VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

Thing is, the old archive.org interface wasn't exactly the pinnacle of design perfection either. It was impossible to navigate and usually I had to search with the "collection:" option to find everything in a section of the site. There is tons of good information there, but the organization is one giant mess.

I am well aware. It wasn't very good before but it is worse now!

Reply 21 of 44, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Every one of these threads needs this image... […]
Show full quote

Every one of these threads needs this image...

a7U0DNp.png

I <3 that image so much. Totally made my month the day it was posted.

Just one day, one day I hope the mods here on Vogons will troll everyone and roll out a similar version of the forum. Would be the most epic april fools day joke!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 44, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
vetz wrote:
Stiletto wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Every one of these threads needs this image... […]
Show full quote

Every one of these threads needs this image...

a7U0DNp.png

I <3 that image so much. Totally made my month the day it was posted.

Just one day, one day I hope the mods here on Vogons will troll everyone and roll out a similar version of the forum. Would be the most epic april fools day joke!

Don't give them any ideas! >_<

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 23 of 44, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

I think infinite scroll has it's place - we're finally moving away from copying print media layouts and it's about bloody time.

Infinite scroll is horrible. Just try to get to the earliest posts on a 4-year old blog with infinite scroll where the owner makes about 10 posts a day. I guarantee that your browser will crash before you get anywhere near the beginning.

Which means that effectively the oldest posts are no longer accessible because nobody can load a web site that's 4,000 pages long with 50,000 images. Not to mention how long it would take you to load that many pages even if you could do it without crashing the browser.

Reply 24 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:

Infinite scroll is horrible. Just try to get to the earliest posts on a 4-year old blog with infinite scroll where the owner makes about 10 posts a day. I guarantee that your browser will crash before you get anywhere near the beginning.

Which means that effectively the oldest posts are no longer accessible because nobody can load a web site that's 4,000 pages long with 50,000 images. Not to mention how long it would take you to load that many pages even if you could do it without crashing the browser.

As I said, it has its place. The situation you described isn't it. I'm sitting at work as we speak re-doing our company website, and we have a lot of older customers who can't find the prominently positioned client login, let alone something that's off the screen, so again, infinite scroll isn't appropriate.

Personally I'm more annoyed that in this day and age I'm still being presented with website search functionality that finds either zero results, or pages of irrelevant tosh. Why include a search if it doesn't work?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And even that's preferable to websites using google to search themselves. I completely detest such an utterly reckless dependence.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 26 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

As I said, it has its place. The situation you described isn't it. I'm sitting at work as we speak re-doing our company website, and we have a lot of older customers who can't find the prominently positioned client login, let alone something that's off the screen, so again, infinite scroll isn't appropriate.

Personally I'm more annoyed that in this day and age I'm still being presented with website search functionality that finds either zero results, or pages of irrelevant tosh. Why include a search if it doesn't work?

I have yet to see a site where infinite scroll was decent. I hate broken searches too.

Reply 27 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Bill Gate's blog is a good implementation. There's a sort / filter option if you want it, or you can just scroll to your heart's content. If you're not looking for something specific, then I don't see the point of paginating it all.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/All

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 28 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a good filter option: 0.0.0.0 *.gatesnotes.com

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 29 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I think Bill Gate's blog is a good implementation. There's a sort / filter option if you want it, or you can just scroll to your heart's content. If you're not looking for something specific, then I don't see the point of paginating it all.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/All

Sorry but that is bloody awful

Reply 32 of 44, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think a lot of the current styles suffer from emphasis placed on designs for handheld devices. Infinite scroll is easier on a smaller handheld than trying to hit a small link to the next page. Scrolling forever with the mouse wheel is not so nice for the finger.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 33 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't help Mozilla browsers post-australis totally ufck up the middle-click scroll feature which uses less finger movement than the wheel, and on some of these infinite scrolling sites, the arrow keys aren't even an option (i.e. Twitter)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Just because it's the current trend doesn't mean it isn't a usability disaster.

I'd actually be surprised to see something trendy not be a usability disaster.

Reply 35 of 44, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

Just because it's the current trend doesn't mean it isn't a usability disaster.

Those who assign value to "going with the flow" shouldn't be surprised when they end up in a sewer. 😉 If they enjoy the warmth and squishiness, good for them, but chastising others when they point out the stench - now that's just silly.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 36 of 44, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I feel people get a bit carried away with their nostalgia.

New things can be good.

You not liking something doesn't make it bad in any objective sense.

That a technology meshes with your usage patterns and habits doesn't make it better in any objective sense.

The smug derision doesn't help, either:

Those who assign value to "going with the flow" shouldn't be surprised when they end up in a sewer. 😉 If they enjoy the warmth and squishiness, good for them, but chastising others when they point out the stench - now that's just silly.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 37 of 44, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I myself remember some pretty irritating web design trends from late 90's so I don't think this has anything to do specifically with old geezers ranting and cursing modernity.

What's garbage is garbage regardless of time period, and likewise the good things, and this just happens to be one of those garbage trends.

Reply 38 of 44, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

The smug derision doesn't help, either

I'd say it's entirely appropriate, since it was prompted by how that line of conversation began:

badmojo wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Sorry but that is bloody awful

Apology accepted, we can't all move with the times.

...if you don't see how that's the mother of all smug derisions, your reading must be rather selective. When someone dishes this out, a response in kind should be expected.

It goes without saying that 'new things can be good' (in the context of web technology, I could mention CSS selectors, webfonts, the ability to create interactive and portable web-based applications, the decreased dependence on Flash, and so on). The debate here was never about technology or about new vs. old, but about design trends. In fact, only one person here has placed any kind of value on something *purely* because of its position on the timeline, and that's the one guy who seems to like this particular trend; so I don't know where you're pulling these strawmen from.

I could list a whole host of points explaining why this usage of infinite scroll is inherently bad (with slightly better reasoning than a non-elaborated "it has its place", or "get with the program bro, everyone's doing it"). I have done so elsewhere. Others have done so here. But it doesn't matter, because people here insist on talking past each other, so I'd only be preaching to the converted.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 39 of 44, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I myself remember some pretty irritating web design trends from late 90's so I don't think this has anything to do specifically with old geezers ranting and cursing modernity.

What's garbage is garbage regardless of time period, and likewise the good things, and this just happens to be one of those garbage trends.

I agree 100%
It's garbage. Not because it is the trend but because it harms usability. Even on my smartphone I hate infinite scroll.

It goes without saying that 'new things can be good' (in the context of web technology, I could mention CSS selectors, webfonts, the ability to create interactive and portable web-based applications, the decreased dependence on Flash, and so on). The debate here was never about technology or about new vs. old, but about design trends. In fact, only one person here has placed any kind of value on something *purely* because of its position on the timeline, and that's the one guy who seems to like this particular trend; so I don't know where you're pulling these strawmen from.

I could list a whole host of points explaining why this usage of infinite scroll is inherently bad (with slightly better reasoning than a non-elaborated "it has its place", or "get with the program bro, everyone's doing it"). I have done so elsewhere. Others have done so here. But it doesn't matter, because people here insist on talking past each other, so I'd only be preaching to the converted.

I agree with this too. We have had positive improvements (although I still think sites should keep a fallback for older browsers/machines)
HTML5 and WebGL are just 2 examples of many improvements. Infinite scroll is anything but