VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/19/canse … lk_bioses_hack/

As far as I can tell this is a "user end" only thing, but still it's an interesting read.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 11, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The way I see it, if you allow a potential attacker physical access to your system, you aren't doing your job correctly. 😉

Of course, what if you disabled onboard Ethernet from your BIOS, then put a password on it? Surely that could ward off some attackers, but some would just disassemble the laptop, look for the CMOS battery, and reset things to factory defaults. 🤣

Reply 3 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically once an attacker has physical access, it's all over anyway.

When I saw both the OP and el_PuSHeR have the Simpsons (or something like it) avatars, it left be confused for a good 5-10 seconds

Reply 4 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

When I saw both the OP and el_PuSHeR have the Simpsons (or something like it) avatars, it left be confused for a good 5-10 seconds

Exactly. A hacker can get what he wants from your computer in about 30 seconds by taking the case cover off, yanking your hard drive, then taking it with him to scan at his leisure if he manages to get in physical proximity.

Reply 5 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Exactly. A hacker can get what he wants from your computer in about 30 seconds by taking the case cover off, yanking your hard drive, then taking it with him to scan at his leisure if he manages to get in physical proximity.

The defense against physical access is full disk encryption which is not without downsides.
And even that isn't foolproof.

Reply 7 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It's up to mainboards manufacturers to patch up their lousy bios code.

It's up to the end user to secure there own systems from abuse. Games over once you give your system to someone else.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2015-03-28, 00:56. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

The defense against physical access is full disk encryption which is not without downsides.

Well...there is physical self-defense 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 11, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

That too 🤣

Reply 10 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It's up to mainboards manufacturers to patch up their lousy bios code.

Most motherboard manufacturers' websites do maintain databases containing all of their BIOS updates, but they don't do anything if people don't use them. Part of the problem, I think, is that they frequently tell you in the motherboard manual NOT to download BIOS updates unless you are experiencing problems and someone from tech support tells you to. Too many people seem not to have the proper skills to do a BIOS flash correctly and end up bricking their motherboards which leads to more calls to tech support.

Reply 11 of 11, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Only helps if you get to them before they manage to compromise your system. 🤣