumb Flash game on Newgrounds or something, I almost never play browser-based games. F2P is a business model I don't support, and neither are ad-supported games.

Reply 11 of 34, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I don't buy most of the shit I see in browser ads anyway, so I figure I'm not really doing any harm by blocking them. Besides, they waste MY time and bandwidth, and provide another conduit for malware to get into my PC. I'm perfectly content with having a slightly crippled web experience in exchange for not having to deal with ads. If I really have to use a site that won't load properly with ads disabled, I use another browser profile without an ad blocker and return to my normal one as soon as I'm done. Most of the time however, I don't bother with anything that requires ads to work.

Call me entitled, but Internet ads suck. There are plenty of other people who don't block ads and put up with them... they're also more likely to be the type of people who will actually buy things featured in those ads, and thus provide revenue.

I should also mention, aside from the occasional dumb Flash game on Newgrounds or something, I almost never play browser-based games. F2P is a business model I don't support, and neither are ad-supported games.

PopCap free online games were previously ad-supported, until EA stopped the ads (as well as the free trials) around the last year.

I'd recommend websites to ask for voluntary donations instead of running anti-AdBlock scripts.

Just as I said, perhaps subscribing to the AdBlock Warning Removal List will help.

Regarding Conduit adware, use AdwCleaner to remove them. The other guys out there say you must use SpyHunter, but I recommend AdwCleaner, as it's totally free. SpyHunter requires you to buy its full version to remove all the malware it has detected.

If you utilize both AdwCleaner and AdBlock, you can be totally ad-free.

Reply 12 of 34, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:
Well I can see that happening, guess they don't really want me as a customer either. […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

So you think it's too much to ask that in exchange for using their server time that you allow a few banner ads to rotate periodically while you play? Don't forget, it's those banner ads that are keeping the server up. If they don't get the ad revenue they expect from those ads, the game goes away and then what will you do? Oh, yeah, I already know the answer to that. You'll go leech of someone else's game server until they have to shut down from lack of revenue, too. You realize that after a while game companies will be forced into eliminating free to play altogether, right?

Yes its too much and they can just go away for all I care, hopefully all F2P Games can just go away as well.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 13 of 34, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BigBodZod wrote:

Yes its too much and they can just go away for all I care, hopefully all F2P Games can just go away as well.

No. How are the poor or moneyless gamers if all games are paid?

They'd better request voluntary donations than put up anti-AdBlock scripts...

Reply 14 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KJ_Jose wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

Except we all know how well begging works. It doesn't. Rotating banner ads guarantees revenue for the company without digging into the pockets of gamers who can't afford a pay to play model. If you can afford to pay, then you become a premium member. If you can't afford to pay, you let banners rotate in your browser. You're not obligated to click on them and if you have a decent anti virus, you shouldn't have to worry about malware from an ad. If you're really worried about malware, then run your browser in a VM so if it gets infected all you have to do is shut down your VM session and restart and it will be gone.

Reply 15 of 34, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:
KJ_Jose wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

Except we all know how well begging works. It doesn't. Rotating banner ads guarantees revenue for the company without digging into the pockets of gamers who can't afford a pay to play model. If you can afford to pay, then you become a premium member. If you can't afford to pay, you let banners rotate in your browser. You're not obligated to click on them and if you have a decent anti virus, you shouldn't have to worry about malware from an ad. If you're really worried about malware, then run your browser in a VM so if it gets infected all you have to do is shut down your VM session and restart and it will be gone.

Online ads pose many threats of their own. To my opinion, webmasters utilizing anti-AdBlock scripts want to expose their visitors to adware, spyware, trojan horses and viruses.

Just as I said in the post at the very page 1 top of this thread, consider whitelisting the site.

And oh, you seem to support the advertising model.

PopCap has got more revenue from the premium downloadable model, and recently with that, they stopped rotating banner and interruptive ads on free online games.

Reply 17 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I wouldn't mind so much if so many of them still weren't flogging "1 tip of a flat belly". Or if they weren't auto-playing video ads.

While I suppose it must still be out there somewhere, I haven't been concerned about malevolent browser-hijacking adware in years.

Reply 18 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once got a drive-by download from a banner ad, and from that point on, I started using ad blockers for almost all of my day-to-day surfing. I still do it even on Linux, just because I've gotten so used to it.

Reply 19 of 34, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
KJ_Jose wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

Donation requests DO work. Sure most people don't donate. But some will.
It won't hurt to have a donate button available.

Ads are unacceptable if they contain CPU and memory sucking flash or worse yet SOUND.

I keep ABP "non-intusive" ad mode enabled and it seems to work well. Blocks all the flash crap at least