VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys I have two model 50 WYSE serial terminals but I have no idea how to set them up to use with a modern computer. How do I go about setting up a serial server in order to test these things out? I know they work in local mode but as you guys know I do videos so I'd like to show them off on my channel.

Thanks in advance guys 😁

Here's a pic of one I took when I first got them. Was just dicking around with them as you can see. 😜

sam_0551_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8ipoxd.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I happen to have the same terminal, but never tried it. I think you could just connect it to a DOS machine, and then run:
MODE COM1: <baud rate options etc>
CTTY COM1:

Reply 2 of 9, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

I happen to have the same terminal, but never tried it. I think you could just connect it to a DOS machine, and then run:
MODE COM1: <baud rate options etc>
CTTY COM1:

I believe that's mostly right. Though, I don't think you need the ":" at the end of the CTTY command. This will only work for DOS apps that use DOS functions to write to the screen. Anything that writes directly to video or via BIOS calls will likely not get redirected over the serial port to the terminal.

In theory you should be able to also do this in a Win9x window and essentially pipe the DOS window to the terminal.

Also, most flavors of linux/freebsd/etc. also support serial consoles that work in parallel (i.e. in addition to) with the main console. Just google it if you run any of those. It's well documented.

Reply 3 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use EMS (Emergency Management Services) on Windows on a serial port (if you have one 😀 )

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

It's possible to view network settings and start cmd from EMS. I use it on servers via SoL (Serial on LAN) IPMI for out of band management.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you're a Linux guy, why don't you just edit inittab to spawn a tty on /dev/ttyS0 or whatever your serial port (or USB to serial adaptor) is called?

Then you just need a null-modem cable between the term and your PC's serial port.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I have Windows 98SE, Windows 95C, Windows 7, Windows XP Professional, Fedora Linux 21 and Debian Linux 8 at my disposal. 🤣

I also have the original SCO UNIX in the box with all the documentation that the original 486DX server ran for these terminals, however the Unix server is not in working order right now.

Reply 7 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's bucket load of tutorials for setting up terminals as QBin mentions. Even your humble XT can be used as one http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/

I just typed "Wyse 50 serial terminal linux" and this was my first hit http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html Shows the basics. Obviously you'll need to alter a few things for your systems if using usb-serial.

There were/are multi-user Dos versions such as Real/32 (based on DRIs multi user Dos), I've got a 3 user version 7.92 with fat32 support , you can hook a dumb terminal on in parallel with the main console as well to run dos text base programs.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest I haven't tried yet. 🤣

I shall have to give it a go soon, but seeing as I have scored a number of vintage machines for amazing prices they have my attention at the moment.