VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a complaint from Dominus saying my installer contains game files illegal to distribute! 😢

Is it illelegal to distribute official updates?

Is it illegal to distribute new missions with the permisson from the creators!

The new missions is created from scratch with a tool called lawmaker. The tools for making new outlaws missions is on Outlawdad's site.

Anyone have facts or just an opinion on this matter?

I know it is easy to search for Outlaws portable on google if that is what you want. Even wikipedia has bad links sort of speak. That is not the point.

Point is! Is it even possible to make a legit installer with offical updates and custom made addons?

Swede

Reply 3 of 4, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it ok to crypt game files and distribute if one only can unlock if the original cd is avalable. Technically you are not distributing game files since it is gibberish. And the key is stored on original cd, so almost unhackable. Sure you can se where to look on cd if you reverse engineer the installer but then you have to have the cd anyway to get your hands on the crypted files.

Just a thought!

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, legally speaking, it's not ok. You could try to get Disney to allow it. But that would only make them notice your illegal activities sooner.
Just don't distribute game data. If you want to use it, make your installer to copy them off the original CDs.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper