Common searches

Trustworthy buyer?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh great, way to derail the thread and start a flamewar because someone on eBay is willing to spend 800$ on something. bravo.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Flaming and personal attacks aside, I agree that it's a bit ridiculous with what some items run for these days, but that being said, I wouldn't presume to judge anyone willing to pay whatever they're willing if they want a piece of hardware bad enough. Each to their own really.

I really didn't want to cause any drama with this thread, so I'll try to stay out of it from here on.

I agreed to cancel the order like the buyer wished, and I offered it to the runner up, but I don't think he'll grab it so I'll simply relist it tonight and hope for a more sincere bidder next time. I'm starting to wonder if this kind of thing is common on Ebay. With my Earthbound auction I'm again getting someone who says he wants to cancel. Frustrating as hell.

Reply 42 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Bidders remorse or so. Getting caught in auction fever and later regretting it. Sucks a lot.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 63, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
QBiN wrote:
badmojo wrote:

I want to refute your logic, but I can't detect any, so I guess I will zip it 😕

I represented my views as my own and would gladly share in a debate of ideas based on their merits. It's sad that you'd rather punt and resort to petty and personal digs. Good luck to you.

You're wasting your time on badmojo my fellow Texan. It's the most negative person on this site. I've put him on my ignore list as soon as I registered on this site.

He's the nicest and the finniest guy around here, what are you talking about?

Reply 44 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
QBiN wrote:
badmojo wrote:

I represented my views as my own and would gladly share in a debate of ideas based on their merits. It's sad that you'd rather punt and resort to petty and personal digs. Good luck to you.

You're wasting your time on badmojo my fellow Texan. It's the most negative person on this site. I've put him on my ignore list as soon as I registered on this site.

Please do not badmouth other users, especially those you blocked. It's bad karma to speak ill of people behind their backs.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 45 of 63, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also offer it for sale for the going rate ($450-550) on Quest Studios / AmiBay / Vintage Computer Forum / DOSforum.de / ClassicComputing.org et cetera and avoid any and all eBay/PayPal drama.

Reply 46 of 63, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

You can also offer it for sale for the going rate ($450-550) on Quest Studios / AmiBay / Vintage Computer Forum / DOSforum.de / ClassicComputing.org et cetera and avoid any and all eBay/PayPal drama.

Wouldn't payment still be handled through Paypal in these cases normally?

Reply 47 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Please do not badmouth other users, especially those you blocked. It's bad karma to speak ill of people behind their backs.

Can't hide the truth. Does it looks like I talk behind someone's back? You gotta be kidding me, unless he is blind or can't read.

Reply 48 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ooh, what a nice thread this became. Best I let you all fully ruin it yourself. Good luck.

Reply 49 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thirst wrote:

Flaming and personal attacks aside, I agree that it's a bit ridiculous with what some items run for these days, but that being said, I wouldn't presume to judge anyone willing to pay whatever they're willing if they want a piece of hardware bad enough. Each to their own really.

What does the price have to do with?

badmojo wrote:

Dominus wrote:

Ooh, what a nice thread this became. Best I let you all fully ruin it yourself. Good luck.

Why would say anything in the first place? Don't tell me that you didn't expect a respond.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2015-02-25, 14:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 50 of 63, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thirst wrote:

I agreed to cancel the order like the buyer wished, and I offered it to the runner up, but I don't think he'll grab it so I'll simply relist it tonight and hope for a more sincere bidder next time. I'm starting to wonder if this kind of thing is common on Ebay. With my Earthbound auction I'm again getting someone who says he wants to cancel. Frustrating as hell.

Sorry to hear that. I think every auction site has it's share of shenanigans. Keep at it. Most bidders are sincere and honest.

Reply 51 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thirst wrote:

No, it's not common, but if you believe that the bidder lied to you then you might want to add him to your ignore list and he won't be able to make those bidding mistakes on your auctions anymore.

Reply 52 of 63, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Auctions freak me out anyway. Auction psychology, particularly. If you treat your eBay like a storefront, it's smooth sailing!

Of course, you won't get the best prices that way. In theory.

Reply 53 of 63, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the "second chance" feature on eBay is flawed.
When a non-paying bidder screws up an auction, the 2nd chance offer should set the price to what would have happened if the first guy never existed. Otherwise, that person is still artificially increasing the price, which the 2nd place bidder perceives as unfair, and makes them suspect shilling.
In other words, eBay (with the seller's permission) should offer the 2nd place bidder here a price of $411 (not $820). That's what the price would have been if the NPB had not been involved*.
I don't think eBay has any proper implementation of this though, so it might not be safe for the seller (or buyer) to try to arrange the pricing themselves. Unfortunately the suspicion that this situation creates may deter the 2nd place bidder from even bidding the next time around, and that unfairly hurts the seller.

Unfortunately the deadbeat doesn't face any repercussions if it's a mutual agreement to cancel. However, I don't blame you for agreeing, I'm sure I would have done the same. Refusing the cancellation and opening a case would have been risky, because you'd be forcing his hand into a hostile transaction. That would be bad news - it's dangerous to get into a transaction with someone like this. But it would feel a lot more just if they got the mark on their account that they deserve for screwing up an auction.

* = not entirely true - in the absence of the deadbeat, somebody else might have entered the bidding. But it's still more reasonable than the current system, and the seller would still have the option of relisting it instead.

Reply 54 of 63, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, I think that would make the 2nd chance fairer...

Reply 55 of 63, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think eBay cares to be "fair". The more the item sells the more they get.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 56 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I don't think eBay cares to be "fair". The more the item sells the more they get.

Well, it's not actually a secret. eBay has many flaws, but eBay won't fix them because this way they make more money. The second chance offer is just one of them.

Reply 57 of 63, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thirst wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Wouldn't payment still be handled through Paypal in these cases normally?

I only accept PayPal for family/friends. That way there is no risk. I have sold many LAPC-Is, SCC-1s, RAP-10s and so on to RU/EU/US/CA/AU/TH that way. Never had any problems. I test the item, video it, take pictures, package & picture and provide insurance / tracking / signature delivery. This way all the risk is on the buyer.

AidanExamineer wrote:

Auctions freak me out anyway. Auction psychology, particularly. If you treat your eBay like a storefront, it's smooth sailing!

Of course, you won't get the best prices that way. In theory.

You do. You need to find items that are not described well. Or items that are buried inside system cases or lots. There are many treasures to be had.

Reply 58 of 63, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Insurance on shipping I see as a complete waste of money since the terms and conditions are NOT made for the customer. They will always blame you for not packaging it correctly. You can use as much packaging materials as you can dream of and still doesn't matter. If it goes missing it can take 6 months time with crazy amount of documentation and mailing to get any money back.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 59 of 63, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Insurance on shipping I see as a complete waste of money since the terms and conditions are NOT made for the customer. They will always blame you for not packaging it correctly. You can use as much packaging materials as you can dream of and still doesn't matter. If it goes missing it can take 6 months time with crazy amount of documentation and mailing to get any money back.

Any insurance is a rip off, there is always a loophole.