VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys! Another video here, sorry if I do this too much 🤣.

I found this Dell Dimension 4100 in the trash last week and decided rather than making it work I would strip it for parts (I have another Dell Pentium 3 machine with integrated Yamaha XG sound). So while I did this I decided to film it so you could see what comes in this system. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsW3QeeMF0

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought you were a bit harsh on the old girl! Although not a big fan of the Socket P3's myself either.
Soundcard was the Creative PCI64, aka Ensoniq AudioPCI, aka many other things the ES137x chip is the give away. Nothing special but not a bad choice for a PCI only machine like that as you get SB Pro emulation in true dos.
I would have kept the Power supply as a spare for your other Dell Pc as you probably know the pinout isn't standard ATX.
Flopppy will suit any late 90's case where everyone was hiding the FDD behind the case faceplate.
The spacers or blanking panels you could probably sell on ebay, more out of kindness then profit. We have had 1 or 2 people here that have lost theirs but doubt anyone would pay more then a couple of bucks.
The CPU is 1Ghz which is the higher end of P3's but its 133 FSB which there are faster ones available.

The Audio connection was so you could use your modem as a answering machine. I have NEVER seen this used as the software needs to be running and PC's were still not that stable to leave on 24x7 and still had trouble doing more then 2 things at once.

Still enjoyed the video though, old hardware is nice to see

Reply 2 of 3, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got one of those sitting in storage, and it's actually a really nice system. It's quiet, stable, and has great performance for a P3. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of ISA, but from what I recall, I was able to get audio working in Warcraft II using a Sound Blaster PCI128, so it should work for other late DOS games running under Win9x.

If I were you, I'd reassemble it and give it another chance. Unlike Dell's later crap, the Dimension 4100 is a great box.

Reply 3 of 3, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Thought you were a bit harsh on the old girl! Although not a big fan of the Socket P3's myself either. Soundcard was the Creativ […]
Show full quote

Thought you were a bit harsh on the old girl! Although not a big fan of the Socket P3's myself either.
Soundcard was the Creative PCI64, aka Ensoniq AudioPCI, aka many other things the ES137x chip is the give away. Nothing special but not a bad choice for a PCI only machine like that as you get SB Pro emulation in true dos.
I would have kept the Power supply as a spare for your other Dell Pc as you probably know the pinout isn't standard ATX.
Flopppy will suit any late 90's case where everyone was hiding the FDD behind the case faceplate.
The spacers or blanking panels you could probably sell on ebay, more out of kindness then profit. We have had 1 or 2 people here that have lost theirs but doubt anyone would pay more then a couple of bucks.
The CPU is 1Ghz which is the higher end of P3's but its 133 FSB which there are faster ones available.

The Audio connection was so you could use your modem as a answering machine. I have NEVER seen this used as the software needs to be running and PC's were still not that stable to leave on 24x7 and still had trouble doing more then 2 things at once.

Still enjoyed the video though, old hardware is nice to see

Thanks glad you liked it! Admittedly I thought I was pretty negative too, I almost took the video down but I forgot to and well... it was scheduled to release so it did automatically. 😒 Thanks for the info on the system though, I know very little about the late 90's computers since like I said in the video I never had one back in the day and as such don't really care for them now. A few people have mentioned the PSU now and I wish I could say I kept it but I didn't even think twice about it last week after I was done making and editing the video. 🙁

So yeah it's long gone, but it didn't cost me anything and I learned a lesson from making this video. I also got a network card, DVD, Floppy and some sound cables out of it. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!