Trustworthy buyer?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Thirst can use eBay's "second chance" and sell the card to the previous bidder?

There is a reason I don't accept second chance offers and it calls "Shill bidding".

Reply 22 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Something like that sucks. If you are going to the second winner I would feel so cheated if I were him. As if you were driving the price up through a strawman but overdid it 😉
(it's obvious to us that you didn't 😉)

Why would the winning bidder feel cheated if they themselves have already stated their bid that high was a mistake (though I still question how much of mistake it could have been given the multiple bids).

Let's also bear in mind that to get to $830, his bid had to beat the second highest bidder that was also just as insane. Regardless, the situation lately on eBay with some of these items has become ludicrous.

Reply 23 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Qbin, read again, i'm talking about the second winnee.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Qbin, read again, i'm talking about the second winnee.

My bad. I misread that.

All the same. If you put in a max bid, you have to be comfortable knowing there's the possibility it will get that high. Fraud is another matter entirely. Assuming that's not a factor, anyone who wins for less than their max bid should be pleased.

Reply 25 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he, the second chance means the next one pays his max bid.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 63, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the shipping address on Google maps and if it seems dodgy, I would contact ebay and see what they say. There are third party shipping services out there that repackage the items and send them overseas for buyers that you have forbidden. The buyer just uses their US address as the ship to and that bypasses your country restrictions. Once it gets dropped at the third party shippers address, you have no way of knowing where it is or of verifying whether the buyer actually received it or not. If the address shows it's a warehouse or UPS store or something like that I would consider just taking the bad feedback and blocking the bidder when you relist. 830 is too much to take the risk on especially since ebay always sides with the buyer if they complain that they never received it. You may as well wipe your bottom with your signature confirmation card because you'll lose regardless of how much evidence you present. You'll be out the money and the card.

Reply 28 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got emailed by Ebay just now:

"We wanted to let you know that we were contacted by the buyer, "CENSORED " about the item, "

Roland LAPC-I / LAPC-1 Soundcard( 261780953504) I know that you are aware made a mistake when placing an amount.

In this manner the buyer would like to would like to cancel this transaction.

You do not have to worry. The cancel transaction request will allow you and the buyer to mutually agree to void the binding contract, you will also get a credit of his insertion fees and final value fees once the request is closed ad you can actually relist the item.#"

So I guess I'm relisting it once the cancellation goes through? Annoying as hell.

Reply 29 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, I don't see this going other way... be sure to write on your new listing that you relist the card because the winning bidder wanted to cancel the sale.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thirst wrote:

So I guess I'm relisting it once the cancellation goes through? Annoying as hell.

You shouldn't have to worry. The next jackass in line "x***p" was willing to pay $820.00

I think you'll do fine. You might be able to start planning your next holiday ahead of time.

<rant>
...but I still think anyone who drives the prices that high are complete jackasses who ruin this hobby for the average enthusiast. Honestly, if they are members here, I hope they read this thread. They should take that money and buy a clue with it because they obviously don't have one.
</rant>

Reply 31 of 63, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:

<rant>
...but I still think anyone who drives the prices that high are complete jackasses who ruin this hobby for the average enthusiast. Honestly, if they are members here, I hope they read this thread. They should take that money and buy a clue with it because they obviously don't have one.
</rant>

I don't understand this argument. Everyone has a different idea of what expensive is, and if someone has the cash to spend on a rare-ish item that they wants right now - not wait 5 years until they find a cheap one - then why shouldn't they spend it? What are you proposing they do? Think to themselves "I could spend up to 800 bucks on that, but then I might drive the price up and out of QBiN's price range. I'd better only bid 400."

It's just supply and demand - a very simple system. If it doesn't work for you then either provide a better solution, or zip it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 32 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I don't understand this argument. Everyone has a different idea of what expensive is, and if someone has the cash to spend on a rare-ish item that they wants right now - not wait 5 years until they find a cheap one - then why shouldn't they spend it? What are you proposing they do? Think to themselves "I could spend up to 800 bucks on that, but then I might drive the price up and out of QBiN's price range. I'd better only bid 400."

It's just supply and demand - a very simple system. If it doesn't work for you then either provide a better solution, or zip it.

Listen, as I've said before... the reason most people get into retro computing is two fold... #1, it brings them back to fond memories of a different era of computing. Perhaps it was the era that one first got their family computer or played their favorite game or called their first bulletin board. #2 (and the germane point here) it allows folks as adults, with more disposable income than they had when they were younger, experiment with and enjoy hardware that would have been an unattainable luxury when they younger. I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't know anyone with a bank of Roland and Yamaha synths for gaming back then.

Again, as I've said before, buyers are well within their right to outbid everyone else is they so choose. It is simple supply and demand. Nonetheless, it does most definitely create the modern day equivalent of that condition where these things were reasonably unattainable, and that's sad. Those with more money than sense are paying, by any reasonable measure, well beyond the market average and skewing the market for the rest. Note here, that I'm not decrying their abundance of money. Good on 'em. It's the good sense part that's missing. I consider this a community, and members of communities that are tight knit don't screw over the rest for the abject supremacy of their personal gain. That's my opinion and I don't claim to make that opinion on behalf of anyone else.

Let me put it to you this way, if everyone of means paid hundreds of percent over market and hoarded everything they bought, this forum wouldn't exist. Plain and simple. There would be no community.

Lastly, I made clear that was just my rant, but I didn't single anyone out. Please don't make assumptions about my or anyone else's price range, and snarky to boot. Just because I choose not to spend double what the market says something is worth, doesn't imply I don't have the means to. So zip that.

Reply 33 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
QBiN wrote:

Let me put it to you this way, if everyone of means paid hundreds of percent over market and hoarded everything they bought, this forum wouldn't exist. Plain and simple.

Wrong. Marvin is only a small, and recent, part of VOGONS.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 35 of 63, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:

Listen, as I've said before...

I want to refute your logic, but I can't detect any, so I guess I will zip it 😕

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 36 of 63, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is why I try to spread my funds around to a bunch of hobbies. If all I did was old PC parts, I'd buy multiples of things I don't need; that doesn't serve me (how many versions of the VooDoo II do I need, anyway?), and it doesn't serve the community of people who are all interested in a limited, dwindling supply of "things."

That being said, I need more copies of MechWarrior 3.

Reply 37 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I represented my views as my own and would gladly share in a debate of ideas based on their merits. It's sad that you'd rather punt and resort to petty and personal digs. Good luck to you.

AidanExamineer wrote:

This is why I try to spread my funds around to a bunch of hobbies. If all I did was old PC parts, I'd buy multiples of things I don't need; that doesn't serve me (how many versions of the VooDoo II do I need, anyway?), and it doesn't serve the community of people who are all interested in a limited, dwindling supply of "things."

Amen, brother.

Reply 38 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:
badmojo wrote:

I represented my views as my own and would gladly share in a debate of ideas based on their merits. It's sad that you'd rather punt and resort to petty and personal digs. Good luck to you.

You're wasting your time on badmojo my fellow Texan. It's the most negative person on this site. I've put him on my ignore list as soon as I registered on this site.

Reply 39 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
QBiN wrote:

I'm not talking about Marvin or Milliways or any one section, Stiletto.

Still, this forum only in parts exist for hardware retro gamers. The forum itself was birthed as a place to get old games working on modern hardware.