VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 27, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best wheel on a mouse ever has to be the original Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse. Steel wheel and bronze bushings for its steel axil pin. Very accurate, fantastic tactile feedback, and looked good to boot. But.... (Always a big 'ol butt isn't there), 1. it's been out of production since 2009, and 2. the mouse buttons tend to die after a couple years. IMHO, its still one of the best mice ever. The 2nd and 3rd versions suck though, so don't bother with them.

A good modern optical mouse at a fair price can be almost as good as a quality laser mouse. I can recommend the Corsair mx40 series. Good build quality, at a fair price, and above decent responsiveness for being optical only.

Reply 23 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Microsoft Sidewinder sounds like a good deal...

Why doesn't anything make the wheel out of something robust like steel or whatever?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 27, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that Corsair mx40 series uses a thick aluminum wheel and it works well. Its fairly wide, so there really is no way to miss the wheel and its down low enough to stay out of the way when you don't want to roll it. The button press on it is a bit stiff, but it seems to handle a bit of rough presses.

I do miss my original Sidewinder mouse. It was a high back mouse to boot, and those are kinda rare. Most mice are high in the middle of the mouse instead of the back. The way I use the mouse is more wrist movements instead of the normal arm/hand movements. The higher back makes that much more comfortable than a high middle. I swear that's all carpel tunnel really is for most people. They don't know that picking the mouse that has the correct high point for their movements and using the correct surface will stop the aches and pains. High back for people that use the wrist, and high middle for those that move their arms.

Reply 25 of 27, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's definitely possible to revive mice. This MX518 now works fine after a bit of a spring clean.

I'm not sure what was wrong with it, has anyone got a clue? I do have two cats..

Attachments

• furrymouse.jpg
    Filename
    furrymouse.jpg
    File size
    86.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 27, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Split some off-topic material to a new thread and moved some reported posts to the trash.

Dude, thanks to you and all the mods for donating your time sorting through our (the average user's) trash and being so happy and helpful in general! 😊 you guys be the unsung heroes of the internet.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1