Common searches

Guess the game!!

Topic actions

Reply 1380 of 1640, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright, try this one. Word of warning: it's a fairly well-known game and is on Youtube but does not appear to be on Mobygames yet. Somebody should add it for big cred.

veryugly.jpg
Filename
veryugly.jpg
File size
98.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's also ugly as shit.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1382 of 1640, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like something Accolade would've made back in the DOS days.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1385 of 1640, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick hint before I go to bed: despite being a 2.5D shooter, this came out between Quake & Half Life. AFAIK it does not use any of the common engines that were around then (Doom, Build, etc.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1387 of 1640, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ WTF, it didn't show up when I searched for it! I tried both Moby's internal engine and using Google to search the site. Sorry for the misdirection in any case. (Edit: just noticed Moby have it listed under "Windows" although that doesn't explain why search failed.)

Mad Space is one of those ones that I like a ton even though I've never played it all the way through & don't even think it's very good. The gameplay is honestly kinda crap (and SO VERY UGLY) but it was super innovative back in the day. See my comments elsewhere about preferring games that were unafraid to try things out of left field. My next clue was going to be "non-euclidian geometry" which it used all over the place (hence the name!), AFAIK it was the first FPS game to do so in its original release. (There were already some community-made maps for Descent 1 & 2 that played with it in a similar way.) If you liked Antichamber or Portal, well, this one did it first.

It also supports the VFX-1 (albeit with the left & right eyes reversed?? I haven't been able to get that set up right yet!), 3D shutter glasses, and voice commands via speech recognition.

Fun fact: it's also on Steam so you can still buy it to this day. 😜

The floor's yours Mr Flibble!

Reply 1388 of 1640, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Edit: just noticed Moby have it listed under "Windows" although that doesn't explain why search failed.

Good catch, gotta file a correction on that.

In the meantime, let's try this:
qWpyZIA.png

Had to crop it just to be sure that Google search-by-image doesn't identify the screenshot. It should be easily recognisable anyway though.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1389 of 1640, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Ooh, I know! It's Warcraft II ............. clone.

Umm, Stratagus?

Reply 1390 of 1640, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically Stratagus is just an engine, but I wish Aleona's Tales looked like this 😀 (there's also Wyrmsun though with more Warcraft-y graphics).

Hint: this one is a DOS game.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1393 of 1640, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFlibble wrote:

New one ->

hohohomerrychristmas.jpg
Filename
hohohomerrychristmas.jpg
File size
63.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1394 of 1640, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tpLq3Nwl.jpg

I guess ill try my hand at this thread.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1395 of 1640, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Have a read of the rules in the OP. One game at a time. The post above you is the current game we're trying to guess. Whoever gets the guess right then gets to choose the next game to guess.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1396 of 1640, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:

New one ->

hohohomerrychristmas.jpg

Is this the one we're guessing? This looks like one of the parts in Leisure Suit Larry: Love For Sail. I remember wondering why their whiskers stood out so much 😊

smoking beavers 🤣

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 1397 of 1640, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Have a read of the rules in the OP. One game at a time. The post above you is the current game we're trying to guess. Whoever gets the guess right then gets to choose the next game to guess.

1.) then "read the rules" should be in the title
2.) you ARE NOT a mod, so please never tell me what to do. None mods telling me what to do (aka people who place themselves in false positions of power) makes me want to do the opposite.
3.) no thanks, I'm out. I already don't like the attitude of this thread.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1398 of 1640, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
1.) then "read the rules" should be in the title 2.) you ARE NOT a mod, so please never tell me what to do. None mods telling me […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

2.) you ARE NOT a mod, so please never tell me what to do. None mods telling me what to do (aka people who place themselves in false positions of power) makes me want to do the opposite.

Jeez, he was just telling you to read the rules of the thread.

Reply 1399 of 1640, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
1.) then "read the rules" should be in the title 2.) you ARE NOT a mod, so please never tell me what to do. None mods telling me […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Chill. Just admit you were wrong, no one is going to put you down for that.

I think you're right BeginnerGuy 😀.