VOGONS

Common searches

Trustworthy buyer?

Topic actions

First post, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So.. I sold my LAPC-I on Ebay today, and someone bid like crazy on it, like.. an uncomfortable amount. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261780953504?ssPageNa … 984.m1555.l2649

I'm not sure if I should take the bid seriously or not. The buyer has high feedback rate, but I'm concerned about getting scammed. The buyer paying and then reporting the card as not received and Paypal stepping in to pull the money back, losing me both the card and the money.

Normally I wouldn't be worried with someone that has 75 feedback, but the amount he's bid for it doesn't seem proportional to the value of the card.

Should I cancel the order?

Reply 1 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I certainly don't want to influence your decision because I'm biased. I know I would like a crack at an LAPC-I and plenty others here would, too. So it wouldn't be right for me to weigh in.

That said, I will say this... There's a high likelihood that the buyer visits this site, and may even be a regular. A proof positive way for them to authenticate themselves to you would be for this person to PM you here. If they did, and you recognize the buyer... done deal.

This obviously only helps if the winning bidder is a member here and would be willing to PM you in private.

Reply 2 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea QBin! I'll send him a message and see if he's registered at any of the forums that I'm familiar with and ask him to PM me on there. If it's someone in the community I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable sending the card out.

Reply 3 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take care not to "give away too much" and watch the post counts. If the person joins the forum solely to PM you and has otherwise never participated here, be suspicious. If the buyer is a regular here, you wouldn't even have to send a message via eBay.

Reply 6 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thirst wrote:
So.. I sold my LAPC-I on Ebay today, and someone bid like crazy on it, like.. an uncomfortable amount. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2 […]
Show full quote

So.. I sold my LAPC-I on Ebay today, and someone bid like crazy on it, like.. an uncomfortable amount. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261780953504?ssPageNa … 984.m1555.l2649

I'm not sure if I should take the bid seriously or not. The buyer has high feedback rate, but I'm concerned about getting scammed. The buyer paying and then reporting the card as not received and Paypal stepping in to pull the money back, losing me both the card and the money.

Normally I wouldn't be worried with someone that has 75 feedback, but the amount he's bid for it doesn't seem proportional to the value of the card.

Should I cancel the order?

Are you new to eBay or something? Just add a signature confirmation and you're set.

Reply 7 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dreamer: No I'm not new to Ebay, and naturally I will both insure the package and send by signature required.

I was concerned though because Ebay doesn't support my national carrier for tracking on site, and I am worried that would affect my claim if there is a conflict.

I emailed the buyer, and will hopefully get a reply soon.

Reply 8 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't matter if ebay doesn't support the courier you are using, it means nothing 😉

Send it with a reputable courier , fully trackable and signature required (like others said) and you'll be fine. Just don't use "Swedish post registered shipping" , opt for something like EPG or EMS or TNT. You can get screwed because when the card arrives at the destination country the mailman can just deliver the package without a signature, Swedish post takes your package and delivers it to the other country's post service - that's when things can get wrong. With the services I listed above the courier stays the same, nomatter what the destination country is. For example, EMS picks it up - EMS delivers it.

A better courier might cost more BUT you'll have peace of mind. It's worth it since the card reached such a high bid.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

It doesn't matter if ebay doesn't support the courier you are using, it means nothing 😉

Send it with a reputable courier , fully trackable and signature required (like others said) and you'll be fine. Just don't use "Swedish post registered shipping" , opt for something like EPG or EMS or TNT. You can get screwed because when the card arrives at the destination country the mailman can just deliver the package without a signature, Swedish post takes your package and delivers it to the other country's post service - that's when things can get wrong. With the services I listed above the courier stays the same, nomatter what the destination country is. For example, EMS picks it up - EMS delivers it.

A better courier might cost more BUT you'll have peace of mind. It's worth it since the card reached such a high bid.

Keropi: I don't mind shelling out for the fancy carrier, but the buyer is also in Sweden so the carrier would be the same throughout nevertheless. Thanks for the response, I feel a lot more assured now.

Reply 10 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No matter what you think of him you have to send the card. Otherwise don't use ebay

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

No matter what you think of him you have to send the card. Otherwise don't use ebay

I will. I just wanted to be sure I'm as protected as possible beforehand.

Reply 12 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, same country shipping? How fortunate!
I'd still use a courier to be 100% sure he is the one getting the package... plus it won't cost much more and he'll get it in a day or two. Just an extra layer of protection that doesn't hurt 😉
And keep all the receipts ofcourse.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So.. I reached the buyer, and he says he added a zero by misstake. It's still a bit up in the air whether or not he'll commit to it or not. I'll update when I hear back.

Reply 14 of 63, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thirst wrote:

So.. I reached the buyer, and he says he added a zero by misstake. It's still a bit up in the air whether or not he'll commit to it or not. I'll update when I hear back.

Oh, you mean he only meant to bid $83.00 instead of $830.00? That makes so much sense when the auction was somewhere in the $300 range when he bid, twice.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 63, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:
Thirst wrote:

Oh, you mean he only meant to bid $83.00 instead of $830.00? That makes so much sense when the auction was somewhere in the $300 range when he bid, twice.

Not necessarily... his maximum bid could have been $400 and he typed in $4000. It's not entirely implausible.

Reply 18 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ oh yeah... didn't think of that
still it's cheesy
maybe Thirst can use eBay's "second chance" and sell the card to the previous bidder?

Reply 19 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Something like that sucks. If you are going to the second winner I would feel so cheated if I were him. As if you were driving the price up through a strawman but overdid it 😉
(it's obvious to us that you didn't 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper