VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seagate external drives have pretty much disappeared from all the brick-and-mortar stores around here - Office Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart. All you can get is Western Digital and Toshiba. Is everyone else seeing the same thing? (Just curious)

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not here in Australia. I purchased quite a few Seagate USB 3 drives from the post office.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I can still find external Seagate drives here in Southern California; Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Walmart stores have them.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 9, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... downhill?

Seriously though, I used to purchase Seagate products exclusively; they were the best. Sometime after 120gb drives became mainstream, their quality control became very sketchy. Nowadays, I won't use a modern Seagate in any system of value. Am I the only one who noticed this over the past ~10 years?

I purchased an external desktop USB 2.0 500gb drive a few years ago, but only because I found it for $25 during a holiday sale. Otherwise, I wouldn't have touched it. So far it still works OK, but I only trust it for holding movies, TV shows, and other non-critical data. Even though it's a full-size non-portable external, the drive inside is actually a 2.5" unit. Very strange, and I don't understand the logic behind that at all.

Reply 5 of 9, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I avoid Seagate where possible. Way too many dead drives. WD or Hitachi is what I recommend now.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 6 of 9, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used to use Samsung hard drives almost exclusively; after they sold their HDD division to Seagate, I've switched over to WD. IIRC, that was around the time of the firmware fiasco (7200.11 series etc.) that wound up killing a crapton of drives.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 8 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seagate makes cheap consumer HDDs, but it also makes (good?) corporate drives.

I switched to WD some years ago (even after purchasing one of those crappy green caviar), but it seems that Seagate and Hitachi have a monopoly in storage cabinet drives (SAS, FC and FATA drives).

In my country (Spain) you can buy Seagate and WD everywhere. Hitachi and other brands are rarer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 9, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wasn't trying to turn this into *that* kind of thread - but I probably have 10-12 Seagates from the 40-gigabyte error that are still running flawlessly. However it does seem that they have gone down quality wise.

Even if I could find them I would probably not buy - their warranty is not competitive.

The last external drives I got have all been Toshiba. I got three 750-gig models in Wal-Mart on clearance for a ridiculous price of ~ $45 each!!!!!!!!!!!! Have not had any trouble with them. Of course I am not *using* them - they are a backup - load them up, put them in a storage case, and forget them.