VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing Raptor for 20 years and i never stumbled into them or i never knew anything about them until today. So as some of you may know, if you launch the game in certain days of the year you'll hear Raptor devs singing the intro music at the beginning and one dev (dev's birthday) trying to do a monkey impression when you exit the game.

So i did a web search and i found some dates:

March 12th - Bobby Prince's birthday;
May 16th - will be different enemies along with the existing ones. These include lizards that walk across the screen and, althogh rare, cows with high power missles. Also, when you exit the whole game, you will hear an odd laughing sound;
October 2th- Jim Molinets birthday;
August 28th - Rich Fleider's birthday;

April 24th seems to be someone's birthday also, but this date isn't documented and i accidently stumbled on it as i decided to launch Raptor today. I knew nothing about this so i was like "WTF is going on here?" 😎

Reply 2 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In the commercial version there are six dates encoded into RAP.EXE at offset 0x37F30
(have to disassemble the 32-bit instructions there for it to make sense):

May 16, 1994
Feb 27, 1996
Oct 02, 1995
Mar 12, 1995
Aug 28, 1995
Apr 24, 1996

You've already mentioned these except for Feb 27 (game says at startup that this is Dave T.'s birthday). Apr 24 is Paul R.'s birthday according to the startup message. The eggs will only go into effect on or after the listed year, and since the game was released in Jan 1994, some of the eggs would take a year or two to start showing up under normal circumstances.

There is also the Easter Egg that causes Battle Cows and Monkeys to appear: on the bottom of the sector selection screen, click the rocker switch multiple times until it turns completely black, then click the three buttons to the right of the switch so their lights turn on. If you do it right, there will be a kind of electrical short sound effect when starting the selected sector.

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ good to know that inside info, Raptor is a beloved classic and unique back then since the good pc shmup choices were so few....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why, but I never liked Raptor... I'd prefer Xenon II Megablast 😉 or other arcade shmups.

I'll try it sometime again but I doubt it will make any difference.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
ripsaw8080 wrote:

There is also the Easter Egg that causes Battle Cows and Monkeys to appear: on the bottom of the sector selection screen, click the rocker switch multiple times until it turns completely black, then click the three buttons to the right of the switch so their lights turn on. If you do it right, there will be a kind of electrical short sound effect when starting the selected sector.

I used to do this a lot with Raptor back in the day, it made the game much more interesting to play for me. Time to fire up DOSBox and have some retro gameplay fun 😊

EDIT - Here are Raptor's sound effects I ripped from one of the data files (FILE0000.GLB) and converted to a single wave file 😁 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2d34v1d1mhajamy/Raptor.wav?dl=0

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

I don't know why, but I never liked Raptor... I'd prefer Xenon II Megablast 😉 or other arcade shmups.

I never liked Raptor that much either... but no way would I prefer Xenon 2 over it - that has horrible controls and repetitive music 😀
Raptor's got a lot of technical merit though. Nice atmosphere and graphics using lookup table effects while having a steady framerate on a 386 system is nice.

FUN FACT: Cygnus gave id Software their Raptor setup program in 1993 for Doom. This lead to some key description and copyright leftovers regarding Raptor in Doom. and that's not the only overlap (Prince of course, but also Paul Radek for the sound system)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Raptor was also one of my favorites (considering I very rarely like any kind of platform/arcade games, makes this almost unique).

I don't know if I remember correctly but after you get ridiculously rich and having everything you can buy, there start to be some absurd and incredibly powerful guns appearing in the store. Like the ones shooting bananas and hamburgers/hotdogs.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both were good, but I much preferred Tyrian to Raptor.

I seem to remember there was another raptor cheat/easter egg where you could set an environment variable to 'CASTLE'?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shareware Raptor came with my 1st PC and was probably the best game pre installed. Its also the first full version game I purchased I think? Definitely top 3.
I worked out the toggle switch thing after starting it on someone's birthday. The combination changes depending on what version you have the Apogee FAQ goes into more detail http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.3.2.shtml
it doesn't mention 24 April though and while I did recognise the installer in Doom cool to know Raptor was the first.

Think its Tyrian that has the banana guns, Raptor definitely doesn't.
Completely forgot about the castle variable but your right!
http://messui.the-chronicles.org/cheats/325.txt

And Yes as soon as I saw this I fired up that same PC I got all those years ago and am now playing Raptor, only difference is the screen and now have a SC55 for music 😀