VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few of you may have noticed the new internet archive site at archive.org.
Yet another site that has succumb to the disaster of modern web design.

Minimalist yet somehow heavily bloated user interface and worse yet: bloody awful infinite scroll.

Honestly, who ever thought infinite scroll is a good idea must be brain dead. I hate it with passion.
For one thing, it's easy to get lost in the page. You scroll down and the scroll bar gets bigger. Great.
Good luck finding anything in the page as it is constantly changing. Not to mention unlike pages,
you can't directly link to a certain "page" with infinite scroll. And it borks the back button too.

Not to mention requiring JS and a modern browser.
I don't believe for a second that infinite scroll is a good idea even for mobile devices. Give me a big next and prev button to tap any day.

What an abomination modern sites are. I would expect better from the archive though.

Reply 1 of 44, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the title I got scared that it's shutting down 😀

One thing I can confirm about this site is that I always had trouble navigating and finding what I want. Even before reading your post I had this opinion, not sure though if I'm the one to blame or the design.

Reply 2 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

What an abomination modern sites are

You have not seen an abomination till you have seen what google did to the dejanews archive.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 3 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think infinite scroll has it's place - we're finally moving away from copying print media layouts and it's about bloody time. Everything in moderation though, if a site's purpose is delivering structured content then obviously people will want to find sections easily and link to certain pages

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I think infinite scroll has it's place - we're finally moving away from copying print media layouts and it's about bloody time. Everything in moderation though, if a site's purpose is delivering structured content then obviously people will want to find sections easily and link to certain pages

For returning back to where you were, infinite scroll fails miserably. I don't think I have ever seen a place where I have liked it.

Reply 5 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I'm not a huge fan of infinite scroll, the new layout isn't honestly that bad - all of the text is searchable, so you can simply ctrl+F to whatever you want as long as it's on-screen (e.g. "finding your way back"). That said, the whole thing is a jumble - it's likely sorting things by "relevance" or "popularity" instead of something more ordered like alphabetical, size, or age sorting.

Just for fun, I tried it in Opera 12.17 (which is really not all that modern) with JScript disabled - it reverts to a paged layout showing textual summaries of each collection (same list order). This layout is actually much cleaner than the previous design, imho, and lends itself to clean viewing on my 900x1440 display (infinite scroll works there too, of course).

Reply 6 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're merely presenting static information to the user, you can't possibly justify going beyond html 3.2; it is sufficient, and everything else vanity.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 7 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lo Wang wrote:

If you're merely presenting static information to the user, you can't possibly justify going beyond html 3.2; it is sufficient, and everything else vanity.

You'd get no objections from me on that - simple is often fast. 😀

Reply 8 of 44, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I think infinite scroll has it's place - we're finally moving away from copying print media layouts and it's about bloody time.

Yeah - because copying the "medieval rolled-up parchment on a stick" layout is infinitely better, and not a regression at all. 🤣

This style of UI may be a nice shiny polish on top of turds like the Xbox One or Pinterest and whatnot, but on a site whose purpose is to organize information in a meaningful way, it's inexcusably brain-dead.

I could make a comprehensive list of all the ways in which this terrible hideousness breaks just about every single aspect of usability, but I've already done that on archive.org's feedback form. Considering how they're probably using the feedback they get, I hope they print it on really delicate toilet paper. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 9 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every one of these threads needs this image...

a7U0DNp.png

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10 of 44, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lo Wang wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

What an abomination modern sites are

You have not seen an abomination till you have seen what google did to the dejanews archive.

Agreed with every fiber in my being.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 44, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Every one of these threads needs this image... […]
Show full quote

a7U0DNp.png

I <3 that image so much. Totally made my month the day it was posted.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 44, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Skyscraper wrote:
Every one of these threads needs this image... […]
Show full quote

a7U0DNp.png

Great, El Diablo de los 7,000 Cachos makes a comeback >_< 😵

And VileRancour definitely deserves credit for creating this image 😁

As for archive.org, they deserve everything that's coming their way now 😐

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 13 of 44, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

A few of you may have noticed the new internet archive site at archive.org.
Yet another site that has succumb to the disaster of modern web design..

Nooooooooooooooo!

This news has made me sad. I thoroughly despise the modern web page design layout and implementation..

In my opinion, the mid 2000's was the best period. Websites were usable enough on older browsers and systems, had all you needed, being text and pictures and maybe video. And that was that. I actually miss flash animations.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 14 of 44, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't like to browse the web using machines with old OS because it is a pain in the rear.

Archive.org tends to be buggy even on current OS/browsers but its better then nothing.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there needs to be a greasemonkey script or local proxy to deal with this, and also their wayback (stripping out the timeline and their other javascript things so it doesn't break elements like frames, and date range restricted browsing so no slipping into a decade later)

Stiletto wrote:

Would need a slight update to make it all one linear column, with the menu choices at the top moved into a 'burger' that pops out through the side. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I think there needs to be a greasemonkey script or local proxy to deal with this, and also their wayback (stripping out the timeline and their other javascript things so it doesn't break elements like frames, and date range restricted browsing so no slipping into a decade later)

Stiletto wrote:

Would need a slight update to make it all one linear column, with the menu choices at the top moved into a 'burger' that pops out through the side. 😀

Don't forget huge column bars of empty of space. Or maybe with a gaudy background.
I am completely puzzled why basically all monitors are going wide screen yet web sites are now only using narrow columns in the middle
of the screen. I can understand mobile users often view stuff in portrait but there should be more efficient use of screen space
when viewed on a landscape device.

Reply 17 of 44, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or a top bar that drops down as you scroll past the first paragraph, covering a good 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen. Let's also not forget the ubiquitous stationary social networking bar. Add in a popover iframe that demands you start clicking things before you can finish reading the first page.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 44, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, plus icons should have no text whatsoever next to them, and every option must be hidden behind as many unnecessary clicks as possible. Also, I didn't make it blinding enough - light grey on bright white is clearly the wave of the future.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 19 of 44, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thing is, the old archive.org interface wasn't exactly the pinnacle of design perfection either. It was impossible to navigate and usually I had to search with the "collection:" option to find everything in a section of the site. There is tons of good information there, but the organization is one giant mess.