Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descende … ent-underground

Not entirely convinced, but I for sure do love the classic Descent games 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 13, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Once again, all I can say is this: thanks, but no thanks.

(Goes back to play the DXX-Rebirth port of Descent 2 😀 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now don't get me wrong, I love all three of the original Descent games, but something about this project has warning klaxons going off in my head... Possibly the fact that the cockpit mockup doesn't make me think of Descent at all, possibly because Interplay still holds the licensing, which means they may force the developers to do certain things with the project if it goes forward, possibly because the name feels too close to "Descent to Undermountain" when they REALLY should be calling it "Descent 4", or maybe because the ship designs they've presented so far just don't make me think "Descent" and instead make me think "Generic Spaceflight Game".

The difficulty in making a new Descent game after so many years is that fans of the original are going to need nostalgic connections. If the game diverges too much from the formula set by the first three, then it'll be a Descent game in name only and will not enjoy the measure of success the original games had. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tarvis wrote:

Considering Sol Contingency got C&D'd by Interplay, I can't really see this panning out either, unless Interplay is already involved.

Interplay must already be involved as if you read the page carefully, there's a line which says they've licensed the use of the "Descent" trademark from Interplay.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 13, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spaceships that look like subs? No gameplay footage? No thanks. What's with all these different ships anyways? Why not just one ship? Good grief.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 9 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent 3 had four ships (if you count the expansion) Pyromania mod added even more.

I see nothing wrong with multiple ships that have different stats, reminds me of what Shogo did with the MCA's.

Though if this was to be a prequel, I wonder if that "Miner's First" strike is going to be portrayed at all in this... Wait a second wasn't that "Red Faction"?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 13, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love me some Descent. The game never has been for everyone though, as if you even get a little motion sick from an FPS, this series would really churn your stomach. I'm going to back it.

As for the ship designs, they always were a little submarine looking, so IMO they are staying true to the series.

I just hope they support force feedback flight sticks, as that was my preferred way to play Descent.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 13 of 13, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me the Descent series will always be the best FPS game series ever. Slowly advancing through the claustrophobic and sometimes mindboggling complex levels (only wimps use the guide bot 😉) filled with enemies that were a lot smarter than anything else at the time. Together with the great soundtrack these games created an atmosphere that is unlike anything before and after. Simply the most fascinating and intelligent action games ever.

Unfortunately this Kickstarter project has nothing of Descent except the name, nothing. Instead it's primarily a multiplayer shooter so blatantly obvious designed around the Star Citizen money printing model of selling ships for probably ridiculous high prices that it almost hurts. "Pimp your ride". *shudder*

I would have paid alot of money for anything that tries to at least come close to what Descent was for me. Hopefully someone dares to try at some point in time after this Kickstarter rightfully failed...