VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After two very busy years in that place we call "real life" I am happy to announce that a new version of the mTCP TCP/IP programs for DOS is available!

Some of the more notable improvements and changes are:

• Incredible new format for documentation featuring things like boldfacing and italics ... (PDF!)
  • New program: HTTPServ, a web server than will run well on your oldest PCs
  • New program: PktTool for querying packet drivers and tracing packets on your network
  • Detection of IP address conflicts
  • Telnet: 132 column support and proper handling of the TCP socket when closing the session
  • FTP client: mdelete support, removed some filename/path length restrictions, and new code to work around misconfigured FTP servers.
  • FTP server: the log file is now optional
  • Several small TCP/IP library fixes
  • Bug fixes or small improvements in every program ... too numerous to enumerate.

The packaging for this version is a little different. There are three files:

• A zip containing the binaries and sample files
  • A zip containing UPX compressed binaries and sample files. Use this for you machines without hard drives; everything works the same, but they take up less space.
  • A PDF file with the new, consolidated documentation

And if you get a spare moment, I'd like to start collecting packet drivers to make them available in a central place. If you are so inclined, please send me your network card model number, the packet driver you use, and any installation files and utilities for the Ethernet card. (Diskette images work great for this kind of thing.) I'll try to make a sensible page with what I collect so that others can stop flailing around looking for this stuff.

Everything can be found at http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Enjoy!
Mike

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent!!! Thanks for the amazing work and continuing support for mTCP 😀
Will look what I have in terms of drivers , maybe something worths the time to send (ie not the package you can get from realtek for example)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, and thanks ... I've been trying to get this update pushed out since April but real life and little changes kept getting in the way. I finally found a good block of time to update the web pages and get everything packaged up.

I suspect it is getting difficult for people to get too excited about a new release; I've been doing this since 2008 or 2009 now. I started writing code in late 2005 so it is nearly 10 years old now. I need to think of something spectacular for the next version.

If you have packet drivers and installation media for Ethernet cards please send them along to me at mbbrutman at gmail dot com. Encrypted ZIP files with simple passwords will get past any email filters. Google Drive or any other file sharing service that does not subject me to spam work well too.

Mike

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mbbrutman wrote:

I suspect it is getting difficult for people to get too excited about a new release; I've been doing this since 2008 or 2009 now. I started writing code in late 2005 so it is nearly 10 years old now. I need to think of something spectacular for the next version.

As it is, it does become tempting to start experimenting with mTCP and DOS LAN. 😀 Though it won't be until a month or two before can unpack and set up my retro hardware again.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 6, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to have SSH but I'm not able to spend the time to port or recreate all of the libraries needed to do it. With 32 bit code you can borrow a lot from Linux, but with 16 bit code you basically wind up doing everything yourself.

We need more programmers ...