VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Bought a laptop from a friend. I'm kinda new on laptops, how do I update the hardware of it?
Where should I look for drivers? Say the GPU for example, should I go to Nvidia or Acer?
I found a program that scans the hardware and notify which one I need to update, it's called DriverToolkit, should I use that?

Reply 3 of 13, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Specifications always help. Also those driver download programs generally have a tendency of filling systems up with all sorts of things you do not want.

Generally what I do is download the Intel chipset drivers, the GPU drivers (on laptops with switchable graphics you generally can only get them from the manufacturer itself, if the graphics aren't switchable then you can get the drivers from NVIDIA. If the GPU were from AMD, it all depends on the manufacturer), the audio drivers (generally Realtek these days), and the latest touchpad drivers (if you care about that sort of thing - I do). After that I open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc) to see if there are any unknown devices, and if there are any, search their PCI ID's

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE

Reply 4 of 13, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The fun thing is; with a built stationary I find it alot easier to hunt for drivers because I know what's in it.
With pre-builds I know jackshit and as you said, those toolkits shows alot of stuff. Most of it are just crap, I saw it as well when I checked my lap with it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend going to Acer's website as well, since the majority of laptops with switchable graphics that I've seen require manufacturer-specific drivers. Don't use any kind of driver software like DriverToolkit; it's really unnecessary and might lead to some problems with PUPs and such.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6 of 13, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thank you all for the tips. I've removed DriverToolkit. I'm sure it's good for something but not for this.
I've learnt a new tern today, switchable graphisc. What is that? I've noticed in the Nvidia CP that I do indeed have two GFX chips.

Reply 7 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Switchable graphics - since Sandy Bridge, laptops can have two GPUs, the integrated Intel graphics on the CPU and a discrete graphics chip, like the AMD Radeon HD 6630M on my Sony Vaio, that's meant for higher-performance stuff like games. I've seen it on some AMD-based laptops as well.

Reply 9 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it depends on the laptop. For instance, on my Vaio, there's a manual speed/stamina switch that goes between the two different graphics systems. I kinda want to say that some newer laptops can do this automatically (or in software at the very least), but I'm not totally sure about that.

Reply 10 of 13, by Kaasschaaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rod Primitive wrote:

How do the laptop "know" when to switch when I'm about to start a game? Or do I have to do it manually? If so, how?

Generally it autodetects (e.g. when you launch a Direct3D app), but let's just say that it doesn't work perfectly all the time (OpenGL games tend to turn into a lagfest if graphics aren't manually switched)

Main rig: i5-3450, ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, AMD HD7850, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Northwood rig: Northwood 2.8GHz, Intel D865PERL, GF4 MX480, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP1/Windows 98SE

Reply 12 of 13, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Usually you can fix these settings with panel control setting!
Default settings are great for home use!
If you want to run old games, it's better to set only discrete gpu because there are some incompatibility with old 3D Engine

Reply 13 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I also have this laptop some pointers: (May not totally apply to your case since mine came with Windows 8 and installed drivers, if you are reinstalling from scratch you might have a different experience.)
Download the drivers from http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers (just enter "Aspire V5-573G") and install them
I think I compared the versions to the already installed versions and skipped identical drivers.

Geforce Experience was installed, it can download the latest nVidia drivers and install them so I'd disagree with the statement "on laptops with switchable graphics you generally can only get them from the manufacturer itself" since the reference drivers seem to work fine. After all, Optimus (that's what nVidia's switchable graphics is called) was created by nVidia so it makes sense that it works with their drivers.
I also manually installed newer Intel graphics drivers (look for "Intel HD Graphics 4400").

You should definitely read up on Optimus. It is not always autodetected, the driver includes a list which applications/games should use the integrated or the discrete GPU. You can edit this list, eg. make new entries, and you can also tell it to use integrated or discrete graphics for everything which doesn't have an own entry or where the entry says that the global setting should be used.
There is also a global autodetect setting but I didn't try how that works exactly.
If possible I would try to use integrated video as long as possible as the machine can get quite loud when using the nVidia chip.
As for "OpenGL games tend to turn into a lagfest if graphics aren't manually switched" - I think that depends, for older OpenGL games like Doom 3 the integrated graphics might be OK depending on the resolution.

Re "If you want to run old games, it's better to set only discrete gpu because there are some incompatibility with old 3D Engine": My experience was the opposite, some old games (Frogware Sherlock Holmes series) refused to run with nVidia graphics but ran fine with Intel graphics. Unfortunately I couldn't find an option to disable Optimus altogether (in that case the Intel driver won't be loaded at all), I have seen this in a different laptop.