VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 upgrade plans?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 76, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Win7 already exited mainstream support (as of January this year), and moved to extended support, for 5 more years. This means - no new features, only fixes. I doubt they are going to move it back into mainstream support phase, once it left it, but they may end up prolonging the extended support, if necessary.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 44 of 76, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...this is literally something you can do from Windows Update.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 45 of 76, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the moment you get an annoying windows logo in your system tray to let you "reserve your copy"
That said I would have missed it if it didn't pop up there so I am glad that it showed up, just wish it would go away until they allow you to download it. Now opening it just shows the same screen.

Reply 46 of 76, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 2 machines, each booting to 7, 8, 10 (preview) and XP with the default on each being Windows 7.
I'll upgrade each Windows 8 installation, but from what I've seen of 10 so far and the general dumbing down approach by Microsoft, Windows 7 will remain my default.
I have no problem doing the free upgrade of 8 since I always loathed it and in my opinion, 10 is only marginally more user friendly, for the most part due to the Start Menu.
The only benefits that I see for 10 are speed and DX12.
Also, when upgrading Windows 8, I'll be temporarily disconnecting the other drives whilst it upgrades.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 47 of 76, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't complain about a free upgrade 😀

What I wonder though, is, will I be able to do a clean install? Boot of DVD / USB, format the drive and do a clean install?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 48 of 76, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

What I wonder though, is, will I be able to do a clean install? Boot of DVD / USB, format the drive and do a clean install?

This is my big show-stopper as well. I'm not real keen on doing an in-place upgrade. If MS insists on an in-place & over-the-network upgrade, I'll probably pass on it for myself.

I hope they'll be making an ISO available for download via bittorrent. Why wouldn't they?

Reply 49 of 76, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope they'll be making an ISO available for download via bittorrent. Why wouldn't they?

I'm pretty sure someone will share the MSDN ISOs. That's how I upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. You just needed to edit some inf so that it doesn't ask you for you key during installation.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 50 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

This is my big show-stopper as well. I'm not real keen on doing an in-place upgrade. If MS insists on an in-place & over-the-network upgrade, I'll probably pass on it for myself.

They wouldn't because it's not going to be a free upgrade forever and there are some users who won't be eligible for the free upgrade offer at all.

Reply 56 of 76, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

DirectX is new now?

Well, unless you know a way on how to install DirectX 12 on previous Windows operational systems.

There's no way to install DX10/11 on previous operating systems. There's no way to install DX9 on previous operating systems.

I'm missing the new part still.

Reply 57 of 76, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

They wouldn't because it's not going to be a free upgrade forever and there are some users who won't be eligible for the free upgrade offer at all.

Microsoft ISOs have been available for free download for all of their current operating systems. I can't see a single reason why it would be different for the final Win10 release. Although it does appear that at least some of the previously available "official" ISO images are no longer available.

It's not the availability of the installation media that determines whether your version is licensed/legal. It's the validity of your key.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 58 of 76, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been testing the latest Insider Preview builds as they drop, and I just can't get excited about this new version of Windoze.

I despise the idea of connecting my hotmail account to my underlying OS. When you don't - everything looks broken.

All the metro apps have no advanced settings and look very Fisher Price.

Also, I'm part of the 1% that uses Window Media Center with HDTV tuners are really likes it.

Microsoft seems really determined to upgrade everyone - for free in most cases {puts on tinfoil hat}

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 59 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:
I've been testing the latest Insider Preview builds as they drop, and I just can't get excited about this new version of Windoze […]
Show full quote

I've been testing the latest Insider Preview builds as they drop, and I just can't get excited about this new version of Windoze.

I despise the idea of connecting my hotmail account to my underlying OS. When you don't - everything looks broken.

All the metro apps have no advanced settings and look very Fisher Price.

Also, I'm part of the 1% that uses Window Media Center with HDTV tuners are really likes it.

Microsoft seems really determined to upgrade everyone - for free in most cases {puts on tinfoil hat}

1. What's broken? I don't used the tied account and everything I use works fine.
2. Don't use them? I don't.
3. Use XBMC or alternatives. Much better.

You shouldn't be excited about a OS upgrade. It's an OS. It's for getting things done.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline