VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys, I've been wondering for a while now if there are any good free software suites for recording in Windows 98. I'm looking for something that will run on a 200MMX with 64MB RAM up to a 500mhz Pentium 3 with 800MB RAM. Audacity is a little too power hungry, it's a great program but for this I want something a bit lighter that will still record decent sounding audio.

The reason I'm wondering is because I record "music" and I need another computer to record the synthesized instruments of the first one and since the synth sounds are being generated on my main computer (since it's a bit of a power hungry process) I need another computer, but before I try and build a P4 computer or better to do this task I thought maybe I could get away with using one of my older computers for the time being.

I had some other computer that would have been more suited to this sort of thing but I scrapped them when the motheboards developed bad caps. 🙁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 8 of 10, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Audacity is great. But probably not so much for 64MB of RAM

Yeah that's exactly why I asked. 🤣 Audacity is a little too modern.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 9 of 10, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just installed WinDAT on a Win95 VirtualPC VM. But I have not used this app since the 90s so I don't know if it is good or not.

Attachments

• windat.png
    Filename
    windat.png
    File size
    13.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WinDAT 201KB.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 10 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool Edit was also my standard before Audacity came around. The shareware version had some weird but reasonable limitations. I'm not sure what the last available version was; it became Adobe Audition in 2003.