VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tuomas182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I recently joined this forum, because I have fond memories from games from 90s, like Wolf3d, Doom, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem 3D etc. I have tried to find this one game for over 10 years, and nobody seems to know of it. It came in yellow plastic bag titled shareware/freeware here in Finland. I don't remember the game's name in English but in the case it read in Finnish, Peloton Viikinki, which literally translated to Fearless Viking.

It has something to do with vikings (and it is not Lost Vikings) It was played from first person view, and you started from throne room. You could click things and people. When you back track out of castle you find a "open world" to discover with dungeons, tavern and people you could interact. It reminded vaguely first Might & Magic. Someone even said that the game had same engine that game called Deathwatch, which i can find.

Occasionally (sorry if spelling is bad but English isn't my native language) you would encounter with a black knight if ventured enough outdoors. In dungeons there were many enemies for example a boss, medusa and when you tried to hit it the screen text said "it is already dead" you could slay everyone in tavern and you could carry things like gold and equipment, even bodies of your killed foes. Equipment could be put on your character like in Daggerfall games. I'm very obsessed with this game since it seems to be very rare. I would be forever grateful if anyone would have any knowledge of this game. It must have been some sort of budget title.

Reply 2 of 7, by Tuomas182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The text in the game would roll from right to left, and you had atleast two bars in status/inventory screen and i recall other was agility and other was health etc. You could restore your life drinking potions. So annoying that I have searched the internet all over and nothing is found, the game was made in early 90s or so and came on one disk.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Google shows nothing useful about the game with this name. It could to have no English language variant, local national products may be hard to find. Also, name could to be other.
Moby about Death Watch showed that
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ancients-1-death-watch

It's not clear what language was in the game. What OS, concrete year, wich games looked similar.
If you read its manual - it had producer and developer, what you may remember (I doubt men realy forget things, they more have difficulties with accessing to their memory).

You may ask on retro gaming forums. There collectors can be who know about obscure games.
Author of frgcb.blogspot.ru may recommend forums or maybe give game's information.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 7 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's a locally produced shareware game, it may be difficult if not impossible to find all these years later. There wasn't an internet as we know it today way back in the early days, so shareware basically spread by word of mouth, and maybe through magazine ads or user groups. There wasn't a lot of global distribution of that sort of thing going on. Commercial games from that time period are easier to find because more people saved them. If there's someone from your country who has accumulated a large shareware library from the time period in question, that might be your best bet for tracking down obscure games and software. A lot of programs would have been lost over time if nobody was interested in maintaining copies of them anymore.