VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every single mice I've ever owned that had a wheel suffers almost the same fate: The plastics wear out and either the wheel itself totally snaps off or it exhibits this behaviour where after scrolling with it, it somehow triggers a up scroll even though I'm not even remotely touching the wheel itself.

Is it possible to replace these things with better materials?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 27, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure which make/model you're using, so I can't comment much on your situation.

I've been using Logitech M-BJ58 mice since about 2001. In fact, I'm still using one of the three original mice that I purchased in autumn of that year. I gave one away and I broke another while trying to fix it. I just checked the bottom of my mouse and it has a date of "2001.04.17" on it. It's still going strong, but I've replaced the scroller wheel on it once.

It seems like the rubber on the wheel eventually gets gummy and starts to drag on other parts inside the mouse. As I mentioned before, I broke another mouse trying to fix this problem. I opened it up and went to work with my dremel to create more clearance for the wheel, but my attempt failed and ruined the mouse. For the mouse I'm using now, I got a replacement wheel from another mouse I found at a thrift store. However, I think you can buy replacement wheels and switches for the M-BJ58 from a few sellers on eBay.

These are great mice and last an incredibly long time. I've stocked up on enough spares to last me the rest of my life.

Anybody got any tips for how to deal with the sticky/gummy rubber on a scroller wheel?

Reply 2 of 27, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep buying the same type of mouse over and over again to stock up on spare parts. Sometimes I replace the button microswitches on mice but as for the scroll wheels I haven't done anything more complicated than cleaning + lubrication.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm right now using a generic Staples mouse, it shows up on linux as being a "PixArt USB Mouse" though.

And speaking of gummy rubber, I've actually remember that happening on several "Creative" mice... never understood what caused that to happen..

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 27, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've become devoted to Logitech corded optical wheelmice. The only trouble the wheel mechanism ever develops is scrolling starts to become imprecise, like there's a random bounce-back. That's just dust building up in the wheel -- pull that out so the LED can shine clearly through those little spokes again.

Other long-term issue is the plastic nubs of the body buttons that press the microswitches eventually wear down. This is easily built up with a tiny square or two of cellophane tape.

Final item is wire breakage, usually within the six inches nearest the mouse. Symptom is sudden random cursor movements. This is a /lot/ more noticeable in Linux which is less forgiving than XP. When the random behavior occurs, run "dmesg | grep -i usb" in terminal and you'll see a slew of disconnect/reconnect. Solution is fix the wire of course. Either swap in a spare cable, or lop off that 6" and do some delicate work refitting the tiny connector.

Only other comment is I'm primarily a Linux user, so the wheel gets pressed a lot as third button.

The two mIce I have handy are M-BJ58/M-BJ69 and BP86.

Should say Logitech's wireless mice may be okay too, I've just never bothered to find out. These mice are that good. It's like finally getting a good keyboard -- you'll never change.

Reply 5 of 27, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Anybody got any tips for how to deal with the sticky/gummy rubber on a scroller wheel?

That's interesting because I've never had this problem with the same mice. Mine only get a rare cleaning with Windex. Perhaps you're using something else that reacts with the rubber? (Or perhaps occasional Windex use simply stops other buildup from eating the rubber.)

EDIT - should say that it is often impossible to clear up a gummy rubber problem. Once the rubber has gotten poisoned with whatever chemical is causing it to melt, it's over. It's no longer a surface problem that can be wiped off.

Reply 6 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

The only trouble the wheel mechanism ever develops is scrolling starts to become imprecise, like there's a random bounce-back. That's just dust building up in the wheel -- pull that out so the LED can shine clearly through those little spokes again.

Yeah this is the problem I'm primarily having with this mouse, but I'm not able to disassemble this mouse without permanently breaking it. There are no screws.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 27, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Yeah this is the problem I'm primarily having with this mouse, but I'm not able to disassemble this mouse without permanently breaking it. There are no screws.

Aw, fudge. If it's like the Logitech inside then you really can't reach where you need to reach without disassembly. No screw hidden under a sticker maybe? My main recommendation of course would be to just replace it with a Logitech. They're kinda the Model-M of USB mice. Get a few before they're too rare, is my take.

Reply 8 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably screwed regardless since I'm poor, and a "basement dweller" shut-in at that.

Tried looking around underneath my mouse and can't find any hidden screws, so bleh.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 27, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right then. If you have a Eureka-moment later and get it apart, I will add that all you need to do is tweezer the fuff/lint out of the wheel innards so the spokes are reasonably clear. It does not need pulling apart and washing. The LED shines through a little grime fine -- much better than one would expect. Washing will remove the factory grease around the little springs, and pulling the wheel out will let those same little funny-shaped springs escape and pose a re-assembly Adventure.

Which can be good fun too, I've certainly done all that. Just I eventually learned that trip isn't necessary.

Reply 10 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Though I think it's crap these wheels are made of plastic, they're surprisingly easy to break.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 27, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think I've ever worn out a mouse in my life. Wth are you guys doing where you are putting that much strain on your peripherals? 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 13 of 27, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Is it possible to replace these things with better materials?

If you're talking about replacement parts..very unlikely. As touching manufacturers specifically, most certainly so, but there's no business in using durable, quality materials to build hardware traditionally marketed as disposable, so I don't get my hopes up for anything better.

Nevertheless, a scroll wheel can be easily implemented without the more wearable, problematic parts of the rotary mechanism, but that implies going infrared, which would be more expensive.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 14 of 27, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

I don't think I've ever worn out a mouse in my life. Wth are you guys doing where you are putting that much strain on your peripherals? 🤣

I bought a new Logitech product, which are apparently dogshit these days. LMB wore out in one month (instead of click it went THUD).

Reply 15 of 27, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Probably screwed regardless since I'm poor

There's nothing wrong with that. So am I, and you're not screwed. I'm not trying to be a smartass here: if you aren't already, become intimate with the free section of craigslist. There are also the various freecycling networks.

Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift shops are also good. I find plenty of good stuff there. I just got a used M-BJ58 for $0.99 last week. After cleaning, I'm sure it'll be in good shape. If not, I'll keep it for spare parts as we've been discussing. You can find all sorts of used and new keyboards and mice at thrift shops.

DracoNihil wrote:

and a "basement dweller" shut-in at that.

Leaving the house and being social is highly overrated. Don't let anybody else tell you what should be making you happy. Just watch your weight and try to stay healthy while you do your own thing.

DracoNihil wrote:

Tried looking around underneath my mouse and can't find any hidden screws, so bleh.

Peel back any labels and check underneath there. If all else fails, scrounge up $2 and head over to Goodwill to see what you can find.

Reply 17 of 27, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hard to tell, but that looks like plastic with a metallic paint coating.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 18 of 27, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm another one of those people who have never had a problem with a mouse wheel. The mouse I use every day has to be around, like, 10 years old by now and the wheel still feels brand new. And I use it a lot.

However, I think there might be a secret to increasing its endurance; I never, ever use the middle mouse button that's also the wheel. I think that by not ever putting pressure on the delicate part you wear it out less. You might want to try that.

Reply 19 of 27, by ashbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have a Logitech G9 from 2007 and it still works fine, including the mouse wheel, although I had to open it up a few times over the years to clean it. The only iffy thing that happens from time to time is the middle click which sometimes double triggers.

Leaving the house and being social is highly overrated. Don't let anybody else tell you what should be making you happy. Just watch your weight and try to stay healthy while you do your own thing.

I used to think this too, but you will nearly go insane in the process. Nothing wrong with going out once in a while.