Common searches

Abuse (Crack dot Com) releases

Topic actions

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crack dot Com released several shareware versions of Abuse before it was published by ORIGIN/EA. The most widely known ones appear to be DOS v0.33 beta, v1.05 and v2.00 (ORIGIN/EA version), all of which are available here among other places. However, it seems that other versions exist, although their availability is somewhat unclear.

Google Groups have preserved a message posted by Jonathan Clark on Aug 28, 1995 in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games announcing the release of Abuse beta 0.31 (identified as 0.32 in the file names) for Linux and SGI IRIX:

Jonathan Clark wrote:
A beta of Crack dot Com's Abuse is now available for […]
Show full quote

A beta of Crack dot Com's Abuse is now available for

Linux console
Linux X11 (release 6)

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/linux-abuse.0.3.2.tar.gz
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/games/incoming/linux-abuse.0.3.2.tar.gz

and

IRIX 5.3+

ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/games/incoming/sgi-abuse.0.3.2.tar.gz

please report bugs to abuse...@crack.com

Dos beta should be out August 31 if things go according to plan, it
will be placed at the same location. [source]

DOS beta 0.33 was indeed published on Aug 31, 1995. The archive contains a changelog with changes from v0.32, however it is unclear whether this suggests an earlier DOS release or the log reflected changes to the programme on all platforms. Later DOS releases (v1.05 and v2.00) do not include changelogs, but Linux and IRIX releases do. These logs contain entries for versions 0.34, 0.35, 0.36, 1.0, 1.05, 1.06 and 1.10. Out of these, changes affecting the DOS version are specifically mentioned for versions 0.34, 0.36 and 1.06. However, there is no indication whether those releases were actually public and not internal builds.

Mike Perry's FAQ v1.1.0 (abuse.txt) suggests that at least v0.34 was available to the users:

Mike Perry wrote:

In revisions 0.34 and greater the foreground and background palettes default
to one tile wide so you will not experience this situation.

Mike Perry wrote:

This bug has been fixed and the level backup feature now works correctly
in revisions 0.34 and greater.

On top of that, the tech support page at the ORIGIN website (Wayback Machine copy) mentions the following versions:

Abuse CD (v2.00)
Abuse Demo (v1.31, & v2.00)
Abuse Shareware (v1.00)

Additionally, the file ENGLISH.LSP found in shareware demo v2.00 makes mention of the following versions:

;; Latest version of this file is "V-E"  (version E=1.47)
<...>
/********** New for Version E (1.51) **************/
<...>
/********** New for Version D (1.46) **************/
<...>
/*********** New for Version 1.45 ***********************/

Also versions V-C and V-A are mentioned in the comments, although without version numbers.

To sum up, the following shareware versions of the game are currently known (no link means file name known but no download available):

I wonder if any other versions are available anywhere?

Last edited by MrFlibble on 2015-12-17, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The alien plot was replaced with the genetic experiments plot in the version published by ORIGIN/EA. Aliens are mentioned in versions up to 1.10. Version 0.33 does not have any opening crawl.

Reply 3 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So? No one have any rare versions of the game?

What I forgot to mention in the first post is that DOS v1.0 can be found on several magazine cover CDs in unpacked form:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.php?n=36 … osgames$2FAbuse
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.php?n=30 … 1&f=$2FProg0105
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.php?n=15 … $2FDema$2FAbuse [wrong date stamps]

This version already has the Pong demo add-on.

All versions prior to v2.00 are capable of running both the game and the built-in editor in high resolutions:
DXQCKFq.png

The high-res mode is restricted to editor only in the full game, as it obviously affects gameplay by making a greater portion of the level visible to the player. However, there's also a double pixels high-res mode:
lVVjQpP.png
It doesn't use the correct aspect ratio but it's still a nice feature. To enable this mode, the game needs to be launched with the following parameters:

-2 -size 640 480

On another note, here's a fan site preserved by the Wayback Machine which has some user-made levels and add-ons for the game (among other things):
http://games.3dreview.com/abuse/index.html

Some of the levels are compatible with the shareware version. Crack dot Com actually encouraged the players to create and distribute levels for the shareware version and to submit them for evaluation and possible publication at Crack dot Com.

Reply 4 of 34, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to play it on my N800 often - that was a Linux version of some sort.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 5 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, abuse2.com had an unofficial port of the v2.00 demo to Linux: linux_abuse_v2.tgz

A Mac demo is available here. It's still the four-level version (unlike the EA/ORIGIN DOS demo which only has three levels plus the tutorial).

Does anyone know when the registered version 1.0 (the one available directly from Crack dot Com) was released? The date stamp on the shareware executable v1.0 is from Sep 16, 1995, but I'm not sure if the shareware version numbers coincide with the registered releases.

UPD: This message suggests that the registered Linux version was available since Oct 1995.

Reply 6 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS shareware v1.01 was found recently in zipped form among new CDs submitted to Hallfiry's collection:
http://kultcds.com/Catalog/index.php?n=-2&ext … ax=2359948&o=da

Download: ABUSE101.ZIP

Reply 7 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I really liked this game 😉
There was once a release by who-knows-who for iOS.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, I have a boxed copy that I bought back when the game was new, some 1x version on CDROM IIRC

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 34, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this game appears to be the defacto way to benchmark an operating system ability to support video games. It's the Lenna of video games.

Reply 12 of 34, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about Tetris? Doom has ports on a lot of systems, but Tetris has clones on EVERY system.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 13 of 34, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetris such like Abuse used 2d tile to render the view. Doom use kind of 3d that somewhat work at places. Doom have not that honor, on my 60" screen at 320x200 it look confusing at best. Stuff like SnowBerry doom was juste awesome.

Reply 14 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've long wondered, what's the definitive version of this game?

I think there's the initial CD release of the game which still uses the alien invasion/occupation plot. It sure is quite a cliche, but it's makes a lot more sense than the prison scenario that replaced the earlier story in the EA version.

I'm not sure if the original registered version included music? Shareware v1.05 still does not have it, and it seems to me that it was released after the CD version (not sure). There's also the issue that none of the versions seem to record your settings for sound/music volume.

What I love about this game is that from the first shareware releases, the developers included the level editor and allowed the users to freely distribute custom levels for the shareware version. There was even a level design contest, with the possibility of user-made levels making it into the full game (I'm not sure if this ever happened though). There exist several levels which were made for the very first DOS shareware version (v0.33), some are available here.

Of course, when the publishing rights went to EA, the disabled the editor in their demo version, and also removed one of the shareware levels to make it shorter. The demo is still capable of loading custom levels and mods though.

Abuse also allows for some very extensive modding, as exemplified by the Pong demo game which was included with shareware v1.01 and v1.05. A while ago I found a website of Steven Chan a.k.a. Sprite, who had released some add-on levels for the game, and also apparently created mods, as shown on his page:

I started my game-developing passion around June/July 1996, when I tinkered around in Crack dot Com's game Abuse, which I bought […]
Show full quote

I started my game-developing passion around June/July 1996, when I tinkered around in Crack dot Com's game Abuse, which I bought because there weren't any better platform games at that time. I was peeping around in the directories, when I hit something called "Lisp" files. (Lisp, in this case, is a programming language that actually means List something something ... Maybe processing?) I made my very first game, it was called "Shootout". I made it under IRQ Design. Then I went on and created oh-so-crappy (but NOT crappy for me at the time) games in Abuse like Bash, Deviator, and ... uh... something else. More and more I wished it could be advanced, because Abuse was nice, had lighting effects, but was limited in necessary things.
shoot.gif

Reply 16 of 34, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no abuse-frabs on debian sarge, I've try the .deb, change the source.list to etch, there is no way I can get my wife to get an orgasm, I mean, to have abuse on debian sarge!

Reply 17 of 34, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just read at Lord Soth's that Crack dot Com had released a preview screenshot pack with 10 images in PCX format. The file name was ABUSEPC2.ZIP.

I haven't managed to track it down yet but Google Groups has an archived message from Dave Taylor dated 17 June 1995 which mentions these:

Screen Shots :

sshot1.pcx 800x600 - an example of what the game looks like in hi-rez
(very nice!) will probably require a pentium to
play hi-rez at a decent frame-rate.
sshot2.pcx 320x200 - an action scene, not so pretty.. (don't use :)).
sshot3.pcx 640x480 - development tools and 18 zillion windows.
This level editor comes free with the game..
players can make their own levels.
sshot4.pcx 320x200 - a scene with lighting and aliens.
sshot5.pcx 640x480 - what sshot4.pcx will look like on a console machine
sshot6.pcx 320x200 - a akiniod-like game that runs using the same engine,
this 270 line program was written in a day.
(try running the game : abuse -lsf pong/pong.lsp)
look at pong.lsp to see how simple this is.
sshot7.pcx 320x200 - nice action shot with decent lighting
sshot8.pcx 320x200 - just added this, color calibration makes sure you
see perfect graphics even on bad monitors.
sshot9.pcx 640x480 - screen shot from the free paint program we are releasing
which can be used to edit game artwork.
sshot10.pcx 320x200 - shot showing gun rotations

Reply 18 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote:
I think there's the initial CD release of the game which still uses the alien invasion/occupation plot. It sure is quite a clich […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've long wondered, what's the definitive version of this game?

I think there's the initial CD release of the game which still uses the alien invasion/occupation plot. It sure is quite a cliche, but it's makes a lot more sense than the prison scenario that replaced the earlier story in the EA version.

I'm not sure if the original registered version included music? Shareware v1.05 still does not have it, and it seems to me that it was released after the CD version (not sure). There's also the issue that none of the versions seem to record your settings for sound/music volume.

What I love about this game is that from the first shareware releases, the developers included the level editor and allowed the users to freely distribute custom levels for the shareware version. There was even a level design contest, with the possibility of user-made levels making it into the full game (I'm not sure if this ever happened though). There exist several levels which were made for the very first DOS shareware version (v0.33), some are available here.

Of course, when the publishing rights went to EA, the disabled the editor in their demo version, and also removed one of the shareware levels to make it shorter. The demo is still capable of loading custom levels and mods though.

Abuse also allows for some very extensive modding, as exemplified by the Pong demo game which was included with shareware v1.01 and v1.05. A while ago I found a website of Steven Chan a.k.a. Sprite, who had released some add-on levels for the game, and also apparently created mods, as shown on his page:

I started my game-developing passion around June/July 1996, when I tinkered around in Crack dot Com's game Abuse, which I bought […]
Show full quote

I started my game-developing passion around June/July 1996, when I tinkered around in Crack dot Com's game Abuse, which I bought because there weren't any better platform games at that time. I was peeping around in the directories, when I hit something called "Lisp" files. (Lisp, in this case, is a programming language that actually means List something something ... Maybe processing?) I made my very first game, it was called "Shootout". I made it under IRQ Design. Then I went on and created oh-so-crappy (but NOT crappy for me at the time) games in Abuse like Bash, Deviator, and ... uh... something else. More and more I wished it could be advanced, because Abuse was nice, had lighting effects, but was limited in necessary things.
shoot.gif

OK, but what's the best version from a pure gameplay perspective?

Reply 19 of 34, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFlibble wrote:

I played this a lot with my brother back in '96 - '97, and we both remember never getting the music to work. But I remember TRYING to get it to work and being very frustrated with it, so it must not have been clear to the user/player that there wasn't any, if indeed there wasn't. I've just been assuming that we just didn't have a compatible enough system for it to play the music... I hadn't ever considered that the version of the game we had just didn't have music.

Recently, I acquired a CD-ROM copy of the EA release via eBay, and it does have music. Pretty good music, actually. And the funny thing is that it has the Roland LAPC-I as one of the options...which is equivalent to the MIF-IPC-A + MPU-401 + MT-32...so incredibly, there's this awesome game from 1996 that outputs MT-32 compatible music! Might be the last game to support it, or one of the last.

(Yes, I'm aware I'm responding to an old post. 😉)