VOGONS

Common searches

Anyone else dislike multiplayer? No, just me?

Topic actions

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

9bf5eed439f74290e2153ef4bbbd9ecc158ac2061ab46cd9fea467b23d7606d6.jpg

When I talk shop with other gamers in real life, we always seem to hit this little snag. They'll ask me about multiplayer gaming, and I have to patiently explain how I only play single player games and don't like playing against other people. They then look at me like I'm from Mars and that's usually the end of the conversation. (God forbid I have to explain my retrocomputing hobby - nobody gets that one.)

So apparently I'm on a completely different page than most gamers. Why is that? I don't think it's a simple introvert / extrovert thing - I think we approach gaming from fundamentally different perspectives. For example, a friend once asked me what my favorite games were. I told him Doom, Quake, Far-Cry, etc., and he said "Oh, cool, are you good at those games?" He might as well have asked me what my favorite movies were and if I was good at watching them.

For me, gaming isn't a competitive thing. It's not about skills or achievements or domination. It's about getting completely immersed in the game world and enjoying it for what it is. If other people appear in the game world and start doing all the stupid crap that competitive players do, it breaks my suspension of disbelief and ruins the experience.

Anyone else feel the same way?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 68, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends.

I really hate what the Quakes have transformed into: a 'look at this winner!' pro-gaming circlejerk where any texture detail beyond 8x8 is considered obscenity, as well as autokicking 'pub noobs'.... and the scenes are so divided and dead they still wonder why no one wants to play with them. That and there's zero interest in gameplay mods or maps beyond their decadeplus-old mappack lists

I used to be big into multiplayer until "pro-winner entitlement" culture really took over my favorite games, to the point they'll DDOS you if you aren't the one they want winning, or some other stupid reason, some even personally prejudiced.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 68, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

You're not the only one maximus.

I dislike multiplayer as well, to the point that I will not buy multiplayer only PC games regardless of how popular or recommended they are; Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament '99 are two examples. I also got the same reaction from others that asked me the same question and even butted heads a few times because of it (and before anyone mentions this, single player mode for Q3A and UT99 is just a constant deathmatch with bots which I don't find appealing either). Any PC game must have a real, honest-to-goodness single player gameplay for me to show any interest; otherwise I just ignore it.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 68, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I prefer games to first be single player and then maybe be capable of LAN play or internet play. Don't get me wrong though I've had plenty of fun ruining peoples days in Ace of Spades (To the point of getting kicked for single handedly owning the other team too much). 🤣

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2015-07-07, 06:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 68, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

It depends.

I really hate what the Quakes have transformed into: a 'look at this winner!' pro-gaming circlejerk where any texture detail beyond 8x8 is considered obscenity, as well as autokicking 'pub noobs'.... and the scenes are so divided and dead they still wonder why no one wants to play with them. That and there's zero interest in gameplay mods or maps beyond their decadeplus-old mappack lists

I used to be big into multiplayer until "pro-winner entitlement" culture really took over my favorite games, to the point they'll DDOS you if you aren't the one they want winning, or some other stupid reason, some even personally prejudiced.

New Quake sucks. I liked fighting monsters or demons or whatever. Not so much human players.
But there are other games that I do enjoy the multiplayer aspect -- when I am in the mood.

Reply 5 of 68, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I too only play single player. I wouldn't say I'm actively against multiplayer, it just never appealed to me. But neither did I ever feel that I had to or was expected to patiently explain my preference to anyone or justify it. If it ever comes up - I just say "I don't play it". "-Why?" "-Does not interest me".

I think it depends a lot on your age and surroundings. I guess if you're a teenager and it's all about the latest Call of Duty, Battlefield, Skyrim, etc - then you may come across as weird if you avoid all these.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 68, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't like multiplayer games except for teambased ones against the computer. Multiplayer is so extremely hard to master, always someone who is better than you and have more time available. I hate that, I need to get the feeling I'm mastering it when playing.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 68, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I like to play games to experience a story. Other players mess with my immersion. And 3D shooters is fun for five minutes and then I'm out.
MMORPGs mostly don't have a story or rather no story beyond setting the scene. Not interested...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I love multi-player. I don't really miss the old multi-player games, but embrace the modern was. Battlefield 4, Black Ops 2, you name it, I love them. I sometimes play the single player campaign to get familiar with the controls, but with Battlefield 4 I actually haven't played the campaign yet.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-07-07, 08:13. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 68, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Count me in. I did not play any online multiplayer games since 1996-1997 (Quake). I did like occasional LAN parties, both cooperative and (much so) deathmatch, but that was long ago, during the good old times of Doom / Doom II and Duke Nukem. I was young, single and student at that times and there were always home mates and the extended tribe to play with.

For nearly two decades, I'm going single player only, and don't have much to do with anything purposefully designed against single playing. I remember my huge disappointment with Quake III, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, and Star Wars Battlefield games, when I realize that their single player mods were just some tasteless multiplayer-against-computer contraption.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 68, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't enjoy highly competitive games, I dislike it when people get pissed off and frustrated over gameplay. So I try and stick with single player/co-op multiplayer games only.
Sometimes it's fun to jump into TF2 and the like, but only once in a great while.

Reply 12 of 68, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

I think it depends a lot on your age and surroundings. I guess if you're a teenager and it's all about the latest Call of Duty, Battlefield, Skyrim, etc - then you may come across as weird if you avoid all these.

Skyrim is not a multiplayer FPS game series like CoD/Battlefield, if you didn't know. It's a very large single-player exclusive game. 😊 (and I'm not trying to "stir up" anything here - it just seemed to stand out against CoD/Battlefield)

Anyways, I mostly agree with maximus and leileilol - I used to play a lot of multiplayer RTS games, but when that turned into the "pro-winner" thing it became less fun in my opinion. Thankfully RTS games tend to have large single-player campaigns (at least, all of the RTS games I own do - perhaps there are some that don't), and single-player "sandbox" also offers further replay value in many of them.

I will qualify, though, that I do enjoy games with good co-operative gameplay modes (which are few and far between) - if the game is good it's usually a lot of fun to play through with a friend (or 2) as well. Project Eden is a good example of this in practice.

Reply 13 of 68, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also dislike multiplayer-online games, with exceptions.

But what I dislike more, is the FPS genre. What's the meaning in killing thousands of people/"things"? To me, it seems totally pointless.

Last edited by GeorgeMan on 2015-07-07, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 14 of 68, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends. On a LAN, where I play against humans I know, sitting in the same room - yes, that's fun.

Over the internet? No. Never got into it. I don't even own a headset.

So, I do enjoy single player games more, with the exception of the occasional LAN party.

Reply 15 of 68, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not on Facebook. I'm not Linked In. I definitely don't tweet.

I don't play games to be around people - I play them to get away from people.

I am not a "social" person.

I purchased Guns of Icarus over two years ago because TB's review of it was so awesome.
I have yet to play it.

When I'm being immersed in a nice, deep story (Thanks, Dominus), I don't want to entertain somebody else' foul-mouthed children. My own mouth is already foul enough, thankyaverymuch.

I sometimes think that VOGONS should come up with some way for adults to meet up with other adults who want to do some legacy multiplayer, but I have no idea how it could be implemented. We all have such diverse tastes and interests that it might be difficult to make any matches anyway.

Reply 16 of 68, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never been a competitive person in fact I'd classify my self as anti competitive and unlike Carmack I like story in my games. 😉

Most time and fun I ever spent multiplayer gaming was BBS, LAN and modem games and also split screen or taking turns on a console.

Does anyone else remember waiting their turn while playing Mario and pressing the same buttons on the controller even though you weren't playing?

I toyed with Second Life for a couple of hours but it just was yet another chat room without the joy of no graphics.

I stayed away from Diablo 3 for years due to the online requirement but finally decided to break down and play it. The online requirement sucked especially when it didn't work, the game did and did not feel like Diablo and I didn't like Diablo 2 much anyway compared to Diablo 1.

Recently tried GTA Online but again didn't see much of a point to it.

I think I could tolerate a online game as long as it let you play singleplayer (and it was stable) and let you remove or ignore the human elements when wanted like a /ignore or something.

Star Citizen I may give a go when it comes out since it gives me a Tradewars vibe and it's designed strictly for the PC which is a rarity.

Also voice chat sucks.

Now get off my lawn.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 68, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Count me in. I did not play any online multiplayer games since 1996-1997 (Quake). I did like occasional LAN parties, both cooperative and (much so) deathmatch, but that was long ago, during the good old times of Doom / Doom II and Duke Nukem. I was young, single and student at that times and there were always home mates and the extended tribe to play with...

I have a similar background - as a teenager in the '90s I found the prospect of multiplayer games with friends really exciting - I remember us hooking up two machines with Null Modem cables and playing Doom or Duke3d against each other. Then when we started having modems we would attempt to play over 28.8k (and end up with a huge phone bill!)... There was also this old tank game called "Fire Power" which was great fun in two player mode.

Fast forward a few years... I'm buying a copy of Quake III Arena, having enjoyed all the previous Doom and Quake episodes. I remember going through the single player campaign very quickly and thinking... "is that it?? I might as well try it in multiplayer then." Next thing I know I'm playing all night long against people I don't even know over DSL... and when I go to bed I still have visions of RPGs and BFGs. I did that for a few months before realising it was way too addictive - since then I never played another online game and absolutely do not care for them now.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 18 of 68, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my most satisfying gaming experiences was during multiplayer. I was playing coop ARMA 3 and basically i was flying the A-164 Wipeout (futuristic A-10 Warthog) as close air support and keeping my mates on the ground alive. Doing CAS and spotting enemy troop movements, including infantry and enemy soft and armored vehicles, while keeping an eye for MANPADS was a blast. It demanded a level of concentration and dedication i never experienced in any other game before, single player or multiplayer.

That said i love single-player too and that's what i mostly play, but from time to time i also can enjoy multiplayer as well.

Reply 19 of 68, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If Lotus 3 split screen or One Must Fall vs a friend counts as multiplayer...
Otherwise multiplayer or online only games are not my thing.