VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, I bought Rise of the Triad on CD-ROM shareware the other day. I am liking it a lot, and it has the modem play, IPX and serial multiplayer. Now I'm not too familiar with networking and ive never played an online game before, but for modem play, how would that work? Also does anyone still play online? Perhaps if not we here on VOGONS could start up a group of network players, not just on ROTT, but DOOM and other old games. Thanks!

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 8, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back around 1995/1996, I used to run a program called "Kali" for playing games online. I'm not sure if it still exists or not, or if anybody might be using it if it's still around. It was pretty rough around the edges back then, but it got the job done. I played an awful lot of C&C over Kali back then.

Reply 2 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say "modem play" do you mean direct modem or over the Internet? Both are possible. In one case you're dialing into a friend's machine or a server, in the other you're dialing into your ISP and then using whatever matchmaking service. With some games you can also use a VPN for network play over the web.

Modern online games usually just use a matchmaking service or similar "direct" connection by specifying the IP of your friend's computer or a server.

Reply 3 of 8, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost any game that allows IPX connections (most commonly associated with small LAN's), can be played with things like Hamachi. Direct play normally means that the game has built in modem commands for direct connect modems. This allows one computer to launch the game, and use it to directly dial another computer that is also running the game. From there, the two computers establish a handshake and one acts as a host for the game. This was a very common way to play with others in the mid-late 90's.

IPX on the other hand was meant to be used on a private network and back then, not to many people had networks in their homes. A simple but well built switch could cost $100 alone and even if you made your own Ethernet cables, you didn't save that much and then there was the cost of the computers themselves and the fact that you had to add a network card that could cost another $50-$150 per machine. They were commonly used at the birth of LAN parties and a few companies that didn't bother to check what the IS/IT departments were doing (god knows how many hours I and the rest of my team played games over the company network back then.

Things like Hamachi or the old Battlenet (3rd party program that was named after the Blizzard network) convert and run the IPX packets into TCP/IP so they can work over a WAN connection (in short, over the internet). Games like the original ROTT, Blood, Duke 3D, Heretic, and Hexen (and countless others) from that time period almost always had an IPX option along with direct connect. You should be able to connect to anybody with a service like Hamachi using the IPX option, even in DOSBox. Trying to go old school with direct connect and modems will be much more complex if you have never dealt with it and that would include whomever you are trying to connect too.

If you decide to try modem play, I would recommend a real hardware modem and not the junky Winmodems that flourished in the late 90's. Winmodems have no microcontrollers and are entirely run by the computer (ie the CPU, RAM, and overall speed of the system have huge impacts on performance) and chew up a nice chunk of the systems resources. In all honesty, the direct connect modem option simply isn't worth the time, and effort. You would be far better off with using Kali on a vintage machine (its still out there and still in use), and putting in a NIC instead.

EDIT

By the way, the serial option was for connecting two computers directly to each other via a null modem serial cable and creating a sort of mini lan. it was often the worst option as most games didn't not allow the serial UART to run any faster than 9600bps and that was often a minimum of speed needed to play. Most games at the time were optimized for 33.6k sending. The few games that did allow greater than 9600 at the serial port tended to run like crap because most consumer grade rigs of the time also used a software based serial UART like the Winmodem to save a buck and yet again, it caused the systems resources to be used up on running the port and directing data transfer instead of a full blown (but more costly) hardware based microcontroller. I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding that option at all costs unless you know that your computer and the second one have quality serial UART's.

Oh and a final note, IPX could allow more than two people to play if the game allowed it. The direct connection and serial connection limit the connection to only two computers.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh this brings back memories, I've graduated up all 3!
First was Modem games of mainly C&C or Doom. Me on my DX2/66 with a 33.6 Modem and my mate on a DX4/100 56K modem. I was using the only house phone line, his parents worked form home so had 2 lines, once I took my PC round and used the other line to play next to each other 😜

Then we got a "null modem cable" Think this is when ROTT, and Warcraft2 came in. Copying files across took ages over Laplink Pro, but was still more reliable then sneekernet. Final game we played was Diablo with another mate who had a Pentium 90? Only they both used a serial mouse, so my PC was forced to be the server. Diablo on a 486 wasn't great, serving a 3 player game even less so. That's the only game I'm aware of that allowed more then 2 player over serial cable?

After that we got a NIC each and never looked back. Took about 1/2 day to work out how to get IPX network working in DOS and only the protocol level for games, file sharing was done in Win95.

No help, sorry, just brought back memories 😀

then

Reply 5 of 8, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I was searching for kali, most results were for a linux distro, but I rephrasey search. Its on www.kali.net (go figure) and it costs $20, but I will check out battlenet too.

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I logged into my Kali account a few weeks ago. I still have my 1996 registration email saved. It's pretty dead but there are people on there. I used to play Doom and Descent.

Reply 8 of 8, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, if youre gonna pirate do it on your own time somewhere else.
Anyway, I got a trial of kali and there aren't any people online and i dont see ROTT listed on there.