Common searches

Campers suck

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the good things about split-screen gaming is that it's easy to see if and where your opponent is camping, and so act accordingly. But sadly split-screen gaming is becoming less and less common on consoles, and was never exactly well known on the PC.

Camping is fine in games like Team Fortress 2, where being a sniper is a legitimate role, but for non-class* based first person shooters, it's mostly frowned upon, though some people do believe that it's a legitimate tactic.

* 'Class' based as in you have different attributes according to the class (character type) you choose to play as when the round begins.

Reply 21 of 22, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, if the game allows it (map design or whatever,) I'm not against it. I'm not patient enough to do it myself, but I'm not against others doing it.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 22 of 22, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't play FPS games, and when I do, I don't play them against other humans, and when I do, they're just people in my family.

But I don't have any problem with camping, I just don't like how it creates controversy in-game. I think "camping" is another word for "playing with strategy". Mindlessly running in circles bouncing off the walls shooting laser beams at the moon is as boring as NBA Basketball IMO. But from what I've seen, the scoring system in these games rewards the latter play style anyway. The only thing a camper will possibly win is kill:death ratio, and if the game is tracking that, then great. Meanwhile, total kills will always be won by a 14 year old on crack. Everybody has something to strive for. 😀

Personally, I went from single player campaigns in DOOM II and Quake to some rare games in Unreal 2004.. and that's it. My nephew dragged me into some XBox360 FPS a couple years ago and I couldn't kill anybody, I was just a walking points bag. The only kills I got was from lying prone and aiming.